Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best way to buy a used 60gb PS3?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Best way to buy a used 60gb PS3?

Does anyone have any idea the best way to acquire a used 60gb PS3? I'm looking to buy one in the near-ish future, and don't really know the best way to go about it. I'm assuming that when GameStops get them in they send them to get the hard drives wiped, but how do they sell them later? Are the hard drives detachable, and you have to buy both parts separately (when buying used) like you do the 360? I know it is the most in demand of the different versions of the PS3, and its price on eBay and the like is a little more than what I'd like to pay. So, does anyone have any good advice on how to get one?
    Feedback thread here

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

no gamestops do not strip them, nor do they usually wipe the HDs from what ive heard. they do get sent to corporate office for testing and checking, so youre safe buying from them. they charge 450+tax though, so its up to you.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The PS3 can use any 2.5 inch 5400 rpm hard drive, like those that laptops use. I doubt Gamestop sends them in anywhere to erase the drive info, since they can easily do it themselves from the PS3's menu. Your best bet for getting a 60GB would probably be Craigslist or Gamestop, as the prices on eBay tend to be a bit high as you said.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When they're traded in they do get tested but they are then sent to corporate for everything to be wiped and reset then they are randomly sent back to stores when they are done. Haven't seen many come through at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Montana View Post
    When they're traded in they do get tested but they are then sent to corporate for everything to be wiped and reset then they are randomly sent back to stores when they are done. Haven't seen many come through at all.
    I've been told this as well from 2 seperate managers of Gamestop, they do the same with the 360.

Seems like such a hassle, you would think they would provide them with drives already completely wiped to just swap out on the spot. Would make better financial sense.

As far as a 60gb PS3, maybe you could find one here you could fix:
    http://www.dealtree.com/cart/select_...102354&cond=14
    Never know, could be an easy fix.
    Last edited by BHvrd; 04-21-2008 at 09:38 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was thinking of getting one as well. But I may settle with a 20 GB as they apparently also have the Emotion Engine, and I can install a larger hard drive anyway. How much do the 20GB models usually go for?
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    JCinc421

Quote Originally Posted by BHvrd View Post
    I've been told this as well from 2 seperate managers of Gamestop, they do the same with the 360.

Seems like such a hassle, you would think they would provide them with drives already completely wiped to just swap out on the spot. Would make better financial sense.

As far as a 60gb PS3, maybe you could find one here you could fix:
    http://www.dealtree.com/cart/select_...102354&cond=14
    Never know, could be an easy fix.
    I work as assistant mng. at a GameStop and can verify that we do send all PS3s back to corporate and will never see those PS3s in our store again. Any PS3s we have (if we are lucky enough to ever get any sent to us) will always be refurbs from corporate.

As far as 360s, we don't send any of those back, we strip the hard drives, send the hard drives to corporate, and then sell the systems with either a wired or wireless controller.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Craigslist is going to be your best bet, at least here it would be. I picked one up with a good number of the best games at a good price. The thing with the ps3 is that it is expensive enough that people who couldn't afford it maybe bought one, and then if they get in a jam they'll sell it first. And since they are often in a hurry, you can get a good deal. I'd never buy one off CL without seeing it hooked up and working, though. I've read about a couple people being burned with dead ones.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got my 60GB at www.gamefunk.com, it was $387+shipping. It's complete with box/manual and everything you get as if you bought it new. Mine is in excellent condition and has been working perfectly for the past month.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been thinking about getting a PS3 also but only if it can play PS2 games. Isn't there a new model coming out soon that has emulated BC? I thought I remember reading something about it a few months ago but can't find anything on it now.

Strawberry (Level 2) JunkTheMagicDragon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    shaftinator84

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa View Post
    Isn't there a new model coming out soon that has emulated BC?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3 - scroll down to the models chart

that model's already out. the 80gb emulates the emotion engine and keeps the gpu. the 40gb doesn't have the gpu, so no ps2 bc at all.

the 20gb (aka: the original cheapo ps3) also had full ps2 bc.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just bought one off the forums here($420). that seems to be a fair price from what I've seen. The 60's are pretty tough to find used. I was looking for a while. The 60 has some extra usb ports, card reader, and wireless internet, etc over the 20gb. that's why I went for a 60.

I don't know what to tell you about finding one besides just keep an eye out. Ebay is always an option, but you never know what you're gonna get and they seem to go pretty expensive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    True Rush Fan

BC is a big advantage for Sony and I am surprised all systems are not bc compatable. Has anyone with a 20GB(hardware emulation) or 80GB(software emulation) model noticed any problems with any PS1 or PS2 games yet? Do the hardware versions work better. They likely do a firmware update to make bc even better as needed. Right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JunkTheMagicDragon View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3 - scroll down to the models chart

that model's already out. the 80gb emulates the emotion engine and keeps the gpu. the 40gb doesn't have the gpu, so no ps2 bc at all.
    What I mean is a *new* model with PS2 BC coming out. I thought the 80GB version with software emulation was discontinued in favor of the 40GB. That Wiki chart says it's still available but I haven't seen any new ones for sale in months.

Strawberry (Level 2) JunkTheMagicDragon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    shaftinator84

i hadn't heard about sony discontinuing the 80, but i'm not exactly shopping for a ps3, so i don't really pay attention. when i do buy a ps3, i'll be searching for a 60gb like the OP.

the only rumor i've read about is one that they'd eliminate the gpu and fully emulate the ps2 in a future model, but who knows if it's true. but if sony's track record so far in this generation is any indicator, i've no doubt there will be another model.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is suppose to be a new model later this year, rumored a possible MG4 pack-in. Not a lot is known, it may have BC, but if I had to guess it'd be like the 80 and use emulation. The cost of hardware BC makes the system too expensive. Really, PS3 has very little shelf space around here, and I don't think the system is doing very well at all, so I don't see Sony going back to hardware BC.

I bought my system for about 2 games, and as a blu-ray player. I wanted the BC just to conserve space.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lerxstnj View Post
    BC is a big advantage for Sony and I am surprised all systems are not bc compatable. Has anyone with a 20GB(hardware emulation) or 80GB(software emulation) model noticed any problems with any PS1 or PS2 games yet? Do the hardware versions work better. They likely do a firmware update to make bc even better as needed. Right?
    There have been threads on this in the past, so you might want to look for those. The rough numbers so far are something on the order of the 80GB playing about 75% of PS2 games, and the 20/60GB playing 95%. That's just my recollection from a past thread where I was corrected (I thought the 20/60 played them all), the actual numbers given might have been different (though similar). They all, even the 40GB, play PS1 games. I believe they use the same emulation as the PS2 did, which was pretty good.
    Last edited by Cornelius; 04-23-2008 at 02:18 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a 40GB ps3, and found it's ability to play my old PS1 Parapa the Rapper disc was limited. I don't know why, but there was significant lag in the machine recognizing the controller inputs rendering that game virtually impossible to play. Not sure if anyone else has experienced anything like that or not.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hmm, I wonder if it had to do with an LCD/Plasma TV. There are delays with older systems on HDTV's caused by the conversion the TV has to do to the signal. IE the display lags the inputs on the controller. Since the PS1 would be a non-HD system, if may lag a bit while being up converted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, the lag is most likely a result of the TV if you're using a LCD or plasma. I haven't been able to play any of my Bemani games since I got my Vizio LCD because the lag is so bad on it.