Thread: Should I include shipping charges in my auction?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Should I include shipping charges in my auction?

I have listed my first sale in ebay and I said the buyer will pay actual shipping changes and no handling charges. Should I estimate the shipping changes and put that in the "shipping information" area? As I said I am new to selling and wanted some advice from people who do sell on ebay. Thanks.
    Eicay varee', eisee' nardee'
    Can you dig it, yes I can.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As a frequent ebay buyer, I don't bid unless I know how much the S&H charge will be. I've seen and heard about too many outrageous S&H charges. I suppose that if a seller tried to impose a huge S&H, I could report them to ebay for fee avoidance, but I can do without the headache from the beginning.

I think that this is why many people just post a flat rate S&H charge in the auction. This way, the potential bidder doesn't have to contact the seller and can adjust the bid based on what the final total cost would be.

Now, you've said that the buyer will pay only actual shipping, no handling. So you'll have to go to the post office, get them to tell you how much for shipping, and then go back home to tell the buyer how much the total is? Sounds like a pain in the ass. And you're out of pocket for the packaging, and say goodbye to the time and gas of going to the post office to check.

Of course, if you're only doing this once, and it's a high-priced item, then I suppose that the hassle might be worth it. But if all that hassle is for an $8.00 videogame...
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know when I look at an auction I like to be able to calculate what the total price I'm going to pay for it is. When I sell things I just give a flat rate for shipping. What I'll do is I'll weigh the box and calculate the shipping to a long distance (ex: New Jersey to California). Thats the price I'll put on the auction. If the winning is closer than that...the shipping, plus the cost of the stuff to pack it, plus delivery confirmation, etc will most likely even out to the flat rate anyway. So basically, if the person lives in California I eat the price for packaging, etc. If their closer, it all adds up. Just make sure you state clearly your shipping in the auction. If its a flat rate, tell them so they can't complain it wasn't in the auction. Hope that wan't too confusing. Good luck selling your stuff.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bargora
    Now, you've said that the buyer will pay only actual shipping, no handling. So you'll have to go to the post office, get them to tell you how much for shipping, and then go back home to tell the buyer how much the total is? Sounds like a pain in the ass. And you're out of pocket for the packaging, and say goodbye to the time and gas of going to the post office to check.

Of course, if you're only doing this once, and it's a high-priced item, then I suppose that the hassle might be worth it. But if all that hassle is for an $8.00 videogame...
    You don't have to go to the post office to check. Weigh the package and go to the USPS website to determine shipping costs by weight.

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would rather overpay the shipping than not know what the charges are.

If it's accepted that shipping is $10 then the bidding will always reflect that. Even if everyone KNOWS the shipping will only be $5.00.

In other words, List the shipping charges. Weigh it on a bathroom scale, boxed and packed, and then round it up a pound (Depending on how big the item is)

OR, do what I do. I simply state Media Mail shipping is $10, Priority is extra based on zipcode. Media mail NEVER goes over $10, so I'm happy, and that's some pretty damn cheap shipping, so the bidder is happy. If they want it faster, then they know they'll have to wait while I get it weighed, etc...
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chadtower
    You don't have to go to the post office to check. Weigh the package and go to the USPS website to determine shipping costs by weight.
    Ah--handy to know.
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah. The USPS site has tons of useful utilities and tools you can use. You can print labels there with free delivery confirmation... get all your shipping costs, order supplies to be sent right to your house free of charge... the USPS site is your friend!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can get supplies sent to your house for free? No way!!! Show me the link Chadtower!!
    My Game Collection, Doubles Are For Sale: http://www.rfgeneration.com. User name is Shaggy. I will entertain any other reasonable offer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, since you said "actual shipping" in your listing, you're obligated to charge exactly what it will cost. In other words, the buyer expects the postage sticker to match what he paid.

I used to go to the post office to get exact charges for buyers. A hassle, but as a buyer myself, overly high shipping charges are one of my pet peeves. But now I've sold so many things, I'm able to make fairly close estimates.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy
    You can get supplies sent to your house for free? No way!!! Show me the link Chadtower!!
    http://shop.usps.com/cgi-bin/vsbv/po...yes&passFlag=1