Thread: unknown gaming system cart/disk

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default unknown gaming system cart/disk

Hi all, I recently got a bag of carts and some floppy disk like carts that I have no idea what system they belong to. I think the carts are for Famcom but have zero idea what the floppy disk is for.

I have about 12 disks and 27 various carts. Heres a link to some scans i took of a disk and a cart.

http://www.xanthis.com/images/cart.jpg
    http://www.xanthis.com/images/floppy.jpg

If anyone has any idea of what system the floppy is for please let us know.

Thanks a bunch

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Famicom, and famicom disk system
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default thanks!

Thanks for the info. Do you know if these are highly collectable? most of them are in Japanise with little to no english writing on them. so very hard to tell what game it is.

Thanks again

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know about the disks, but I've bought several Famicom carts in the 3-5 dollar range. I'm sure there are some "hot" titles to look out for though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is a market for Famicom Carts in the US, but the floppies are prone to death. I don't want to ever own a famicom disk system as it will not work when I'm old and crusty.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MrXanthis
    Thanks for the info. Do you know if these are highly collectable? most of them are in Japanise with little to no english writing on them. so very hard to tell what game it is.
    How many are there? Some of us might be able to help name them... For instance, in your pix, the cart is obviously "Spelunker" (being written in English too), and the disc is "Moeru Twin Bee", but I'm not sure what "Moeru" translates to.

As to collectibility, they're mildly collectable, but I don't think most of us know which carts could pull in big value. Disks might be worth more despite the fact that they die and working units are scarce, as Raedon hinted at.
    Russ Perry Jr, 2175 S Tonne Dr #114, Arlington Hts IL 60005
    Got any obscure game stuff?

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually it is Moero, but who's checking. Back to kana school for you, Slapdash

It translates as "Burning Twinbee", but it is also known as Stinger.

Here's a page that shows the game:
    http://www.angelfire.com/anime3/twinbee/stinger.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IntvGene
    Actually it is Moero, but who's checking. Back to kana school for you, Slapdash
    Oops! Oy, I really should, but Japanese is interfering with my German enough already. You have no idea how many times I've almost said "Mou ichido itte kudasai" in German class...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

lol slapdash u r learning german? nice ah japanese, thats something i'll start in a few years after finishing university

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yep, its the Famicom and Famicom Disk System.

Oh how I wish I had those. ;-P
    www.kessnet.tk
    Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hydr0x
    lol slapdash u r learning german? nice
    Ja, aber mein Deutsch is noch nicht so gut.

ah japanese, thats something i'll start in a few years after finishing university
    If you have classes available, do it there, as you'll probably have more resources available to you. For instance, at Madison, there was a language labs, and courses even for technical Japanese, but around here, there's a bad prof at a commuter college, or just a "discussion" course at an adult educational center; if I'd waited, I wouldn't have even the few remaining Japanese skills I still have learning it new probably.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ask him about his Klingon.

JR
    The Gameroom Blitz. Here. Go. Now.
    http://grblitz.overclocked.org

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll save them the trouble of asking... I don't speak it, but I did win the Great Klingon Palindrome Contest.

I'm not a geek...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raedon
    There is a market for Famicom Carts in the US, but the floppies are prone to death. I don't want to ever own a famicom disk system as it will not work when I'm old and crusty.
    That's a shame. You'd miss out on hearing the original Zelda music done properly with the extra FM channel that the Disk System provides. The same goes for Castlevania II, Metroid, and Gyruss, too, for that matter. The NES versions just aren't the same once you've heard it on the FDS. ;-)

And that's not mentioning the good, original games that came out for the FDS: "Arumana no Kiseki", "Ai Senshi Nicol", "Boku tte Upa", and all the rest. Heck, the system is worth it for these original games alone.

Don't get me wrong -- I have no love of the disk drive myself. But with a little work, the FDS interface cart can be used without the drive, and the drive used to back up old disks onto a PC, if you have a stack of games of your own.

I highly recommend the FDS. It'd be a shame to miss out on it just because of worries about unreliable disks.

--
    _zane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Whoa there, I thought the FDS had LESS music. It's a damned floppy disk system, you only had 128K of RAM! Now calling on a game like Akumajo Densetsu (CV 3 Japanese) to compare isn't quite fair since it had the VRC6, but I've listened to *.nsf rips from the disk games.

How about the NES games then? They had a pretty nice standard mapper, but more importantly many are larger in size than the FDS originals, even if the game seems exactly the same. I bet some of that is due to more data for the music.

I think you're wrong about the disk system music. Dead wrong, but I can't prove it independently except through emulation. And all these unopened FDS games I have, oh yeah opening them would be a great idea.

Now the game quality itself--yes, Ai Senshi Nicol, Arumana no Kiseki, Bio Miracle Upa, Final Commando Akai Yousai, and Meikyuu Jiin Dababa are all good Konami titles. All are Konami titles, actually; and so is Akumajo Dracula, the first really popular non-Nintendo FDS title. (Back in those days, Nintendo developed for its own systems ;)

In Reply To Topic:

Well, could you take pictures of 'em all? I might like to buy some of em. Or most, if the price is right. o_O

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As an owner of a fully functioning disk system, it pains me to see people making hazy accusations against the hardware. Sure, each disk side could only hold 64k, but in the day when most of the games were released, this was enough. And yes, there were isolated incidents of the music being shorter due to memory constraints (shorter main battle music in Zelda 2, different main BGM in Ice Hockey, and shorter main theme in Doki Doki Panic), but in most cases the striking sound effects from the FM channel more than made up for it. There was just that one song in Zelda 2, and otherwise everything was intact, with some way better sound effects. Konami made some of the best games for the system, because they had a love of making music with the Disk System's FM channel, rather than just using it for title screen music and sound effects, as Nintendo usually did. If you really want to complain, talk about the Disk System's version of Jackal, which was practically a different game.

All-in-all, I have to say that the system is well worth picking up on Yahoo Japan Auctions, with its special sound and list of quality software. Plus, it's just a cool piece of gaming history to own -- One that still doesn't get the acknowledgement it deserves outside of Japan. And don't worry about the disks crapping out on you so much -- I own a ton, and most of them work fine, and I'm sure will continue to as long as I take good care of them. The few I have that no longer operate look like they've seen better days. Buy ones in good condition, and you're golden. If I were you, I would worry more about the drive belt crapping out on you, but this is easily fixed, as replacement belts are wildly available even today.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Isn't there a cartridge version of Bio Miracle Upa?

MrXanthis: If you can post pics of all the carts and disks, we could probably ID them pretty quickly.

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri
    Isn't there a cartridge version of Bio Miracle Upa?

MrXanthis: If you can post pics of all the carts and disks, we could probably ID them pretty quickly.
    Probably not going to happen, look at the post date on the Xanthis' post. 2003.

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.