Thread: Finally got a VECTREX!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chrozi

Default Finally got a VECTREX!!

I have been wanting one of these for a LONG time. Finally found one at a reasonable price.
    Got a nice looking system with 4 games for $40. A guy was selling a bunch of classic stuff on craigslist at really good prices. I also got a Nomad for $10. Can't beat that!!

The games all seem to work fine, but can someone tell me if the streaks of light that come from the center of the screen are normal? The guy that sold it to me insists they are, but I dont see any screen shots of Vectrex games that have the same light trails. It doesnt effect gameplay, in fact I think they look kind of cool.

Anyone suggest any games I should try and find? Can you still find the multicarts?
    "Oh my lord it's nutty, yup!"

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice finds. I'd be interested in hearing about the multicarts as well. How much do games for this system typically go for? Is this going to be an expensive system to pick up games for? I picked up my vectrex for $2, but it didn't include any games.

Strawberry (Level 2) Nitrosport's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The streaks of light mean the screen is not set properly. There is a black knob on the back of the vectrex. Adjust it untill the streaks go away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by erehwon View Post
    Nice finds. I'd be interested in hearing about the multicarts as well. How much do games for this system typically go for? Is this going to be an expensive system to pick up games for? I picked up my vectrex for $2, but it didn't include any games.
    They can get expensive but on average it's like buying a new modern game if CIB. I'd prefer to go with a multi-cart when the time comes because then you don't have to swap carts and you have everything. Now everything isn't that quantative, there's under 30 released games state-side. Cool system though.

Last night I was hanging with a guy who plays with lasers and controls them over a laptop serial port. It'd actually be interesting to put a vectrex emulator on there or a desktop and push the game out onto a wall. Here's a YouTube posting.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xian042 View Post
    Anyone suggest any games I should try and find? Can you still find the multicarts?
    Here you go, brother!
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116192
    "As you traitors roast in your own juices, I will be safely ensconced three miles below the earth's surface, listening to my wax-cylinder player and enjoying a delicious phosphate!"

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You should definitely buy Gravitrex, http://www.classicgamecreations.com/gravitrex.html.
    Be excellent to one another. Party on dudes!

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I've owned a total of three Vectrexes, and none of them (including my current one) had "streaks" on the monitor.

I'd say it's NOT "normal" behavior for the unit, however, some games (mostly the homebrew stuff) tend to tell the system to use MUCH brighter vector-line saturation (or thickness) which sometimes give off more of a "trail" when they move around.

I got a Multicart on eBay last month for about $100. It was worth it if you calculate the cost of buying all the commercial games separately.

If you're looking for a good pre-loaded multicart, I'd say look for a "Sean Kelly Multicart 2.0".
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

Vectrex good. There's really quite nothing like it among consoles. Welcome to the club.

Sean Kelly 2.0 multicart ftw.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Viraneth

It looks like a load of fun!

I want one, but they look super expensive T_T
    For the glory of the Lion, and for the Emperor!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Enjoy it! Mine Storm, Armor Attack, Scramble and Pole Position are my personal favorites. John Dondzilla's Rockaroids is my fave homebrew (substitute for a real Asteroids, which will not fit in my apartment). I also wholeheartedly recommend the Sean Kelly Multicart 2.0.

Unfortunately, my beautiful boxed Vectrex that I got from my Groomsmen as my wedding gift this past October (with a Multicart!) is currently not working. It was working great, sat in the box for a couple months, took it out a couple weeks ago to show my Dad and... white dot and no sound. Ugh. Praying its not the CPU.

Sorry to rain on the parade. Have a blast with my personal fave Golden Age system!

UPDATE: I fixed it! I had ordered a new 6522 IC for the logic board. Replaced it tonight after writing, and it's back in business.

Now, where can I find a set of repro overlays? No one seems to sell them anymore.
    Last edited by klausien; 05-09-2008 at 09:14 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Congrats on the find, the Vectrex is probably my favorite retro system. Mine Storm alone is hours of fun, some of the other games can be hit or miss. Pole Position is a lot of fun, but is one of the more expensive titles. A multicart will do you tons of good, enjoy!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I recently joined the Vectrex club myself. $40 for mine as well, but it only came with three games. Congrats!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Yeah, the 'streaks' are because the screen's brightness is too high. And you've probably noticed the humm coming from the Vectrex. That's normal too.

There's people online who will make you reproductions of pretty much any commercial release for the system, and pretty cheaply too. You won't really be able to use the 3D games or light pen games without those peripherals, however.

I always wanted a Vectrex since childhood, and in 2003 I broke down and ordered one from another member at Atari Age. He was having some problems at home and was having a hard time getting the thing to me. In the meantime, I went into a thrift store (where they were selling a dead Rastan arcade cab for $50!) and found one on the shelf. They had no idea what it was, so they sold it to me for $5. It didn't have a controller, so all I could do was wait until the one I ordered showed up so I could play something on them. I gave one to my best friend. Last year I came across another one in a thrift for $9.99, but it's got some problems. I need to take it apart and work on it a bit.

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love my Vectrex. In fact, I leave mine plugged in, though since my son has started crawling around and getting into mischief, I've had to move it to a less accessible location, resulting in it getting played less. But I still wuv my Vectrex.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dude, I LOVE my Vectrex! I second the opinions offered already, there really is nothing like it anywhere else (except perhaps maybe Virtual Boy, without the eyestrain!)

I enjoy most every game in the library, but my favorites are: Mine Storm, Berzerk, Hyperchase, Scramble, Solar Quest, Web Wars, and the Dark Tower proto.

Just this week I got a multicart from http://vectrex.playntradeonline.com/ for about $100 USD (Worth it for some of the rare carts alone, even though I already have 19 of the original titles CIB) and it is the way to go! Lotsa fun with the unreleased, homebrew, and proto games (Dark Tower FTW!)

Congrats on your find, and I think I have a few doubles if you are interested (Star Trek, Scramble,and Spike I believe.)

Have fun!
    Mekka-lekka hi, mekka-hinney-hoh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slackur View Post
    Dude, I LOVE my Vectrex! I second the opinions offered already, there really is nothing like it anywhere else (except perhaps maybe Virtual Boy, without the eyestrain!)

I enjoy most every game in the library, but my favorites are: Mine Storm, Berzerk, Hyperchase, Scramble, Solar Quest, Web Wars, and the Dark Tower proto.

Just this week I got a multicart from http://vectrex.playntradeonline.com/ for about $100 USD (Worth it for some of the rare carts alone, even though I already have 19 of the original titles CIB) and it is the way to go! Lotsa fun with the unreleased, homebrew, and proto games (Dark Tower FTW!)

Congrats on your find, and I think I have a few doubles if you are interested (Star Trek, Scramble,and Spike I believe.)

Have fun!
    This is a brand new Multicart more reasonable than any other one. From time to time, Sean lists them on ebay for 70 bucks. It's sporatic, spontaneous, and gone within a couple of hours. There are a lot of people that buy several and turnaround and sell them for double the money.

What 4 games came with your system, Xian042? 40 bucks is a great deal. I would recommend Armor Attack, Starhawk, Fortress of Narzod, Scramble and Web Wars but all of the original releases are good. John the Don has been making homebrews for ages, some of them are very much worth getting but I've never played them. He also sells repros of just about any game that you want. The one homebrew that I want more than any other is Star Sling. I love to play Joust Evo but I'm not sure that Mayhem has any intentions of distributing it to the public.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Multicart? I'd recommend more getting the VecFlash... same price, and you can upload whatever games you want to it, including homebrew and demos. Only issue is I think Richard is out of stock at the moment...

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Multicart? I'd recommend more getting the VecFlash... same price, and you can upload whatever games you want to it, including homebrew and demos. Only issue is I think Richard is out of stock at the moment...
    I was tempted to track one of those down ... but I saw a lot of discussions online about the "difficulty" of loading the software onto it.

Do you have experience with this process?

What would you say the level of difficulty is in terms of getting them on there?

Does it use an easy to use GUI software to make menus, or are you looking at something more complex/frustrating?
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

I think the older serial version of the VecFlash had some issues, but now it's gone USB (the version I have), it's a piss of piss to upload. You get a simple GUI that you list all the ROMs you wish to upload, and click transfer. That's it. The software creates and uploads the menu for selecting the games itself to the cartridge.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chrozi

Default My Vectrex

Thanks everyone for your great responses and support!

I am totally in love with this thing right now! Btw adjusting the screen with the knob on the back did the trick! The guy that sold it to me would have flipped out if he knew that. He said it was supposed to be like that, and stated "thats why the system failed, because those lines are so irritating!" I love it when people don't know what they're talking about.
    It also has the "hum" someone mentioned, I can look past that.

The games I got are Rip Off, Star Trek, Scramble, Armor Attack, and the build in. I didnt get any overlays or boxes with the games. I had to clean the connectors with a Q-tip for them to work properly. Scramble gets shakey a little later in the gameplay, but works good.
    I'm really interested in Web Wars because I'm a Tempest freak. Is there a Tempest homebrew available?

I really want to grab one of those multicarts but may not have the $100 + to spend.
    If anyone wants to set up a trade for one I'd be down for that!
    "Oh my lord it's nutty, yup!"