Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A ROCK BAND "Still Alive" CHALLENGE for DP members! (with a tasty prize)

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Default A ROCK BAND "Still Alive" CHALLENGE for DP members! (with a tasty prize)

In celebration of the PSN Store coming back and updating it's Rock Band catalog yesterday I challenged myself to get a significant global rank on Still Alive.

I am currently (4/25/08) #6 in the world on the PS3 Rock Band Vocals leaderboads for Still Alive with a score of 200,148

I'm pretty sure I'm currently the top DP member for that song, so for the remainder of April and most of May - if any of you would like to challenge me (VOCALS ONLY), here's how I see it happening rules-wise:

• Knock me off my spot on the PS3 Rock Band leaderboard.
    • Rank with a higher SCORE on the 360 Rock Band leaderboard.
    • Give me ONE 24 hour grace period (per each person that tops my score) to match/best your score. If I can't do it for ANY reason (including no access to my system), I'll happily concede.
    • In the event that I top another user's winning score within the 24 hour grace period, and the same user tops me a second time any time up till the contest's end, I'll automatically concede.
    • You'll have till the Saturday of the May NAVA to try to top my score.
    • One winner. One cake. First to the goal.

If you win I will bake you a Weighted Companion Cube cake* and bring it to the following NAVA ...

... for those of you who have sampled my baked treats, I'm sure you'll agree that it's worth the challenge!

Please provide some type of photographic proof of your PSN or XBL account if you beat me. (Or if you're already ranked higher on that track, cough up some proof.)

I'll be out of state till next Thursday so this is a good chance to get me while I have no recourse on matching your score!!!

CURRENT STANDINGS:

KingPong took the lead with 197,060 on the 360 leaderboards on 4/18
    Frankie_Says_Relax returned with an eventual score of 200,148 on the PSN leaderboards on 4/19

*YOUR cake (if you win) is not a lie ... but since it hasn't been baked yet, technically - it's still just a theory!
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 04-25-2008 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Updated PSN leaderboard standing
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GnawRadar

Congratulations. It must have been quite the challenge to beat out DrPoop

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

It was!

Incidentally, Dr. Poop is the "arch enemy" of my alter ego "The Flying Burrito".

Also : updated. I felt that #25 wasn't REALLY a challenge for gamers the calibur of the DP forum, so I went back, took a deep breath, practiced by best vocoder voice, busted out some much more tasty GLaDOS lyrics, and I'm NOW currently ranked #7 with a total score of 196,952.

I'll update the leaderboard photo when the Rock Band servers catch up.

GAME ON KIDS, there's CAKE hanging in the balance!!
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 04-18-2008 at 01:48 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    shupirate

I need to get a microphone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I revised/finalized my contest rules in the 1st post.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Well I'm ranked #68 on Bass for Brainpower, I think that's an accomplishment enough for me.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SloshyCape0

yeah, really.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Wow, what a terrible song. I hate it when fads like this catch on for no good reason and had avoided Portal and this song. 2nd time through I got 197,060 on the 360. Being a FC it is down to squeezing and finding the right overdrive path to do better, but I don't like playing that way so I'll stop there.
    Last edited by kingpong; 04-18-2008 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Remembered that this laptop has a camera

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by kingpong View Post
    Wow, what a terrible song. I hate it when fads like this catch on for no good reason and had avoided Portal and this song. 2nd time through I got 197,060 on the 360. Obviously a FC so now it is down to squeezing and finding the right overdrive path, but I don't like playing that way so I'll stop there.

No good way to get a picture but whenever the leaderboards update I'm TagsAreMoronic
    Wow, you don't like Portal, Still Alive, Fads AND Gamertags?

I don't have the game on 360, and since there are no external ways of checking I'll need you (or a friend or other DP forum member ... anybody who has access to the game's leaderboard on 360) to put up a picture of the leaderboard.

It doesn't have to be beautiful, just clear enough to read. I used my crappy 1.3 MP phone camera to take my shots.

(Though I'm pretty sure at this point that I'll be baking a cake! )

What's the leaderboard like on 360? Does that score place you in the top 10 there?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Okay, looks good. I'll see what I can do tonight ... and if I can't top that ... you'll be the proud owner of a Portal themed cake ... which I'm sure you'll love considering your high praise of the game's fad-status.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Wow, you don't like Portal, Still Alive, Fads AND Gamertags??
    Yeah, I don't like much. I wouldn't have such a problem with Portal and Still Alive if people didn't make such a fuss about them. Oh, ha ha, the song made a funny. Meh. No need for all the nerdgasms it caused.

What's the leaderboard like on 360? Does that score place you in the top 10 there?
    The 360 leaderboards are quite a bit more competitive than the PS3. My score will only place me 102 whenever they update. Too bad they can't see fit to update the leaderboards on the web site to include DLC that isn't many months old. At least the outdated web leaderboard still has me at 101 for career, instead of 106 where I really am. 2 weeks ago when I last played I was at 85...

No need to make a cake on my account if you can't beat it, but I imagine you can. I just wanted to see what I could do. I've been meaning to make it to NAVA for years but since the classic side of things has waned I don't see it happening anyways (classic = pre-crash IMO). But I'm sure the regulars would enjoy it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by kingpong View Post
    No need to make a cake on my account if you can't beat it...
    (You say that as if it would be some kind of punishment!) The reality of the situation is that I almost always bake fun and tasty stuff for NAVA ... this is really just an excuse to get competitive in a fun and friendly way with other DP members who enjoy Rock Band.

I think the biggest irony is that I wound up making you play a song you don't like!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think the biggest irony is that I wound up making you play a song you don't like!
    I've just been trying to get some more score out of I Get By and Timmy & the Lords of the Underworld - having to play Still Alive wasn't that bad. No luck on those two songs but I was able to set new highs in 4 or 5 songs and move all the way up to... 104.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Well, even if it's just a contest between you and I (I hope some other DP members get in on this ... who knows it could be a cool regular thing with different songs/instruments) this is turning out to be fun for me ...

I'm pretty surprised that I managed to squeak out a few more points ... it really takes a lot of focus to modulate like a vocoder voice.

This makes me #3 (which eventually became #4) in the world for the PS3 Leaderboards on Still Alive, and proves that I'm up for a challenge, even if it means singing like a female robot in front of my girlfriend!

Also, I don't envy your attempt to play that Timmy & TLOTU song for more points ... I can't stand that when it comes up in world tour with my friends and I'm singing.

Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 04-19-2008 at 01:31 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

That's my OFFICIAL last entry for tonight ... I've got an early flight out tomorrow morning, and I'll probably wind up DREAMING that I'm IN PORTAL tonight...

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd be up for some guitar and mic Rock Band competition (1 player doing both parts). I'm still waiting for the Wii version though. I can't hack double-duty on drums though. Much respect to the drummer vocalists out there.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The microphone is the one part of my rock band bundle that has never been released from it's packaging

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I just got back from Florida and checked the standings.

I'm currently #6 on the PSN Leaderboards with the same score listed in my last post.

ALSO, it looks like there's a new patch for PS3 Rock Band users ... hopefully they fixed the microphone audio and I'll be able to try again without such awful audio input/output.

**EDIT**

The latest patch for the PS3 version of Rock Band does NOT correct the tinny audio input/output, however it does appear to "stabilize" the shaky vocals "needle". I can't verify that 100% but that's what I seemed to notice after testing it out on one or two songs.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 04-24-2008 at 12:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Man ... for as good as I am on this song in private on the PS3 I really SUCKED at it in public.

I'm not sure if it was the way that the 360 registers vocals (as awful as the PS3's vocal sound is right now, that last patch did wonders for the stability of the vocal "needle") OR the fact that NJ is completely covered in pollen at the moment (I have awful allergies) but I was downright embarrassed at my public showing at this past Saturday's NAVA meeting on "Still Alive".