Thread: Boxes and Instructions

Insert Coin (Level 0) Zora Mystery's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Boxes and Instructions

I have a lot of questions on this one. When you buy old games, do you get the box and instructions also? Do you recommend getting the boxes and instructions? Where will I be able to buy them besides Ebay?
    NES pwns the current gen.
    Come see my NES collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    JCinc421

If you can get older games with their manuals/boxes make sure you do everytime.
    Having games in complete condition can double and triple their value.
    There is really no easy way to obtain boxes/manuals...have to be lucky and most of the time willing to pay a bit.
    Best ways are getting lucky at garage sales/pawn shops/etc., buying them by the b ulk on ebay, or finding private sellers here and on other game trading sites that are looking to get rid of spare boxes/manuals.
    Hope this helps.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you're just starting out you're collection, I highly recommend only buying games that are CIB. If you're collecting continues to grow, eventually you'll sit in a room and think "wow, all these loose carts look stupid"

I realized about a year and a half ago that I hated loose games. After about 3 years of collecting loose games, I'm still working on getting the boxes and manuals for games that I bought loose.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DustnF
    PSN
    Alfador

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpman Jr. View Post
    If you're just starting out you're collection, I highly recommend only buying games that are CIB. If you're collecting continues to grow, eventually you'll sit in a room and think "wow, all these loose carts look stupid"

I realized about a year and a half ago that I hated loose games. After about 3 years of collecting loose games, I'm still working on getting the boxes and manuals for games that I bought loose.
    I came to this same realization recently, but it was coincidentally about the same time I started making more money..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Word. If I can't get a game with box and manual, I won't buy it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Viraneth

If I sell or trade a game, I try to make sure it's CIB. If not, I feel bad.

The only time I buy them not CIB is when they are really really cheap.
    For the glory of the Lion, and for the Emperor!

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    Word. If I can't get a game with box and manual, I won't buy it.
    That's the EXACT reason why I don't own Stack Up, Wild Gunman or Donkey Kong Jr. Math.

Insert Coin (Level 0) outofkeyslightly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm on the other side of the fence on this one. As far as retro things, I mainly collect for the genesis and have over 200 carts, not to mention misc. 32x and sega cd junk too. I also live with my fiancée in a two bedroom apt, one bedroom of which is occupied by our lovable weasel. Well not really, but his closet is full of other stuff like shoes, board games, tools, xmas crap, transformers, etc. Now even if I had all of the boxes for my genesis games, it wouldn't be feasible to display 200 of them. I just don't have the room, and even if I did, I'm not sure how I'd feel about inviting everyone I know over to a half assed room of doom.

Needless to say I have about 50 odd genesis boxes tucked away in a box inside Weasel's Closet. I plan on someday bringing out a couple cool ones as a showpiece. Maybe Two Crude Dudes for the homoerotic overtones. Sadly TCD only ranks a 6/10 in the innuendo catagory, narrowly defeated by Bebop as a leatherman in Turtles 4 and the entire Cho-Aniki series. I digress. I have a compact, but formidable tv stand and have managed to fit all of my sega games on one side in a mostly orderly fashion so far. Keeping carts contact side down seems to deter dust. I also keep my loose 32x games and n64 games on the same side.

On the other side I have 50+ Complete gamecube games, but it was a lot easier to be choosy about them. Genesis games are pretty cheap cib for the most part, but dirt cheap loose. Oh, and God couldn't break one if he tried. Some I own for pure novelty value alone. I wouldn't want to pay more than $3 for Normy's Beach Babe-O-Rama, box or not, personally. Chibi-Robo worked hard for his box...
    Last edited by outofkeyslightly; 05-08-2008 at 11:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think that cart only is ok but disc only is unnacceptable, a loose disc really looks bad compared to a loose cart, thats what i think.
    Rarity guide addict. ASK For TRADES
    650+ different NES carts!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Complete games look nice, but loose carts don't bother me. If I limited myself to acquiring complete copies only, I'd still be looking for a lot of the stuff I have now.

But when it comes to discs, PlayStation, PS2 and Gamecube games have to be complete unless the game is hard to find or too cheap to pass up. However, all the PS2 and Gamecube games I currently own are complete, and most of my PlayStation games are as well.

As for Dreamcast games, it doesn't matter as long as the disc is in good shape, though the majority of my small DC collection is also complete. I'd do the same thing if I ever started a Saturn or Sega CD collection.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only system that I really try for boxes and instructions on is the Virtual Boy. And any CD based console.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Boxes look nice and all, but they are a real pain in the butt in my opinion. I probably have around 120 boxes for my NES games, and at times I feel like selling them all. I feel like I have to be so careful with them, and they take up a LOT of space. Manuals, on the other hand, can be stored easily. I can fit about 10-20 in the hard plastic NES cases.

Even though Genesis cases take up just as much room (if not more) than NES boxes, I don't mind them because they aren't nearly as fragile. I can stack 30 of them and not feel bad about it, but NES boxes need to be handled with freaking white gloves. It gets old fast.

And as DigitalSpace said, if you limit yourself to complete-only games then it will take you a much longer time to build your collection (unless you are rich). I have about 900 NES games, and only 120 or so have boxes. Most of the best ones are cart only.

All what I just said only applies to pre-disc games btw. Now it's complete or no sale for me.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

While I'd love to have boxes, they take up too much room, and make getting at the games too much of a pain for me. I've got official game drawers for most of them, and just put the loose carts in there. I love having manuals, when I can though, because they don't take up much space. N64 is nice to have boxes, because the cart labeling is lackluster. Genesis has the great boxes too, but not ergonomic for me. I would also agree that a loose CD or DVD game looks pretty cheapsie.

That said, I often wind up buying games that are CIB, because I want the game and manual, but not the box. So I've got a few boxes full of boxes I have to sell off or whatever. I know, I am a retro gaming blasphemer, but I don't care about the value of the game, I am not reselling and only collect a limited amount for each system. A big reason I do this though is that when CIB, there is a huge difference in the condition of the cart. You know it has been very well kept, whereas many loose carts are former rentals that have been beat to death.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

For me it depends on the system. Gameboy games (especially the older versions) are really problematic - so those I will pick up if I can get the manual at least - about 1/2 of my gameboy games are boxed but they all have manuals. (I would love to have boxes for Spud's Adventure and Knight's Quest - probably not gonna happen though.) My turbo games all have their jewel cases and manuals, but not many have the original cardboard outer boxes.

My SNES (for storage purposes I don't keep the games in the boxes but I do have them), genesis, sega cd, saturn and dreamcast games are all complete - mostly because I started these collections when I could get stuff new and it was not hard to get them used in complete condition.
    When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always try & get the games boxed/w instructions if I can. Ideally in good condition too.

For the NES & SNES this can be tough (or expensive, or both!). When I got my NES (last year) I just bought a load of titles un-boxed which were dirt cheap just to play, & the same for my SNES. I'm just glad to have the consoles & cartridges at the end of the day, but I feel the CIB factor adds to my collection, with the box-art & helpful manuals. I get a greater sense of completion as a collector.
    Chet: It's futuristic, but that's a crate.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Rogmeister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Interestingly, I thought I gave away a certain game and recently found it still residing inside my PS2. Now I plan to keep it but I gave the box and instruction away with several other games. Anyone got the box and instructions to Rumble Roses? I do recall that there's a company that sells the manuals and outer case artwork to many games but I forget the name of that place and I don't think I have it bookmarked. I used it to get the artwork and manual to one of the GameCube Mario Party games last year...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I always used to keep my carts loose and my boxes and manuals in a seperate box. That way you still have both and don't have to worry about messing up the boxes. It worked fine for me untill the box they were in magically dissapeared when my parents moved while I was away at college

Also, I don't like how some game stores when you take the box for a game up to the counter they sometimes just give you the cart...only occasionally do you get a box or manual...and rarely both. Does this happen other places?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    I always used to keep my carts loose and my boxes and manuals in a seperate box. That way you still have both and don't have to worry about messing up the boxes. It worked fine for me untill the box they were in magically dissapeared when my parents moved while I was away at college

Also, I don't like how some game stores when you take the box for a game up to the counter they sometimes just give you the cart...only occasionally do you get a box or manual...and rarely both. Does this happen other places?
    Yeah it does! I was at a local game store & saw a megadrive game (case only, without the cart or manual, as is the way to stop shoplifting...). Well I knew they had the cart, but luckily it was accompanied, with aid of an elastic band, with the manual. (EDIT: this was one of my first collection based purchases out in a store!)

btw, Im off to university in sept. I'll be storing alot of boxes for my carts. I sincerely feel sorry for your loss man, that sucks.
    Last edited by Trevelyan; 05-09-2008 at 02:54 PM. Reason: EDIT
    Chet: It's futuristic, but that's a crate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I mainly lost all the boxes and inserts for my gameboy and games. Not a huge collection or anything but still. I asked my dad what they did with it all and he said he had no idea...which I believe translates "I pitched that junk"