Thread: Mortal Kombat VS. DC Universe.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Mortal Kombat VS. DC Universe.

Courtesy of MortalKombatOnline.
    What does everyone think of this? Apparently more info is forthcoming tomorrow. I'm wondering if they're going to include fatalities or not. While it seems like a silly thought, I really don't see DC being cool with having their characters killed horribly in a game. If that's the case, this will just be another MK game I haven't played since the fourth one.
    Last edited by Sudo; 04-18-2008 at 12:37 AM.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm a mod over at MKO. It's been a strong rumor for a while now.

Personally, MK has gone in the shitter. MK: Armageddon was horrendous. There's no way this new game can be any worse.

If anything this will get people interested in MK again...but who knows? If the game sucks it sucks. If it's better it's better. But I'm not looking forward to cleaning up those message boards with 80% of the MK fanbase crying "sellout!" and the soon to be influx of comic book fanboys doing the same damn thing.

On the bright side, the Sub-Zero/Batman render is something I keep looking at and keep laughing at just as hard. It's too funny to not be awesome.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So Midway is gonna try to rip off Capcom?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There will not be any fatalities for that exact reason, Warner Bros/DC doesn't want to have any of their characters being killed. I know for sure it'll have Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and the Green Lantern. I can't remember the others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Quote Originally Posted by madman77 View Post
    There will not be any fatalities for that exact reason, Warner Bros/DC doesn't want to have any of their characters being killed.
    A Mortal Kombat game without fatalities, that's sure to be a winner.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's always the possibility of everyone's favorite finisher to show up Of coure, I'm referring to the almighty FRIENDSHIP.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

I am utterly without wisdom on this. Who the Hell green-lit this thing? Is Midway under the assumption that the Mortal Kombat license still retains some legitimacy? If so, why?

Some people still like Mortal Kombat. Some people like to pound on their balls with rubber mallets. I submit that the two are related activities.

Strawberry (Level 2) emceelokey's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey tonythetiger, I haven't been back on that site sinc I first played MKA and pretty much felt like I had been betrayed and I have since turned my back on MK.

If there's plans on including a bunch of characters from each company then it only lends itself to either a fighting or brawler type of game. MKA barely had fatalities and I doubt that DC would want anything to do with that either. Or they can pull a Soul Calibur and have a few characters show up per each console. No matter what I WILL buy it because I'm a MK mark... and a fool.

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    I'm a mod over at MKO.
    Good. Then maybe you can answer this: What does "next-generation" mean to the author of that post?
    Back on topic: I hope it's good. I mean, it can't be worse than what we already get so shit...bring it on.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is just a terrible idea. I don't like Mortal Kombat that much, but I feel bad for the MK fans who will have to suffer this crap with DC fans like me.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Quote Originally Posted by josekortez View Post
    This is just a terrible idea. I don't like Mortal Kombat that much, but I feel bad for the MK fans who will have to suffer this crap with DC fans like me.
    It's too early to say whether or not this is a terrible idea but I will say that it doesn't sound good. They haven't made a decent MK game in, what, ten years? (UMK3) They may as well be making MK vs. Portal Runner. I hope they realize that after all these years, MK doesn't suck because it's missing Batman. I, too, feel bad for the MK fans but maybe if this one turns out to be shit they'll finally get a good MK a couple years from now. I mean, I don't think we would have TR: Legend if we didn't bottom out with TR: AoD. Sometimes titles just go through a really long dry spell. Again, I feel for the MK fans because, regardless what they say, they are hoping this will be good and it is likely that they will be disappointed. You gotta think "Uhh...how about you just get MK right? We can talk about adding Batman after that."

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

WOW, this seems like a very sad crossover. This makes no sense, Mortal Kombat characters mixed with the DC universe... why not just take the characters from the Garfield cartoon strip and pit them against Transformers. Same concept.
    MK is one of my least favorite series, and this just looks like a ploy to cash in once more on the cheesy MK license. Because lets be honest, the main draw to MK and MK2 was the blood and gore. The gameplay wasn't all that solid. Combining these 2 series seems like just another crack pot scheme to sell crappy games. Why not come up with new characters in a quality game.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by madman77 View Post
    There will not be any fatalities for that exact reason, Warner Bros/DC doesn't want to have any of their characters being killed. I know for sure it'll have Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and the Green Lantern. I can't remember the others.
    Ok, so a Mortal Kombat game without fatalities... so what were gonna get at the end of a fight is just one guy getting "knocked out" or both guys shaking hands.
    But even if they did put fatalities in the game, it would make no sense. Its not logical for any of the good DC characters to massacre anyone really, especially in a violent manner.

And this match-up of MK vs. DC makes no sense... all the MK characters are just super violent bad-asses, where most of the DC superheroes are virtually invincible. How can any mortal man, or group of mortal man even stand a chance against green lantern or superman. These companies gotta stop selling us this shit and come up with some good ideas.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    Ok, so a Mortal Kombat game without fatalities... so what were gonna get at the end of a fight is just one guy getting "knocked out" or both guys shaking hands.
    But even if they did put fatalities in the game, it would make no sense. Its not logical for any of the good DC characters to massacre anyone really, especially in a violent manner.

And this match-up of MK vs. DC makes no sense... all the MK characters are just super violent bad-asses, where most of the DC superheroes are virtually invincible. How can any mortal man, or group of mortal man even stand a chance against green lantern or superman. These companies gotta stop selling us this shit and come up with some good ideas.

pssst, raiden is a god, and scorpion is an undead demon...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally I think that this game is coming because Midway knows that the last two or three Mortal Kombat games were stinkers so now they're trying to do a Marvel vs Capcom sorta thing because seeing what happened to that(200 a pop on ebay) they think that this will do the same thing and be sold out within a matter of days. I'd reserve it if it was 30.00. If it was 50, no way.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You guys forget the MK games still SELL.

IN fact, Mortal Kombat is one of the primary factors Midway hasn't went into bankruptcy quite yet.

As far as gameplay goes, yes, everyone loves UMK3, we know.

Mortal Kombat Deception, with the original Konquest Mode and gameplay without sidestep infinites is not a bad game by any stretch. Now Deadly Alliance and Armageddon are whole other stories, and MKIV just had a pile of glitches, but it was playable.

Regardless, the games sell well still. As much as I love Street Fighter, please tell me the last time a SF game has outsold an MK game? (I'm talking strictly sales here now) Capcom Fighting Evolution? Alpha Anthology? Anniversary Edition? Capcom VS SNK 2? Stinkers in sales compared to the MK stuff. Now gameplay is a whole other story on those, but the point is, the license is extremely viable still.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

Even though Mortal Kombat is the film at the bottom of the fighting game barrel, I'm a sucker for cross-over games like this. I'll be buying it. Twice if they squeeze Morphius in it.
    "Be proud of what we make you do." - Master Shake, SGC2C - Baffler Meal
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 11killer11 View Post
    Personally I think that this game is coming because Midway knows that the last two or three Mortal Kombat games were stinkers so now they're trying to do a Marvel vs Capcom sorta thing because seeing what happened to that(200 a pop on ebay) they think that this will do the same thing and be sold out within a matter of days. I'd reserve it if it was 30.00. If it was 50, no way.

WTF? Only reason that game goes that high and Capcom never reprinted it is because they lost the Marvel license. Capcom is famous for reprinting high sellers like the RE series, or in demand one off titles from distributors like Pocket Fighter, Mega Mans, and some RE GameCube games.

Not a chance anything remotely similar will happen with this game. It will be a million seller, be re-released, etc.

It won't be $30. You are talking about royalties now with a big license.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

All I can say is...

STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID.

And I bet Dan Didio is the one behind this monstrosity. He killed my favorite characters and now he wants to kill the company's credibility!
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

"Next Gen" means Xbox 360/PS3. I figure there's no reason to call it "next gen" anymore but whatever.

As for why this exists...something tells me it happened much like how Kingdom Hearts came to be. Somehow Midway got the rights to make a DC fighting game and figured "Hey, we have all these MK characters so why the hell not?"

If anything this is Ed Boon & Co.'s way of admitting that MK has lost all credibility and their way of looking to earn some of it back by riding on the shoulders of some big time superheroes. At minimum you know this is going to sell a hell of a lot better than previous MK games.