Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost Odyssey or Mass Effect?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Lost Odyssey or Mass Effect?

I bought LO used the other day - a GS clerk with a brain (I've known this guy for a while) convinced me that for a more classic RPG'er like myself, I'd like LO more. I'm liking it quite a bit so far, BUT...

I literally cannot read some of the text! My TV is 27", but it's normal-def, and it's getting really frustrating having to get out of my couch every few minutes to try to make out a word.

Does ME have the same text problem? I've got a few days left to return & exchange LO because it was used. Even if it has the same problem, is it so mind-blowingly better that I should get it anyway?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mass Effect was awesome, but I can't honestly compare it to Lost Odyssey for you. I would go so far as to say that it's my favorite RPG on the 360 so far, and it's almost as good as KOTOR. However, if it does have the text problem you will be royally screwed because you constantly are picking branching speech paths.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Will someone that didn't care for KOTOR like Mass Effect? I found KOTOR to be kind of clunky in the way everything was handled. Too many menus from what I recall.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

I've tried to play both Lost Odyssey and Mass effect on a normal tube 27" tv. And they both were nearly illegible. Switching games will not solve your problem. To actually use your 360 you're going to want to look into getting a nicer TV.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carlcarlson View Post
    Will someone that didn't care for KOTOR like Mass Effect? I found KOTOR to be kind of clunky in the way everything was handled. Too many menus from what I recall.
    I didn't like KotOR and I loved Mass Effect. It plays more like a shooter than an RPG, for what it's worth. As much as I liked ME, Lost Odyssey is far superior overall, IMO. It's easily my favorite 360 game, and one of the best RPGs that I've played in years period. I spent 83 hours getting 100% and all 1000/1000 achievements, and I'm eagerly anticipating the upcoming DLC that includes a bonus dungeon with uber-hard boss and new accessories.

As far as the text problem goes, you may want to look into getting a VGA cable for your 360. I was playing on my SDTV for a week or so before I picked up the VGA cables and plugged it into a spare PC monitor. It's definitely a huge difference, even at only 19 inches. The text is crisp and clear, as is pretty much everything else. If you do go this route, make sure you get the official MS brand cables though, since I've heard the third party ones are shit in comparison.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mass Effect, no competition. It has its boring parts, and it feels unfinished at times, but the core experience is pretty good.

I'm sorry, but old fashion turn based fighting is getting old. So unless you want a blast from the past with a shiny coat of paint, don't get LO.

I will admit, I haven't played LO...but honestly it looks like more of the same.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Juskin View Post
    Mass Effect, no competition. It has its boring parts, and it feels unfinished at times, but the core experience is pretty good.

I'm sorry, but old fashion turn based fighting is getting old. So unless you want a blast from the past with a shiny coat of paint, don't get LO.

I will admit, I haven't played LO...but honestly it looks like more of the same.
    How can you say ME is better if you've never played LO? I've never understood how people can say things like this. I didn't think I'd like ME because I didn't like KotOR, but I gave it a try anyway and came away impressed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Cinder6

I've not played LO yet (I want to, and everything that I've heard about it says I'll like it), but here's some food for thought on Mass Effect:

My first playthrough, I loved it. The combat was fun, and the story is very interesting. I didn't like KOTOR at all. The only problem is, the side quests suck. They are uninteresting, and extremely repetitive. Most of them reuse the same base design and layout, and are along the lines of "evil organization took over this base for some reason; go kill them", or "some parasite infected the humans on this base; go kill them". It's just...blah.

Also, most of your time is spent fighting robots; I would rather have fought more humans, especially battles against humans + robots (it would change the strategy up a bit). There's also no space combat, which is too bad.

I thought I'd like to play the game again. I got a few hours into it, and found that it had just lost its magic. I haven't touched it since.

Now, don't get me wrong. It's a great game, the first time through. I loved it, and could hardly put it down until I was finished. The last level is fantastic. The character customization is great. Voice acting is good to great. Elevators are slow as hell (okay, that's a point against it). It's going to be part of a trilogy, and I expect the later two games to be even better.
    Knowledge is Power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

You ever get that feeling that people don't read the first post?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Cinder6

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    You ever get that feeling that people don't read the first post?
    If that was directed at me, I reference this, also from the first post:

Quote Originally Posted by FantasiaWHT
    Does ME have the same text problem? I've got a few days left to return & exchange LO because it was used. Even if it has the same problem, is it so mind-blowingly better that I should get it anyway?
    Somebody already answered his text size question, so I told him my opinions on Mass Effect. I've heard very, very few complaints about Lost Odyssey from fans of the genre (that is, turn-based JRPGs), but I've heard my Mass Effect complaints echoed elsewhere.
    Knowledge is Power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

You're going to have text issues in both games but Mass Effect is much less text heavy for essential game play.

Both feature excellent voice-overs for all cinematics so as long as you can hear, you'll have no trouble following both games.

To the larger question, "which is better", the two games are so different it's not really a fair argument. For full disclosure, I've played, and finished, both games.

Mass Effect is the pinnacle of the western role-playing experience (so far). Lost Odyssey is, arguably, the most modern and important Japanese role-playing game of this generation (so far). I liked both games quite a bit, but as far as "essential" gaming goes, I'd have to say Mass Effect takes the crown and should take your gaming time first.

Lost Odyssey really bogged down in the middle of the game, features very unforgiving combat, and has long, drawn out encounters that artificially lengthen the game. That said, what actually happens when you're not grinding for skill points, is pretty progressive for a flagship, mass-marketed JRPG.

Mass Effect is just supurb all the way through. You can gripe about some elements of the game (elevators seem to be the most common gripe), but no one can deny the ambition and that, on the whole, the game is extremely successful.

But you really can't go wrong with either.
    "Be proud of what we make you do." - Master Shake, SGC2C - Baffler Meal
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the tip on the VGA cables, I'll look into that! Only a 17" monitor though...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Go back, and get Mass Effect.

Text won't be a problem. Not to mention, it's the superior game in almost every respect.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Cinder6 View Post
    If that was directed at me, I reference this, also from the first post:
    I missed the mind blowingly better comment, kind of funny given my complaint. :P

But no... wasn't directed at you.
    Last edited by Daria; 04-20-2008 at 01:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MasterMeltd0wn

I have both Mass Effect and Lost Odyssey, and I love them both. I have to say that the HD text is worse on Lost Odyssey when you dont have a HD TV. I personally didnt have any trouble reading anything on Mass Effect.

However I would never consider either of these games RPGs, but I felt more restricted in my control with Lost Odyssey. I also really enjoyed the conversation options in Mass Effect much better than in Lost Odyssey.

But bottom line is I really enjoy both games, even in replay value.

Xboxlive - MasterMeltd0wn
    Wii - 7663 3838 9454 2990

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Meltd0wn View Post

However I would never consider either of these games RPGs
    How can you not consider Lost Odyssey an RPG?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sudo View Post
    How can you say ME is better if you've never played LO? I've never understood how people can say things like this. I didn't think I'd like ME because I didn't like KotOR, but I gave it a try anyway and came away impressed.
    I've seen many videos and even live webcams of people playing, it's not like I haven't done my research.

I'm not exactly saying it's better. I'm just saying unless he liked old turnbased games in this age, he probably won't like LO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MasterMeltd0wn

Quote Originally Posted by FantasiaWHT View Post
    How can you not consider Lost Odyssey an RPG?
    I am stuck taking a specific path that was pre-chosen for me, and forced to engage in battle without any prior options and usually without any notice.

Plus the fact that I had no choice in anything to do with my characters generation and creation.

As I mentioned in the Pet Peeve thread, I have yet to ever see a video game actually capture the true feeling and spirit of a real Role Playing Game. Even the MMOs that come close still have severe limitations on there control.

As Video games I still really enjoy them, but NO they are not RPGs and Lost Odyssey is one of the poorest examples at an attempt at an RPG.

Sorry as Life Long RPG player in the real life, I find the extreme limitations of video games hard to accept. I feel they shouldn't be considered RPGs until they actually capture the true experience or an RPG.
    This is why this has always been my biggest pet peeve also. lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Meltd0wn View Post
    I am stuck taking a specific path that was pre-chosen for me, and forced to engage in battle without any prior options and usually without any notice.

Plus the fact that I had no choice in anything to do with my characters generation and creation.

As I mentioned in the Pet Peeve thread, I have yet to ever see a video game actually capture the true feeling and spirit of a real Role Playing Game. Even the MMOs that come close still have severe limitations on there control.

As Video games I still really enjoy them, but NO they are not RPGs and Lost Odyssey is one of the poorest examples at an attempt at an RPG.

Sorry as Life Long RPG player in the real life, I find the extreme limitations of video games hard to accept. I feel they shouldn't be considered RPGs until they actually capture the true experience or an RPG.
    This is why this has always been my biggest pet peeve also. lol
    So in other words you're just nit-picking for the sake of it. Your personal definition of a true RPG hardly relates to whether or not the OP is going to like Lost Odyessy or Mass Efect better. :Þ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MasterMeltd0wn

Actually in my first post, I did state that both were very good games, and both are worth owning, and I also stated that he may enjoy Mass Effect more due to the HD text issue in Lost Odyssey.

that last post of mine was just a response to how I could not consider Lost Odyssey a RPG. and my definition of RPGs is from the original use of the term, not the new corrupted version used for video games. I knew that I would end up ruffling feathers by replying, But I thought personal opinions were welcome when answering others questions, and when responding to direct questions when asked.

I will try and not express my own feelings and opinions in future posts and just stick with short and emotionless replys without backing up with reasons.

Sorry to those I ticked off or annoyed, it was not intentional.