Thread: Current State of Atari Jaguar Homebrew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Current State of Atari Jaguar Homebrew

So i just purchased my first atari jaguar off of a member here at digitalpressforums. Ive always wanted one of these things i think the cool looking console has sold me more than the games really haha. Now as i commonly do when buying a system with a library as small as jaguar i decided to checkout the homebrew scene. What i found was pretty promising actually i found some information about festivals and gatherings, some homebrew games (some of which looked pretty nice), even some hardware development for the distribution of these projects. However all of this stuff seems to die out around 2005-2007. Am i to believe i JUST missed the end of this era. One project in specific the JAGCF sounded like a cool little project but the most recent info i find is that its being developed and that was 2005. Does anyone know of any current projects, meetings, festivals, or sites for jaguar dev? Does anyone know if the JAGCF was ever completed? Have any of these homebrew games EVER come out in a semi-complete loadable form? Can i possibly ask anymore questions of you guys? -Dan
    For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle.

DP Feedback Thread
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ight=mrsparkle

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Actually the Jag homebrew scene is alive and thriving, as is the Jaguar community. Here is a link to the best Jaguar forum on the internet http://jaysmith2000.ipbhost.com/index.php AKA Jaguar Sector II. You have to register and make a small amount of posts in order for all of the forums to open up. It's a really cool place. Then there's the Atari Age forum.
    http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showforum=14 It's been rather dead lately, but it picks up from time to time. Here is a list I compiled at Jaguar Sector II of all of the games and homebrews available for the Jaguar.
    http://jaysmith2000.ipbhost.com/inde...=comprehensive
    Last edited by Kevincal; 04-23-2008 at 12:15 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Unless you want to deal with a lot of people out to just serve their own interest who attack other member's of the community at a drop of the hat, I suggest you enjoy what you have now and not visit either of those two forums, either one can easily turn you off the system. It's a great console with nice games like Tempest 2000, but sadly it's online community is broken and a joke now, with a few individuals overshadowing the vast majority of the community who just want to enjoy their system and see it enjoy some life like the 2600 and other such consoles enjoy.

Though the rest of AtariAge is a great forum with a lot of members in common with this site.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 04-23-2008 at 12:28 PM.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Please, just because you had a bad experience doesn't mean you should be telling people not to visit those forums. There are tons of good people at both forums and Jaguar Sector II especially is loaded with Jaguar knowledge and information. If you are interested in the Jaguar as Mr Sparkle is, you would be doing yourself a favor by visting Jaguar Sector II and checking it out. As long as you are a respectfull new member, you won't have any problems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Wink

I've never even posted there, so my experience is only the result of observing, nothing that was the result of actions I took.