Thread: Street Fighter tournament help

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Street Fighter tournament help

I'm thinking of putting together a Street Fighter tournament at my local game store, and I'm looking for some advice. I've never been in a tournament like this, and I'd love to hear any tips you all might have on setting such a thing up.

I tried doing a Google search but came up with nothing.
    I only need 2 more NES games (US)!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    raindog151

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Link View Post
    I'm thinking of putting together a Street Fighter tournament at my local game store, and I'm looking for some advice. I've never been in a tournament like this, and I'd love to hear any tips you all might have on setting such a thing up.

I tried doing a Google search but came up with nothing.
    SRK Forums. Tons of threads there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay, I see all kinds of threads there advertising tournaments, but nothing on how to set one up. I guess I'll have to register and actually ask, see if I get any kind of response.

But I'd still like to get some input from the people here. Anyone have any advice for me?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Basic necessities:

1. Rules. Rules. Rules.
    Things like "you must use the same character throughout the tourney", length of fights, bracket types, etc. Pay attention to things like "no real world physical contact" and the like. Also, age / experience brackets. Granted, I watched a 6 year old whomp over 20+ year olds at a Pokemon tournament, but still. All of it must be clearly stated on a flier at the tourney, and better if it's included on your fliers so people know what to expect.

2. Location. Location. Location.
    You're gonna be there a while, make sure you're location is near a public restroom (i.e. fast food joint, etc) since most store owners would not want outsiders having access to the back room. You can also see if the owner would be willing to cross-promote. Maybe have a local mom / pop food place donate snacks / pop etc in exchange for advertising in the fliers.

3. Help
    Unless the game your using has an automatic tournament program (like Brawl), you're going to need helpers keep track of stuff while you manage the rounds.

4. Entertainment
    Have a larger area that the non-combatants can talk / relax / etc. If it's possible, have some systems set-up with *games that aren't* the tourney one, so you don't have to worry about people getting too much practice.

Like the others said, check out the shoryuken.com forums.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Rev. Link, I can help you. I've run about 100 tournaments at least.

What game is it? What's the entry fee? What format is it? Where are you advertising it, in store? Signs?

What date/time were you planning on having it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I was thinking of using SFIII Third Strike this time, though if I do this again I'd probably try it with a different game. See, my local Game City is run by some friends of mine, and they've been wanting to have 2D fighter tournaments on Tuesdays, so I'm trying to help them out.

They do Halo 3 tournaments there on Fridays, but they really tend to just wing it. However many people show up, they throw together some kind of bracket and try to make it work. I think I'd like to have people sign up in advance for this though, that way I'll know how many will be there.

The entry fee would be $5, or $3 if you have Game City's discount card. The winner of the tournament would get half the pot. I plan on advertising it in the store of course, but also where ever else I can. I'll have to make some flyers up.

I haven't set a date yet, but any Tuesday night would work for the store. As for format, I really don't know. That's why I came here for help. I was thinking single elimination bracket, and maybe have the final go to best of five or seven. But what if an odd number of people sign up? These are the kinds of things I'm wrestling with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Um... DreamTR?

Bump?...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can trust DreamTR. I've seen him help out at EVO several times and as he said, has run tons of Street Fighter tournaments.

IMO, you should start off with a game and a format first. These two elements tend to shape a lot of the rules that follow. Make sure to also check out bracket maker if you're doing double/single elimination (http://www.bracketmaker.com/).
    -Sosage

WTF is a Dim-Mac?!?!?