Thread: Okami - which version?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Okami - which version?

I was planning on picking up Okami for the Wii sometime soon, but I heard some rumblings that the Wii port was inferior to the PS2 version. Something about bad motion control.

I figured I'd ask to see if anybody had played both and could compare them.
    Thanks.
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have only played the PS2 version, but going off of what IGN said, they preferred the Wii version. The brush usage is much faster and doesn't break the gameplay like it did in the PS2 version. It's also 16:9 and 480p which I don't think the PS2 version had. The paper filter was the last point of contention. Basically the PS2 had a much stronger paper look than the Wii, but because the Wii's filter wasn't as strong, the game felt more vibrant and colorful. It's more or less a toss up with the filter. You probably wouldn't even notice unless you were running them side by side. Anyway, what I'm trying to say it, it sounds like the Wii version is better because of the improved brush mechanics. 20 dollars better is another question though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am buying it simply because Iecause I want the 16x9 support (I think PS3 upscalling will probably match wii 480p) I also think I will like a not so obvious "paper" filter which to me actualy made the game look grainy and less clear.

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SkiDragon View Post
    I was planning on picking up Okami for the Wii sometime soon, but I heard some rumblings that the Wii port was inferior to the PS2 version.
    According to just about every review so far, the Wii version is excellent. I'll probably buy it within the next several weeks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm starting to agree. I only played the demo of the PS2 version, and if it was anything like the actual game, it was way too blurry for my preference. I just got a new HDTV so obviously the 480p 16:9 will make better use of it.
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought the Wii version and I like it.

However, I discovered a specific technical problem in the "brush mode" that is probably why many are criticizing it. I have not seen this mentioned elsewhere. The brush is controlled by the Wii remote, but the implementation is the worst I have yet seen. Here is the problem; in any other game, aiming the remote down on the screen will cause the cursor to move down on the screen, regardless of the "roll" orientation of the remote. Many games (and the Wii menu) even roll the cursor to match the "roll" position of the remote. In "brush mode" however, this does not happen. The brush cursor moves down on the screen when the remote is pitched down (in the remotes own perspective). Therefore, if you hold the remote completely upside-down, the brush controls will be totally inverted. The only way for the brush to work as expected is if the remote is held totally level. I know it's not a problem with my Wii because the menu still works like it should. I assume it's not a problem with my specific copy of the game, but I would appreciate if others could confirm this.

It's a stupid programming mistake to make, and it's annoying, but it hasn't really hampered me that much, and I didn't even pin down this behavior until about 2 hours into the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was excited for the Wii version for quite some time. I had never played the PS2 version for whatever reason, even though I knew it was a good game. I have been tracking the initial responses on several web forums and the majority of the responses with Wii/PS2 comparisons have been negative.

I also wasn't too impressed with the comments from the developers about how much work they had to put into recreating major assets from the PS2 version, since they were not given all of the original game data.

To top it off, whoever made the package art stole the image from IGN. How a company can end up using someone else's image for the cover art of their own game is beyond me. Either way, it has ended up on the game case and strategy guide. Capcom has sneaked out a free cover replacement plan under the guise of offering you extra goodies to "enhance the game", but it is just liability protection or maybe a deal with IGN to prevent a lawsuit.

I decided to snag the PS2 version instead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it boils down to whether you own an HDTV or not. It's hard to resist the 480p and anamorphic widescreen of the Wii version if you do. I think I have nearly beaten the game, and I have no major complaints besides the above, which isn't that major anyway.

I'll have to go back to that PS2 demo I own and see what I think about it now.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by SkiDragon View Post
    I bought the Wii version and I like it.

However, I discovered a specific technical problem in the "brush mode" that is probably why many are criticizing it. I have not seen this mentioned elsewhere. The brush is controlled by the Wii remote, but the implementation is the worst I have yet seen.[...] The only way for the brush to work as expected is if the remote is held totally level. I know it's not a problem with my Wii because the menu still works like it should. I assume it's not a problem with my specific copy of the game, but I would appreciate if others could confirm this.
    Nope, it's not just you. Seriously: the brush controls in the Wii version suck suck suck suck suck. Like, I took the game back to Best Buy suck.

There's a little mission in the first hour of the game where you have to cut sparring dummies in half while your drunken 'hero' friend flails at them: I watched my ten year old nephew try and try again for half an hour. I couldn't get it to work either.

I bought the PS2 version and I like that one much more. Nevermind true widescreen. The controls work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The controls take a little getting used to. At this point I almost never miss the sword brush move. A lot of the later moves involve just drawing a line (doesn't have to be straight) from one point to another, which seems like it would be more time consuming with a joystick. It's the circle and figure-8 drawing moves that still cause some trouble.

Insert Coin (Level 0) UniHamachi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you spend a lot of time complaining about "waggle" and don't like moving anything other than your thumbs when you play, then stick with the PS2. Okami is simply another in a long list of games that are fail on the Wii.

If you like the IR pointer (which is my favorite part of the Wii) and don't mind shaking the controller during fights (which I am used to form ZTP and SMG), then Okami is a must have. ZTP has better dungeons, but Okami has a better overworld and the art direction is amazing. It's like what ZWW was trying to do with cel shading but didn't quite do.

As long as you use Z for slash (which is automatic), the rest of the strokes just require repetitive practice. I think Ready At Dawn required a little more precision in the Wii version than the PS2 version since it is easier to make the strokes with the pointer, but the game would be too easy if it were really forgiving. I'm somewhere around 80% successful with the strokes the first time, and 95% the second time. It just takes practice (which reflects the practice you need with calligraphy to acheive the precision that separates good from bad). After my first dojo training session, I started reeling off 8 hit combos easily. You just have to shake the remote in rhythm. Of course, if you inclined to pounce on any shortcoming to consider the Wii as fail, then Okami does suck for the Wii.
    Last edited by UniHamachi; 05-05-2008 at 01:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    namzep
    Steam
    namzep

I was impressed by what I saw of the Wii version yesterday and am going to have to pick up a copy, sooner or later. My cousin did say that his arm got tired after playing for awhile which I've noticed happen on a few games (most notably hours of Ultimate Alliance).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Another vote here for the PS2 version. The "widescreen/480p" feature of the Wii version is meaningless for (non-40 gig) PS3 owners. Put the disc in your PS3...bam...widescreen and 480p. Just like magic.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Insert Coin (Level 0) UniHamachi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okami does not have 16:9 support for the PS2. If you are playing it in widescreen, you're just distorting the image.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by UniHamachi View Post
    Okami does not have 16:9 support for the PS2.
    Very true. Yet it looks just as good as if it was originally designed with the 16:9 aspect ratio. Funny how that works out.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)