Thread: Power supply for Famicom

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Power supply for Famicom

I am wondering if any common US power supply will work to power the original japanese Famicom.

Thanks.
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A model 1 Genesis/SMS power supply will work fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by starsoldier1 View Post
    GUY WAS SUPPOSE TO PLAYABLE IN THE GAME
    My collection

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a similar question about how to make a NTSC SNES working in Europe, seeing as you use different powercords/supply in the USA than we do here in Norway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nico87 View Post
    I have a similar question about how to make a NTSC SNES working in Europe, seeing as you use different powercords/supply in the USA than we do here in Norway.
    You could go to an electronics store and find a suitable power supply for your SNES. If not, you can always use a voltage converter.
    My collection

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ApolloBoy View Post
    A model 1 Genesis/SMS power supply will work fine.
    Are their any widely available power supplies that can be used?(like radioshack or something) I'd been looking forever for the famicom my brother had bought years ago and I found it today. No power supply.

Also what are the orange and black a/v looking cables, that stick out from under player 2, for?

Thanks for any info. I want to try it out...hopefully it does work. Nothing on the inside appeared to be burnt out or damaged. Just a little dusty.
    Last edited by Lovlss; 05-30-2008 at 12:08 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    phreak97

Nico87, the american snes has a funky power connector, i highly doubt you'll find an adaptor suitable at an electronics store. you will however find something called a stepdown converter, which converts europe's ~230v down to america's ~110v. theyre more expensive than a regular power adaptor, but it means you'll be able to use any (depending on the wattage of the converter) import console from america or japan. you wont need a high wattage one, a small one will do fine.

they have this one on playasia, which is really cheap, but theyre usually pretty heavy and itll probably cost alot to ship it, so youre probably still better off buying local. you'll probably need a travel adaptor (adapts the plug to a different shape) to plug it in, too.

alternatively, if you want to organise a trade, ill swap you my power cable which is an australian megadrive adaptor with a snes cord soldered into it (professionally). it's the same voltage as your outlets, but youll need a travel adaptor which should only cost you a few dollars. as a collector i'd rather have an original cable (i have a stepdown converter), so if you'd rather have one you can more easily use, i'd be happy to trade.

if you're thinking of trying to modify a megadrive cable like mine, unless you're quite good with electronics i'd advise against it, playing around where theres high voltage is bad.

Lovlss, any universal adaptor from an electronics store will work, it's meant to be 10v DC with + on the outside of the connector and - on the inside. b ut if you can only get 9V it should be ok though (make sure it's DC though, AC will fry it). the original adaptor is rated at 850mA (milliamps) so anything that matches or exceeds that will be fine (you can go over with amps, but not with volts)
    Last edited by phreak97; 05-31-2008 at 10:41 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. Turned out the power supply I was using was fine. The problem was the voltage regulator wasn't working. I was getting the right amount of voltage in, from the power adapter, but was sending zero out to the board. Removed the non-working one and soldered a new one, from radioshack, and it's working perfectly so far.

Another score turns out the orange and black cable sticking out of my famicom are an audio and video cable. As I was looking at images of famicoms I noticed none had them. This is a real famicom not a knock off. Maybe the previous owner did it or did later versions have them?

Thanks for the info on the power adapter. Now to hunt for some famicom carts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lovlss View Post
    Maybe the previous owner did it or did later versions have them?
    The original Famicom never had AV out, so it's most definitely a mod by the previous owner.
    My collection