I can't change my avatar. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

Default Steel Battalion

So I will be buying a complete Steel Battalion off of Craigslist this evening and just wanted some advice. Are there any SB problems I should be aware of? Screws I will need? Common controller problems? Any help is appreciated. I already know about the screwdriver thing it comes with. Is it just a generic tool ie can I buy it in stores if the seller doesn't have it?
    Like free stuff? I have earned hundreds of dollars in free Amazon gift cards through Swagbucks. Check it out here! Earn 3000 points and I will give you FREE shipping the next time you buy from me!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Porksta

Pretzel (Level 4) miaandjohnrule's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    OriginalRope

you have to figure out how to play it- on a table? in your lap? Build something? I have a deck for mine that I bought. The tool is common, It's just a little hex head key.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Congrats on your SB find! Still one of my favorite games. Shame they killed the online server.

Anywho, the options menu has a controller manual diagnostics check you will want to run. It basically lights up when anything is done on the buttons, pedals, sticks, etc. Great for testing the 40+ things on the three-foot monster.

Also, a little heads-up, since the game does not allow you to pause, might I suggest setting up the controller breakaway plug within reach (The game will stop if it detects the controller unplugged,) great for bathroom breaks during those long missions
    Mekka-lekka hi, mekka-hinney-hoh

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by DefaultGen; 03-12-2023 at 08:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

Quote Originally Posted by slackur View Post
    Congrats on your SB find! Still one of my favorite games. Shame they killed the online server.

Anywho, the options menu has a controller manual diagnostics check you will want to run. It basically lights up when anything is done on the buttons, pedals, sticks, etc. Great for testing the 40+ things on the three-foot monster.

Also, a little heads-up, since the game does not allow you to pause, might I suggest setting up the controller breakaway plug within reach (The game will stop if it detects the controller unplugged,) great for bathroom breaks during those long missions
    Interesting, i will definitely use that diagnostics check. I believe I will be buying the later release (blue buttons). Is there any difference between the two outside of the colors EDIT: and the foot pedals? Is it also possible to just pop the blue buttons off and replace them with greens at a later time?
    Like free stuff? I have earned hundreds of dollars in free Amazon gift cards through Swagbucks. Check it out here! Earn 3000 points and I will give you FREE shipping the next time you buy from me!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have both and have not really noticed any difference between blue and green. I haven't tried to replace the buttons, but I've rebuilt broken SB controllers before and they are quite simple to work with, not much to the insides, so if you really wanted a mod, it should be simple.

Since this is your first time through SB, if you get bored/frustrated with the game, try the unlock codes (have to gamefaqs it, can't remember) to see what the mid-to-later mechs are like. Just the difference in the screen visibility and speed makes it feel like a different game! Also, every time you complete the game you unlock a faster mode, and on the fastest, its more like a fast strategy arcade game, where once you could lumber out of a slow incoming missile, now you pop that slide as soon as the 'incoming' alert is heard. Once you play the later modes with the 3rd gen VTs, you'll never go back to the thundering clodhoppers the game starts out with.

A lot of would-be fans of SB probably never got through the halfway mark in that game, which is where it really begins...

Aw, thanks, now I gotta go play mine again after remembering how great that experience was. *sigh* As cool as the progressive campaign was, with the lag issues and small installation base, I guess it was never meant to be.

Good thing the single player experience gets so good.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just make sure you know how to put it back in the box...

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by DefaultGen; 03-12-2023 at 08:39 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

Picked it up today - excellent shape. Thanks for the help guys, I'll have pics up in the April Finds thread after dinner.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry DefaultGen, I only suggested the unlock code for people who would otherwise stop playing becasuse of the 'awkwardly small view and lackluster weaponry' (not mho) the game starts with and not know of the actual carrots the game dangles in front of you for later progression. Two buds of mine were all hyped over this game, we all three got it within two weeks of eath other. Three months later we're hanging out, I'm bragging on the game, asking them about how far they've gotten, and first Pat, then later Brock admit they didn't get past the second/third mission. They didn't know the awesomeness to come later in the game!

I guess the best recomendation is to stick with the game, it gets cooler and cooler!

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Nice Find..

I used to place mine on a table but I got tired of sitting forward,now i just place it on my lap..I actually had two sets and just got tired of all the room they took up sold I sold one to the DP store.
    The pedals slide sometimes for me on my carpet..I played it once in socks and cramped my foot real bad on the pedals..(don't play in socks)

I got frustrated somewhere in the game and decided to use the unlock code for free mission mode..It made me get back into the game and much more fun..(I'm pretty sure you still have to do the actual missions in story mode.?

It's a very unique thing to have,congrats on your purchase

Unlock All VT's and Maps in Free Mission Mode

At the title screen, move the tuner to the following positions and keep it there for one second each position.

1-9-7-9-0-9-0-6

The numbers above are the positions, like a clock, except this clock starts on the right where the printed numbers start (i.e. 9 o'clock on a normal clock is 0 in the code. 12 o'clock on a normal clock is 4 in the code, etc.)

When you complete the code you will hear a sound effect then you will be able to use all VT's and play any mission on any difficulty in free mission mode.

This code has been tested to work on both SB and Tekki, if it doesn't work try again.
    Last edited by Videogamerdaryll; 04-25-2008 at 10:51 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some modchips might give you trouble with SB, I had to deactivate mine, because one of the buttons on the controller made the Xbox reset.
    Wii: 8285 8147 1575 6278

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here is a trainer i made for the game.
    It helps a lot.

http://trainers.maxconsole.net/index.php?dlid=386

I had the same reset problem with my moded system. updating the bios helped.
    i think there is a reset file you can put in the dir to deactivate that problem also.
    but its been about 3 years since i messed with that problems.

i would still like to use a online system link trick to play the other steel battalion game.