Thread: PS2 Midway Arcade Treasures 2...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PS2 Midway Arcade Treasures 2...

Why is this so difficult to find? I finally found one on ebay sealed for the amazing low price of $40 (yech!) but decided to make the purchase as I wanted it new. Thing that kills me is that I had this title before (also purchased new) but traded it off some time ago. I am re-compiling my compilation collection and this one is not only difficult to find, but extremely difficult to find sealed.

The gamecube/xbox versions are a dime a dozen, and Treasures 1 & 3 are a dime a dozen for the PS2 as well. But the second installment is a bitch to grab. Why is this? Low production run?

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Likely because it's a very decent collection of games for the PS2 (including MK 2 & 3), I ONLY wish that Digital Eclipse had made a much greater effort to perfect the emulation on most of the games the way they did for/with Capcom in the Capcom Classics collections, as all of the Midway Treasures collections are wrought with shoddy, sloppy emulation.

BUT, even though there are some sound/color/control issues ... Midway Treasures 2 is easily one of my favorite classics collections of that era. $40 is a bit pricey ... but you'll probably enjoy it if your'e a classics junkie.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I don't think it's rare either. When I found mine, it was $4.98 at Sears last year. I just opened it recently and I still haven't played it.

I think it's going for $12.99 used at Gamestop or at least that's what it was before...
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Probably a regional thing. It's used on GameStop.com right now for $12.99, so that'd back up that assumption.

As for it bing the hardest to find of the three...Frankie pretty much nailed it.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got my copy on sale somewhere for $10 in early 2005. Hmm...

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    namzep
    Steam
    namzep

I'm still looking for a copy for my XBox to complete the collection (the first and third were really easy to find). Come to think of it, I've only come across a copy once (the Xbox one) and really wish I had bought it then. May have to resort to ebay to get ahold of it at some point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

While we're on the subject ... Treasures Volume 1 is a heartbreaking collection for me, with some of Midway/Atari's best games from the eras that it spans ... with almost every emulated version having some type of control issue rendering it nearly un-playable.

Marble Madness, Spy Hunter, Paperboy, Rampart ... all completely janked by AWFUL controller support/lacking decent analog sensitivity/speed adjustment ...

The PS1 Midway/Atari "treasures" discs in almost every case include superior control emulation/sensitivity.

... speaking of shitty control emulation ... don't even get me STARTED on Arcade Treasures 3 ... what a waste of great arcade driving games.

*sigh* still, the arcade classic junkie in me bought them all ... and remains pretty disappointed in them (if it's not obvious) to this day.

Volume 2 IS the best one, so at least you didn't pay $40 for Volume 3!
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zektor View Post
    Why is this so difficult to find? I finally found one on ebay sealed for the amazing low price of $40 (yech!) but decided to make the purchase as I wanted it new. Thing that kills me is that I had this title before (also purchased new) but traded it off some time ago. I am re-compiling my compilation collection and this one is not only difficult to find, but extremely difficult to find sealed.

The gamecube/xbox versions are a dime a dozen, and Treasures 1 & 3 are a dime a dozen for the PS2 as well. But the second installment is a bitch to grab. Why is this? Low production run?
    Hmm...That's weird. I'm in Tennessee and I always see at least 3 or 4 sitting on the shelves at any Gamestop. I have all three and I'm sure I didn't pay any more than 10 dollars for it.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

frankie... is the digital control bad too? i wouldnt dream of using analog sticks for these games anyway.

i have all 3 and i think i paid 5-10$ for each w/ various discounts/coupons in hte last year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta! View Post
    frankie... is the digital control bad too? i wouldnt dream of using analog sticks for these games anyway.

i have all 3 and i think i paid 5-10$ for each w/ various discounts/coupons in hte last year.
    Well ... since most of the games that have MAJOR MAJOR control issues are ones that had trackballs, steering wheels, flight yokes, pedals, and so on and so forth ... the analogs at LEAST have the benefit of having varying degrees of motion sensitivity.

Unfortunately, for the most part, there's no way to tweak the sensitivity to any tollerable degree in-game.

Digital controls are fine for the games like Mortal Kombat, Rampage ... no problems there.

But anything that has a non-digital arcade stick is a problem.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 04-18-2008 at 05:04 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know...I have the Game Cube versions of the first two and the controlls seem fine. Then again, the GC controller is shit when playing the MK titles.

And why no MK1? That's my favorite and it's not on there...

Take a hike, wang-broom!
    I swear I can smell your stinky hands from here!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the problem is that zektor was trying to find the game new, which may or may not be plentiful and possible to find new at this late date in the PS2's life cycle. I'm sure there were plenty of copies available, but at this point, most of the people who wanted it either opened it to play it or played the hell out of it and traded it in.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by josekortez View Post
    I think the problem is that zektor was trying to find the game new, which may or may not be plentiful and possible to find new at this late date in the PS2's life cycle. I'm sure there were plenty of copies available, but at this point, most of the people who wanted it either opened it to play it or played the hell out of it and traded it in.
    I suppose I could find it at a Gamestop locally if I were to travel around, but I also know I would not get a disc to the caliber I would want to keep in my compilation collection. Every other disc I have (and boxes/manuals) are in brand new condition, and I just would not accept less. But still, while checking ebay for weeks, I did notice that the game (PS2 version that is) does not come up even nearly as much as the other console versions.

Either way, glad I got it. The PS2 just has such a great variety of compilations available, and this one is one of the best I have ever played. On a side note, the Capcom and Taito compilations are excellent as well. I'm just a compilation whore, I know

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Quote Originally Posted by zektor View Post
    I suppose I could find it at a Gamestop locally if I were to travel around, but I also know I would not get a disc to the caliber I would want to keep in my compilation collection. Every other disc I have (and boxes/manuals) are in brand new condition, and I just would not accept less. But still, while checking ebay for weeks, I did notice that the game (PS2 version that is) does not come up even nearly as much as the other console versions.

Either way, glad I got it. The PS2 just has such a great variety of compilations available, and this one is one of the best I have ever played. On a side note, the Capcom and Taito compilations are excellent as well. I'm just a compilation whore, I know
    i got my copy pristine from gamestop.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta! View Post
    i got my copy pristine from gamestop.
    YMMV.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

got mine brand new in the day, but the MK3 emulation SUCKS. I believe its the same 2 stages over and over, and the shadows just arent right, and the sound is a lower bitrate than Mk2.
    I may hook this one up again just for Mk2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I believe that this was released around the same time as Mortal Kombat Deception (?). Anyway, there was a Special Edition release that came with these and it featured the original MK. I assume that they pulled it from Midway 2 so as to not have a redundant release.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    namzep
    Steam
    namzep

Finally found a copy at my local Gamestop for the XBox. The disc is pristine but the outer artwork has a small rip in it (it will do till I track down another copy, though).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jestr View Post

I believe that this was released around the same time as Mortal Kombat Deception (?). Anyway, there was a Special Edition release that came with these and it featured the original MK. I assume that they pulled it from Midway 2 so as to not have a redundant release.
    No, game companies don't care about such things as that, especially when its just one title. It was pulled because it was decided to make it a bonus for Deception to entice people to buy the special edition of that along with MAT2 if they wanted to get all three of the original Mortal Kombats.