Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: SNES Reproductions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Evan_G View Post
    http://snesdev.romhack.de/som2.htm

Just noticed that you said you knew about that one. But yeah, I don't think there is a list of pcb types that would help you out. I will make one up if people send me high quality PCB scans.
    That sounds like A LOT of work!

Definitely better to pay for a repro

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think I've got MadTitan covered on the label front. He can correct me if I'm wrong though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

WOW! What a professional-looking and classy "Secret of Mana 2"-logo you have over there! It just screams quality and leave no hints of homebrew at all. Must have been made with an expensive and high-tech program like Microsoft Word or something.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria
    And third, I don't see how being a collector equates to overpaying for homebrews.
    I respect your opinion but would like to temper your position that it's overpaying. To make repros and homebrews require programming and soldering equipment, a moderate level of skill and research (because it's rare anyone will hold your hand through it) and of course, the materials and time. I can tell you the only reproductions I own are the ones I've made for myself, because I could never consider one in the same league as an 'official' game.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow this post has gotten a lot of new responses since I was last able to check.

Let's see first BadChad thank you for taking the time to make some labels but I am all set. carlcarlson has made some awesome high quality labels for me.

Unforunatley this process is taking a lot longer than I would like since it's hard to find any free time to sit down and work on the carts.

I decided to start with StarFox 2 since it only uses 1 eprom and would be easier to make. I made a few and they work but there is some slowdown when playing certain levels. I have been researching the problem and it seems to be because it uses an fx2 chip which no released games do except Doom. I started with Stunt Race FX, and then I tried Yoshi's Island. I ordered some faster eproms and i'm going to try it on a Doom cart next.

I will be willing to make the games for anyone who doesn't have the desire or the knowledge to do it themselves. I don't want to overcharge people on these games I am making them as a fan and collector who would love to see them in cart form and help other fans and collectors get them as well. I have no idea on a price I would ask for them yet.

Here are things to consider when you think repro's are overpriced though. It costs me a little over 100 dollars for 12 eproms. Games like Secret of Mana 2 use 4 per game. Games like Tales Of Phantasia use 6 per game. Line address decoders which are used 1 per game cost about 15 dollars for 3. The donor carts off of ebay are about 10 dollars after shipping.

One time purchases for me were also 205 dollars for an eprom programmer. 100 for an eprom eraser. 75 for a good pencil tip soldering iron. 45 for a desoldering iron. 15 for a 3.8mm game bit driver.

There is also the cheaper stuff like wire of ribbon cables to make all the connections and the solder itself. Overall it is a much more expensive process than I originally thought it would be.

I haven't even gotten to the labels yet but I have an expensive laser printer that I hope will print high quality labels. I also need to find some type of high quality glossy sticker paper to print the labels on.

Also one last question for the board. Does anyone know if 7th Saga II has ever been fully translated? I can only find partial translations. Thank you and sorry for the long post.
    Last edited by MadTitan; 06-30-2008 at 01:25 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    WOW! What a professional-looking and classy "Secret of Mana 2"-logo you have over there! It just screams quality and leave no hints of homebrew at all. Must have been made with an expensive and high-tech program like Microsoft Word or something.
    If I'm not mistaken, that is actually derived from the title screen logo that the translators put in the English hack.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, that is actually derived from the title screen logo that the translators put in the English hack.
    This is not surprising at all. I was actually sarcastic, by the way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

This is not surprising at all. I was actually sarcastic, by the way.
    But of course. You know, the original Japanese title screen didn't look much better.
    Last edited by J'orfeaux; 06-30-2008 at 01:51 PM.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

It wasn't that different from the original version.

And here's the Japanese version:

I wish I was around back then, I would've whipped up a better title screen than that. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chaddybones
    PSN
    Chaddybones

Quote Originally Posted by MadTitan View Post
    Wow this post has gotten a lot of new responses since I was last able to check.

Let's see first BadChad thank you for taking the time to make some labels but I am all set. carlcarlson has made some awesome high quality labels for me.

Unforunatley this process is taking a lot longer than I would like since it's hard to find any free time to sit down and work on the carts.

I decided to start with StarFox 2 since it only uses 1 eprom and would be easier to make. I made a few and they work but there is some slowdown when playing certain levels. I have been researching the problem and it seems to be because it uses an fx2 chip which no released games do except Doom. I started with Stunt Race FX, and then I tried Yoshi's Island. I ordered some faster eproms and i'm going to try it on a Doom cart next.

I will be willing to make the games for anyone who doesn't have the desire or the knowledge to do it themselves. I don't want to overcharge people on these games I am making them as a fan and collector who would love to see them in cart form and help other fans and collectors get them as well. I have no idea on a price I would ask for them yet.

Here are things to consider when you think repro's are overpriced though. It costs me a little over 100 dollars for 12 eproms. Games like Secret of Mana 2 use 4 per game. Games like Tales Of Phantasia use 6 per game. Line address decoders which are used 1 per game cost about 15 dollars for 3. The donor carts off of ebay are about 10 dollars after shipping.

One time purchases for me were also 205 dollars for an eprom programmer. 100 for an eprom eraser. 75 for a good pencil tip soldering iron. 45 for a desoldering iron. 15 for a 3.8mm game bit driver.

There is also the cheaper stuff like wire of ribbon cables to make all the connections and the solder itself. Overall it is a much more expensive process than I originally thought it would be.

I haven't even gotten to the labels yet but I have an expensive laser printer that I hope will print high quality labels. I also need to find some type of high quality glossy sticker paper to print the labels on.

Also one last question for the board. Does anyone know if 7th Saga II has ever been fully translated? I can only find partial translations. Thank you and sorry for the long post.
    Ok, thats cool carl already hooked you up with labels. I can alwais use them for myself when your up and running. Feel free to use the Secret of Evermore and Terranigma label if you like. I undertand supplies are not cheap, so I have no problem paying a few extra bucks. Im not complaining considering your one of the very few that will actually make SNES carts.

Hope everyhting goes smoothly for you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    I wish I was around back then, I would've whipped up a better title screen than that. :P
    Meh, if those clouds are animated it might be kind of cool actually. Certainly impressive for the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    It wasn't that different from the original version.

*pic*

And here's the Japanese version:

*pic*

OK, but they should have at least choosen a less generic font.

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm heading this way with just regular famicom carts... and I may be missing something here but what stops you from using a game genie type device and just getting the original SoM 2 cart?

To do Mother or FF3 the donor cart can be the original if you're going to use a jp cart. *shrugs* I don't know the SFC translation scene as well as I should so maybe I'm missing something.
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by AB Positive View Post
    I'm heading this way with just regular famicom carts... and I may be missing something here but what stops you from using a game genie type device and just getting the original SoM 2 cart?
    I've often thought a device of that nature would be nifty, but somewhat impractical - in order to use it with more than one game, you'd need to have an easy way to rewrite the ROM inside of the device, and if you're going to go through the trouble of making something that complex, why not just build a bona fide flash cart and be done with it?

There are also a few patches which expand, decompress, or otherwise heavily alter the ROM in such ways that it would be difficult to manage all of it using a game genie-like device.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chaddybones
    PSN
    Chaddybones

I have a box filled with a bunch of junk like extra controllers, cables and sports games for my NES, SNES and Sega, so I peeled the label off one of my hockey games to I could measure exactly what size they need to be to help you out whenever you get to doing the labels.

8.3cm in length and 4.4cm in height.

I also tested it out just to make sure it fits ok, so I made a print on normal white paper then cut it out.

As you can see it turned out pretty good. Some of the small writing like the serial code you cant see very well so it would of been be a good idea to bring them up a font size or two, but it might be fine when printed on some high quality paper.

Anyway, just thought Id give you the label size and show you an example of how it turned out just to help you out a bit so you dont need to go through the trouble of figuring it out yourself.
    Last edited by BadChad; 07-04-2008 at 07:58 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The small stuff needs to made in a vector based program like Illustraitor, but you'd have to make it from scratch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chaddybones
    PSN
    Chaddybones

Hmm not to much action going on in this thread lately I see. Just wondering how things are comming along. Any progress update you can fill us in with?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm getting set up to do the same thing, although all the info I have so far is for famicom translations (I want to play Earthbound on my twin fami, basically) but with SNES info I imagine I'd be able to do the same thing. Hell... I want to play some T-rpgs too, like Ranma rpg and Tenchi SRPG...

So... when I get stuff in and actually get one done and working, I'll be in contact
    -AB+

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chaddybones
    PSN
    Chaddybones

So Im assuming not everything went acording to plan for MadTitan or AB Positive?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Almost here - had three straight months of roommate drama - which had (finally?) been repaired - once I catch up on bills I'm buying the last part I need to start working - the eproms

got the programmer and the applications needed. If I succeed I'll make a thread and show links. I have copies of Mother and Final Fantasy 3 ready to go.
    -AB+