Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Were sequels / new releases in arcades anticipated?

Strawberry (Level 2) emceelokey's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Were sequels / new releases in arcades anticipated?

I was just thinking about how people would camp out for high profile games like Madden, GTA, Smash Bros. and what have you but I don't ever remember anything like that for an arcade game. I grew up in the "Fighting Game" era of arcades, and for updates or sequels, I never really experienced anyone really anticipating games like that in arcades. I usually didn't know that there were sequels or new editions of games until after they were out and had huge crowds around them. I remember I first learned of Mortal Kombat II when I was visiting my cousin's house and he was telling me that a new MK was out and I didn't believe him. We ended up going to the local bowling alley that night and there it was MK II. He even knew some fatalities. I just never heard of an arcade game "Launching" much like console games. The arcade game would usually trickle into the local arcades within weeks of each other.

Was there a big fuss leading up to the release of Ms. Pac-Man or Donkey Kong 2 or anythgin like that?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nah. They just appeared and that was that. Wacko overhype was pretty much non-existent in those days, and media outlets were a bit limited compared to nowadays.

Thank God.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The first arcade release I was ever hyped for was SF2CE.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Cinder6

People camp out for Madden?
    Knowledge is Power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i remember seeing ads for the arcade release of mortal kombat 3

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Release and location testing of the latest Metal Slug were anticipated a lot in Japan I think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Deuel View Post
    Wacko overhype was pretty much non-existent in those days, and media outlets were a bit limited compared to nowadays.
    Exactly. I've made mention of this sort of thing before; that there was no World Wide Web or 24-hour news cycle empowering game enthusiasts to disseminate and pick apart every bit of minutiae concerning the hobby. This is also why most people (at least in my neck of the woods) went blisfully unaware that there was even a crash of the video game market in 1984.

As far as arcade machines are concerned, past or present, it's a completely different type of product than home games, and one that doesn't really lend itself to that sort of thing. Your local Gamestop can order 500 copies of GTAIV and move them in the space of a few hours. On the other hand, an arcade machine operator buys one - maybe two - of the newest DDR machines at $10000 a pop. Konami has already made their money off the operator, but now he is in the position of having to cross his fingers and hope that that he didn't buy a pair of lemons; that he can make back his investment, plus some extra, in the next several weeks, because there simply can't be enough kids with pockets full of quarters queued up outside the arcade at midnight for it to happen any quicker than that.

So no, hype like that doesn't work for arcade machines, at least not on a level of reaching out to a Smackdown-sized television audience.
    Last edited by Pantechnicon; 05-21-2008 at 10:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Back then, alot of arcade sequels were generally disliked.

The only sequels I know of were well liked were the obvious Ms. Pac-Man, DKjr. and Galaga.

Ms. Pac Man came out when the first game was still huge, so it was obviously gonna be a massive hit. Galaga was one of those rare games which sequel was actually better than the original in every way. EDIT - And Ms. Pac-Man got the loving reception her male counterpart encountered. The first time I saw a Ms. Pac-Man machine, the arcade got 3 machines, and the crowd was still so deep, you couldn't see the game at all if you were under 5' 2".

Asteroids Deluxe, Frenzy, Stargate, Space Invaders Deluxe, Blaster, Q*Bert's Qubes, Super Zaxxon, Donkey Kong 3, even though they're now considered classics, as well, weren't huge hits in the arcades, compared to their previous versions. The crash had alot to do with it, as well...

In 1983, Q*bert was arguably considered Game of the Year. Q*bert's Qubes didn't come out long after the original. Yet to this day, I've NEVER seen a Qubes machine in the wild.
    Last edited by diskoboy; 05-21-2008 at 11:58 PM.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That kind of stuff really only happens for mainstream titles, often sequals or something late in the series.

Still, you might recall the days when arcade lines for certain games stretched around the block. So hype isn't a recent thing, hmm?
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Arcade games just 'showed up'; usually in the early summer. I still remember seeing DK Jr., Ms. Pac-Man, Millipede, and Stargate for the first time. What was funny was that when I saw Ms. Pac, the line was way,way,way long, and I played normal Pac-Man. After I did that, I regretted it 'cause I thought I might not see Ms. Pac again.....
    Lick me! LICK ME!!

One of the hopeless idiots that runs SC3; (Southern California Classic Collectors):
    www.sc3videogames.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember waiting in anticipation for Rad Mobile and the Simpsons to come to my local arcade. (Probably because EGM hyped the former a lot back in the day.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If there was any hype in my town it was because people played them in bigger cities and they took awhile to make it to small town South Dakota

Strawberry (Level 2) FrakAttack's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They just popped up here and there so it was mostly word of mouth. There were also a lot of rumors, of course. I remember when we would catch a glimpse of a new cab on the back of a delivery truck and get so excited, even if it was destined for some other town. Sometimes we'd even ask the guy where it was headed and then travel there a few days later. In the glory days, we'd go half way across the state to play certain games.

I kinda miss the joy of discovery we shared back then, when gaming was brand new. At times, it really felt like magic.
    "Ambitious, but rubbish."

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I remember there being a pretty good hype for MK2 and SFIII (SFIII was received rather luke-warmly).

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy View Post
    In 1983, Q*bert was arguably considered Game of the Year. Q*bert's Qubes didn't come out long after the original. Yet to this day, I've NEVER seen a Qubes machine in the wild.
    Funspot out in Laconia, NH. I just played it for the first time over the weekend and loved it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Related to the Joystik magazines' addition to the DP archive, I now remember that I saw Super Pac-Man in that magazine before I saw a machine. That might be the only example of a 'game preview' for an arcade game I experienced back-in-the-day.

Super Pac has since become one of my top games, too!
    Lick me! LICK ME!!

One of the hopeless idiots that runs SC3; (Southern California Classic Collectors):
    www.sc3videogames.com

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    Funspot out in Laconia, NH. I just played it for the first time over the weekend and loved it.
    I've lived in NH for a year and a half and still have yet to visit Funspot. I really need to get around to it sometime this summer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember being really excited to see MK2 hit the arcade, but I don't recall ever knowing the actual release date. I just knew that it would show up eventually and that was enough for me. Beyond that I never had much anticipation for an arcade game.

To tie that into the home market, I disctinctly remember knowing when MK2 came out on the SNES and making a special trip to the video store to rent it on release day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I waited. And waited a bit longer. Then forgot about Space Harrier and Outrun.

Finally all these years later Sega hits us with Planet Harriers and Outrun 2 / Coast 2 Coast. Talk about taking your time.

I've always looked forward to new installments in the Time Crisis and House of the Dead series too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by emceelokey View Post
    I was just thinking about how people would camp out for high profile games like Madden, GTA, Smash Bros. and what have you but I don't ever remember anything like that for an arcade game.
    Arcade games sort of straggled into arcades days or longer after release - cabinets are big, and kits take a while to set up, after all.

That said, arcade games didn't appear by magic and avid players knew what was coming from news of arcade expos, location tests, rumors, etc.