Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy 7 remake. WHY NOT????

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unhappy Final Fantasy 7 remake. WHY NOT????

I know this is an overrated game and there are better FF's, but come on! It was what brought Final Fantasy into the mainstream(unless FF3/6 did?) and it was a solid story with great game design! The PS3 is lacking tremendously in exclusives at the moment(until MGS4) and the resurgence of FF7 in the past year or two has this question raised and raised again:Remake FF7 like the tech demo showed?

Its a sucessful series, followed by these prequels and side stories, and yet the ultimate coup de gras(sp?i know im way off) could be this game, itd sell Ps3s by the boatload if done right. Id buy a PS3 for it(if not for MGS4 alone). I know i keep going on and on, but it would be sweet, eh?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Because SE are busy remaking all the other FFs and DQs for the DS, and making sub-par FFVII sequels for every other system under the sun, and don't have time right now to embark on a lengthy project that will no doubt make them obscene amounts of revenue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if there was a larger install base for the PS3, the chances for a remake would also be larger.

Cherry (Level 1) ErmangelnSeelen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know, I'm torn here.

On the one hand, yeah, it would be amazing to see the game done the way it was envisioned. It can be presented in the way the creators WANTED you to see it, without many graphical limitations.

On the other side of things though, I almost enjoy some of those blocky graphics. I loved the way they had giant rectangles for hands, the goofy way they'd stretch and move... they are almost nuances to the game!

Maybe I am just being stupid for saying that, but I really enjoyed the graphics, they kept things lighthearted at times, but were good enough to allow you to get completely into the story.

It's like the way people talk about playing atari growing up and creating the image in their head. Of course, it isn't such an extreme example, but the general idea remains.

Maybe I'd like to see a PSP remake of the actual game, with only SMOOTHED graphics rather than redone, maybe an extra sidequest thrown in, with a few minor changes (think persona3:FES or KH:Final mix)... I wouldn't say no to a new even HARDER weapon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

A PSP FFVII remake makes more sense than a PS3 version IMO.

I couldn't care less though. All I want is a new Rocket Slime Adventures! Yeah, baby!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It'll happen eventually. SE has gone back to the well again and again with FF7 for a reason, because it is the definitive and most popular Final Fantasy. A remake of FF7 is in my opinion not a matter of "if," but "when." And when it does happen, I will probably love it.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I firmly believe that it'll happen once they're finished with Final Fantasy XIII and Versus XIII. As of right now, the PS3's userbase really isn't large enough for it to be financially viable for them to devote the resources needed to do justice to the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nemesis223
    PSN
    Nemesis2233

I think that a remake for the PSP would be a lot better, re-making the game for the PS3 would have such high standards to meet that I would actually be afraid to play it for I wouldnt want it to ruin the original.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

With Squeenix remaking every other game they've ever done, why do people believe them when they say they're not remaking FFVII?

Here's a hint: one man's tech demo is another man's engine sample... They didn't do that tech demo for nothing...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    Nikademus1969

I dunno...they made a tech demo of FF8 for the PS2, and it was never remade.

Speaking of FF8, I wonder if it'll ever get the same treatment, with the prequels and sequels and stuff? I can see it now...5 years after the end of the game, Squall is a henpecked husband, while Rinoa spends all her time watching QVC. Or something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ErmangelnSeelen View Post
    It can be presented in the way the creators WANTED you to see it, without many graphical limitations.
    It would be one long FMV.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ErmangelnSeelen View Post
    On the one hand, yeah, it would be amazing to see the game done the way it was envisioned. It can be presented in the way the creators WANTED you to see it, without many graphical limitations.
    I have a hard time buying this idea. Ok, so at the time they were making a game for the Playstation, right? So... is it difficult to accept that maybe this was the way it was 'envisioned', and what they wanted you to see?

It seems like if it wasn't, they wouldn't be very good at their job of making games, and we probably wouldn't be talking about this one in particular so often. I think they did such a good job of conveying their 'vision' at the time that the game is now lauded and damn-near mythologized as it is. Kids who played it before are now older, and want newer and shinier so that they might ostensibly re-experience this myth nostalgically.

And they'll cave in and make it eventually, I'm sure.

Cherry (Level 1) ErmangelnSeelen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker
    is it difficult to accept that maybe this was the way it was 'envisioned', and what they wanted you to see?
    ooo, I hadn't given that much thought. Good point. My thinking though, is that dreams are generally not 64-bit. When someone thought up this story, I doubt they had envisioned the characters looking quite like they do.

That being said, this isn't an NES title, where they truly were limited by graphics. They aren't truly "limited", they just cant present it in a high-rez format. The graphics are good enough to not HINDER their vision, at the least.

I know a port makes no sense to this, but I honestly feel like ps2 is one of the best platforms for rpgs ever. The graphics and sound quality have the potential to be amazing, without that stupid "next-gen need" for realism...you know the one, where everything has to be so realistic that the game itself "evolves", which isn't a bad thing, it's just... no longer the classic rpg.

Ok, jumped a bit off-topic there, but it sort of ties into my fears with FF7 for PS3. Give it a HUGE graphical update, and all of a sudden you look stupid standing next to a Kalm half your size. Everything all of a sudden needs scale, and realism. Cloud dressing as a woman goes from funny to downright scary =P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

meh, I'd rather have a DS remake of Chrono Trigger

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    I have a hard time buying this idea. Ok, so at the time they were making a game for the Playstation, right? So... is it difficult to accept that maybe this was the way it was 'envisioned', and what they wanted you to see?
    Actually, this was the way it was envisioned. For better or for worse...

More concept art here: http://gamerhistory.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=848
    Last edited by ProgrammingAce; 05-02-2008 at 08:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well, if they remade FF VII and made the whole thing look like a moving Amano painting, I'd probably buy a PS3 for that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

at least you guys got crisis core. The small minority of ff8 fans will probably never get the same treatment of a imo better game :/

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

There's no need to remake it because Planescape: Torment and Knights of the Old Republic and many other western RPGs have surpassed FF7 in just about every way imaginable.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by calthaer View Post
    There's no need to remake it because Planescape: Torment and Knights of the Old Republic and many other western RPGs have surpassed FF7 in just about every way imaginable.
    Amen, brother. WRPGs > JRPGS and FFVI > FFVII.

So many people have hard-ons over FFVII and think it's the "greatest RPG ever", because it was their first "RPG". It really was not that great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    JCinc421

Quote Originally Posted by calthaer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LucidDefender View Post
    Amen, brother. WRPGs > JRPGS and FFVI > FFVII.

So many people have hard-ons over FFVII and think it's the "greatest RPG ever", because it was their first "RPG". It really was not that great.
    laughable...
    Last edited by incubus421; 05-03-2008 at 03:55 PM.