Thread: Hey, I don't remember buying this...

Insert Coin (Level 0) outofkeyslightly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post Hey, I don't remember buying this...

Today I decided to make some room in the closet for a bunch of empty Genesis boxes of no real value to me. While making space for this crap, and sorting out random x-men comics I have no interest in, I happened upon three long boxes. One was the case to Descent (which I bought for the skinny puppy related soundtrack), another a complete copy of Cybersled (hurray?), and this little gem...

A complete copy of Popful Mail, that I had bought for $5 and totally forgotten about! The case was a little dirty, but doesn't appear to have any cracks at all. I've since wiped it off, and even managed to get most of the sticky off from the sticker. Sadly, the sticker no longer sticks. The disc itself is in excellent condition. I think I must have separated it from the games I actually play, and thusly forgot I had ever bought it.

I thought about selling it, but I'm going to keep it. I'm pretty sure it's one of the only long boxes I have left for the Sega CD. Not to mention the fact that I've already gone on record, along with the entire planet, of saying the Sega CD kinda sucks. I already own all of the Make my video games except INXS, Kids on Site and NFL's Greatest to remind me of that. I could use one good game. Also, I enjoy action RPG's, so who knows, I might even play it... And to think I was all excited for paying $3 for this sweet Ryu endorsed controller just itching to be used in mame. Super Baseball 2020 was probably the better bargain at $1.50...

HADUKEN!!!!11

Anyone else manage to forget about owning something special? Is this a sign that my collection has grown out of control? Will Popful Mail be the magical fantasy adventure is claims to be?
    Last edited by outofkeyslightly; 04-16-2008 at 12:22 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

just the other day i found a copy of megaman 64 that i had forgotten i bought and never even tried out. not quite as awesome as your find though, if you ever DO decide to sell that pm me .
    For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle.

DP Feedback Thread
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ight=mrsparkle

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

I was cleaning out some boxes and I found extra copies of Half-Life and some expansions.

I'm going to be giving them away soon, here's hoping I can find the rest...
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The only time this happens to me is when.....I buy a cheap copy of a game, completely forgetting that I already own it. It's happened to me about 4 or 5 times now.

I really should start carrying a digital version of my collection list on me when I go hunting.

In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown... (Woodstock, IL)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Damaramu View Post
    The only time this happens to me is when.....I buy a cheap copy of a game, completely forgetting that I already own it. It's happened to me about 4 or 5 times now.

I really should start carrying a digital version of my collection list on me when I go hunting.
    This is exactly why I invested in a cheap PDA a few years ago...
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)
    Wouldn't you like to be a Pepper II?
    View my collection here:
    http://users.ign.com/collection/markm2112
    http://www.gamespot.com/user/collect...user=MarkM2112

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Cinder6

Finding a Zapper in a bin at my house a couple years ago was the reason I got into collecting in general. I know it's not quite the same as forgetting you bought Popful Mail (fun game, by the way), but had it not happened, I wouldn't be here at all

(So that means that any secret haters I might have have Nintendo to blame for having to bear with me...)
    Knowledge is Power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

Nah I don't own enough stuff to forget what I own.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

actually come to think of it, i found 2 nintendo power pads in my basement a few months ago no idea where they came from bringing my total up to 3.
    For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle.

DP Feedback Thread
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ight=mrsparkle

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

god i do that all the time with stuff, there no one time that really sticks out thats how bad it is.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i dont have this problem with games, but i did have a problem with game boxes and system boxes

i use to put my CD games into jewel cases to save room and box up the cases for safe keeping and during a move i found alot of boxes i thought i had thrown away and just 3 years ago i found my game gear and nomad system boxes inside a box that was inside another box that was inside another box... ahh you get the point
    i thought i lost those system boxes during the move

the worst part of that story is that i cant find my game gear box again .. heh
    Join the 3DO Chat here -- http://www.3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've bought the same game a number of times. I'm bad that way.

In theory I should make a list or something, but meh...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can generally recall if I own a game while digging through the wild. There have been several occasions where I've bought duplicates because they were either easy to resell for a profit or dirt cheap to own a second copy (like my two spares of Diablo and Castlevania SotN, both complete on the PSX for $1 each to give a few examples). So it doesn't happen too often that I don't recognize ownership before buying a dupe.

Now for other things, like my anime DVDs for example, it is a bit more difficult to recall what I have. I go in and out of watching videos so sometimes I'll dig through some tapes, DVDs, or laser discs and suddenly "wow, I have this. Gotta watch!" Same with records, sometimes forget about some great vinyls I own. Sometimes I'll dig through some bags of wires looking for one thing and find a wire that I could use in another situation that I didn't recall having, or misplaced it. Funny how some things just appear when you least expect or need it.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well luckily I wasn't planning on buying Popful Mail anytime soon. I've kind of given up buying Sega CD games anyway. When I initially started buying genesis things, I focused on the CD and 32X because I thought they'd be harder to find in the future. I guess that's only half true. I've focused on Genesis games since then, and although I've had to rebuy a couple games that I loaned out or lost, I've never bought a game twice on accident...so far

I have been unsure in the past though. One time recently the Salvation Army near my work had a few common genesis sports games for $1.50. I bought Tournament Golf, NBA Jam and Sports Talk Baseball, but I didn't buy Madden '94 because I couldn't remember if I owned it or not. It turns out I didn't, funny enough. I had madden 1-93, and 95. You can understand my dilemma. I don't really care about not buying it at the time, though. I don't think I've spent more than a cumulative half hour on any of the genesis madden games since owning them. I just feel its my duty to rescue cheap genesis games that I don't have since they're basically immortal... In the last three years though I made a rule for myself. Don't buy any Disney or Sports games, no matter how cheap*, until you have all the games you actually want to play. Toejam and Earl > Madden X (X = all of them) + Lion King + Jungle Book + Tazmania + Tiny Tunes.

I also keep a vague list of Genesis games that I want, along with a directory of roms within my set, of all the ones I own. I find that having the games themselves one click away is better than a simple list. I think looking over these things occasionally reminds me of what I own, so I don't buy it again. On the other hand, I have definitely downloaded things twice or more that I already had tucked away on a different hard drive or what have you. I'm horrible about groceries too...

*I will break for less than $2 though, I'm only human...
    Last edited by outofkeyslightly; 04-17-2008 at 08:35 AM.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

I had a similar revelation when I discovered a copy of of Shining and the Holk Ark tucked away on my gamming shelf. Took me awhile to remember where exactly I'd picked it up too.

But I've never bought duplicate games on accident.

And Popful Mail is an awesome game, you really should play it now that you've found it again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the best find of the lot is that PS2->USB Radio Shack adapter. It's considered the holy grail of USB adapters in Bemani circles because of it's lag free response times in IIDX. Discontinued and easily worth $20-$30

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I already had the adapter, I just unplugged the controller to take a picture, and they both came along. Funny, I didn't know it was "famous." I bought it at the shack a while back. I use that and an older version of RS's that I like slightly better, which supports wireless controllers. Neither have ever given me any trouble with lag or what have you, so that's probably why I never investigated other psx-usb adapters... Psx-usb = best pc controller evah. I don't own a ps1 anymore and my ps2 is broken, so now whenever I pick up psx controllers its purely with my computer in mind. Emulation of the psx looks better than the real thing (or worse?), and my psx was kind of dying anyway. I'm sure it found a good home. I still own a few psx games like puzzle fighter and c:sotn, but it's not like I can't play 'em (on the tv even.) Tetris Plus is probably in my ps1 top ten, and I kept that too, hehe...
    Last edited by outofkeyslightly; 04-17-2008 at 12:23 PM.