Thread: Need some Dragon Quest VIII advice - skill point questions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Need some Dragon Quest VIII advice - skill point questions

NOTE: there might be a few small spoilers below, but nothing really that should be surprising and nothing even worth censoring, but you've been warned

I'm actually progressing in Dragon Quest VIII. I can't believe how awesome this game is! Although I'm embaressed to admit it, I always thought of Dragon Quest as a poor man's Final Fantasy - totally not the fucking case. DQVIII takes everything I love from the older Final Fantasy games and leaves out all the bullshit current Final Fantasy mainstays (namely androgynous male main characters, storylines overly concerned with religious philosophy and inter-character love affairs). DQVIII is a fun and funny game, and I love it.

So, I've got a question... what's a good strategy when it comes to distributing skill points? At first, for Hero I was trying to distribute them evenly between all weapons, then I concentrated on swords, then boomerangs, and now I'd prefer to use lances (just because the swords seem crappy and Jessica's whips hit multiple enemies).

For Yangus, I'm concentrating on clubs and axes, but at first spread his points out quite a bit.

I just obtained Jessica and I've been concentrating solely on her whips, and as a result she is kicking ass with them, despite the fact that I just got her.

Am I doing it right? What is a good strategy for distributing skill points? Can someone provide a few helpful hints?

Also... are the other Dragon Quest games this fun? If so I'm going to have to start playing the series after I'm done with this one
    Last edited by c0ldb33r; 05-18-2008 at 09:22 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    NOTE: there might be a few small spoilers below, but nothing really that should be surprising and nothing even worth censoring, but you've been warned

I'm actually progressing in Dragon Quest VIII. I can't believe how awesome this game is! Although I'm embaressed to admit it, I always thought of Dragon Quest as a poor man's Final Fantasy - totally not the fucking case. DQVIII takes everything I love from the older Final Fantasy games and leaves out all the bullshit current Final Fantasy mainstays (namely androgynous male main characters, storylines overly concerned with religious philosophy and inter-character love affairs). DQVIII is a fun and funny game, and I love it.

So, I've got a question... what's a good strategy when it comes to distributing skill points? At first, for Hero I was trying to distribute them evenly between all weapons, then I concentrated on swords, then boomerangs, and now I'd prefer to use lances (just because the swords seem crappy and Jessica's whips hit multiple enemies).

For Yangus, I'm concentrating on clubs and axes, but at first spread his points out quite a bit.

I just obtained Jessica and I've been concentrating solely on her whips, and as a result she is kicking ass with them, despite the fact that I just got her.

Am I doing it right? What is a good strategy for distributing skill points? Can someone provide a few helpful hints?

Also... are the other Dragon Quest games this fun? If so I'm going to have to start playing the series after I'm done with this one
    Skill points for the hero I put enough in lances for Thunder Strike (or whatever its called, that does critical damage) I had swords maxed and a lot in courage.

Cant go wrong with Axes for Yangus. Forget what else i did but i didnt really touch clubs.

Yeah whips with Jessica and sex appeal.

I finished it with the extra stuff, as far as im concerned i did pretty well. If you want i can check my stat distribution and post it.

I like the other dragon warriors (Nes Ones) but havent played any others. I cant really say if youd like them from this one, as they are more tedious (esp one).

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It depends on what you want to do. Spoilers of course

If you just want to play the game:

Hero: Swords/Boomerangs. Boomerangs hit everything, making battles much faster, and his strongest weapon is a sword. It really doesn't matter if you go sword or spear (if you're thinking spear though, you'll need to give up your strongest boomerang); you just need a powerful single weapon for bosses. In general it's best to pick and stay with one.

Yangus: Axes and Humanity. Axes first.

Jessica: Whips, Staffs, and Sex Appeal. Whips first as they hit everything.

Angelo: Bows, Staff. Bows first.

If you want to try and max thier levels:

For the hero: Spears and Boomerangs. Techincally his strongest weapon's a sword, but you don't get to use it that much. The Spear's upper tier critical hit skill (Lighting Thrust) is absolutely necessary for killing metals and the boomerangs just make killing stuff more efficent.

For Yangus: Axes and Humanity. Axes have a critical attack skill similar to the spears. The upper one's called Executioner. After that it really doesn't matter, Yangus' best weapons (imho) are recieved via a sidequest and they aren't part of any of his weapon classes.

Jessica: Whips, Staffs, and Sex Appeal. Whips hit everything, Staff contains some useful spells (accelerate for metal hunting). I don't see much use in Sex Appeal (unless you max the class), but it's a good place to put any extra skill points.

Angelo: Bows, Swords, and Staff: Angelo needs the metal slash from the sword skills to help with the metals. His strongest weapons is a bow, and there are usefull spells in his magic class.

As far as other DQs go, I think 7 is also a good game. it's not as pretty as 8, but then again DQ 8 is one of the best looking games of the last generation (imo). A lot of people consider it slow too, but it really does pick up after the first 30 min to an hour depending on how fast you're playing.

I also liked the little I played of 5 and 6, but I don't know enough about them to comment. I don't care for the earlier games, but that could be because I can't handle the 'thees and thous' of the NES games.