Thread: Stellar Assault/Shadow Squadron

Insert Coin (Level 0) minefield's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Stellar Assault/Shadow Squadron

Has anyone here played this all the way through?

I've just started to play this and am quite surprised to see such a quality original game released for the 32X. The story has dissapered into a black-hole but the impressive 3D engine and spacebattles are where the meat is. This game is miles ahead of Star Wars 32X in terms of presentation and gameplay, in my opinion anyway, but is far less well-known - a consenquence of the platform I guess.

I know there is a Saturn version but I don't know if it was of the same quality. The 32X version probably pushed the system to its limits more than any other title released for it, and makes you think how much further they could of taken the much-loathed addon if it didn't die less than a year later...
    When you're through changing, you're through

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the Saturn version is actually a sequel, and it's of even better quality... be prepared to pay alot for it if you wanna buy it though, cause it's very rare... a used copy will cost you over $100, unless you get extremely lucky... but it's very well worth it, if you really enjoy the original and you still want more!
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree...The Saturn version is much better than the 32X version. I have both and bought them when they were first released. Great games. Wished the 32X version had better sound, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's a video of Stellar Assult SS in action. realcatgirllover on YouTube has missions recorded for comparisons.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mine for the 32x freezes every so often, but the brief periods of gameplay are sweet.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Kind of off-topic, but if you want to take a look at how much further they could've taken the 32x, check this out. It's a tech demo made by Zyrinx/Scavenger, known in their brief existence for their talent when it comes to graphics (Red Zone especially). Not exactly Dreamcast quality graphics or anything, but still very impressive, considering what did come out on the system and considering this demo was quickly thrown together in 1995. Definitely compares very favorably to the best of what was available for 3DO and Jaguar, and holds up well against the early PSX/Saturn games.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Kind of off-topic, but if you want to take a look at how much further they could've taken the 32x, check this out. It's a tech demo made by Zyrinx/Scavenger, known in their brief existence for their talent when it comes to graphics (Red Zone especially). Not exactly Dreamcast quality graphics or anything, but still very impressive, considering what did come out on the system and considering this demo was quickly thrown together in 1995. Definitely compares very favorably to the best of what was available for 3DO and Jaguar, and holds up well against the early PSX/Saturn games.
    Graphics look impressive, but that's all its doing, rendering graphics. Some clips of gameplay with AI and physics calculations definitely would drop my jaw straight through the floor.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Insert Coin (Level 0) minefield's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Awesome video. It's always fun seeing a system being pushed to its limits, even if it is only a running demo. Cheers for that.

It doesn't surprise me at all that Zyrinx managed to sqeeze that kind of juice out of the 32X, considering their previous technical achievements Red Zone and Sub-Terrania. They were masters of their craft...
    When you're through changing, you're through