Thread: How do the PSX final fantasy games play on PSP?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default How do the PSX final fantasy games play on PSP?

I am getting my PSP slim modded soon via pandora battery.

I just played God of War a little on the PSP and it was very tiny, I know, what did I expect, but this problem made me wonder about how the FF games will play. Is it an issue that they will be on the tiny screen?

I played the FF advance games on DS, and I never had a problem with their small size, but FF7,8,9 are 3D games, so maybe it won't look good?

Finally, do the FF7,8,9 games on PSP slim stretch out to take the whole screen or will it be 'full screen'? Is there a way to change it?

Do the games run smoothly?

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

So ... you're asking for a comparison of God of War Chains of Olympus: an official PSP game developed FOR the PSP compares to PS1 Final Fantasy games ripped and converted for PSP via POPSTATION and loaded onto a custom firmware PSP ... compare??

I don't see what was "tiny" in God of War to begin with ... I mean, the size of that game is relative and comparable to the system it was developed for, and I believe that the ratio of Kratos-to-screen-area on PSP is the same as Kratos-to-screen-area on a standard television in the case of God of War I or II.

But the short answer to your question is that the Final Fantasy PS1 games look fine on PSP and since PS1 game were all formatted for standard TV's all of them "stretch" when being run in "full screen" mode. Yes, you can leave it in standard screen mode, you get black bars on the sides ... text is a bit small, but readable, especially if you've already played through the games and you know what's going on.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah I think because I am used to playing heavenly sword on the big screen on HD I saw god of war and saw that it is tiny, since they are similar games. I wish they would release official FF7-9 for PSP but it seems PSP's ambitions aren't high enough to handle those games. Let's hope they get their S together and d o it because all 3 will be best sellers, but in the meantime I'm going to play them via the modded PSP version and hope it is the same experience, the most important part of these games is the music so I hope that is still 'full'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by ADG566 View Post
    Yeah I think because I am used to playing heavenly sword on the big screen on HD I saw god of war and saw that it is tiny, since they are similar games. I wish they would release official FF7-9 for PSP but it seems PSP's ambitions aren't high enough to handle those games. Let's hope they get their S together and d o it because all 3 will be best sellers, but in the meantime I'm going to play them via the modded PSP version and hope it is the same experience, the most important part of these games is the music so I hope that is still 'full'
    I think that Square/Enix is going to release FF7 via the PSP store sometime this year. I can't recall where I read that ... but I'm pretty sure that it's coming. *edit* or maybe that was just a rumor.

In any case, POPSTATION supports multi disc games ... so, rip and enjoy it if you have it.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 05-25-2008 at 02:05 AM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

FF7: Fully playable, few visual errors in early popstation
    FF8: Works ok but crashes in certain spots, newer firmwares work best.
    FF9: Fully playable but framerate problems.
    FFT: Fully playable.

The other 2d games 1,2,4,5, and 6 look poorly scaled to 320X240.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

I just played God of War a little on the PSP and it was very tiny, I know, what did I expect, but this problem made me wonder about how the FF games will play. Is it an issue that they will be on the tiny screen?
    Have you tried holding the screen closer to your face?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

Quote Originally Posted by dgdgagdae View Post
    Have you tried holding the screen closer to your face?

Troll alert +1

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

nah, PSP graphics suck, it's 2008 and that's the best they can do? a new PSP with PS2 capable graphics can't come soon enough IMO, the companies are still milking outdated technology... that's not just games but the whole world. anyway, as well try to emulate the classic games like FF7, FF8, FF9, Chrono Cross, Vagrant Story, Grandia, etc... but I haven't played one made for PSP game that was worthwhile, the god of war game might've been better if I hadn't played heavenly sword beforehand so that is probably psychological, i don't have high hopes for Crisis Core that's sitting on my shelf unopened

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I haven't played one made for PSP game that was worthwhile
    Wow. Just wow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Back to the original question: I actually think that FFVII, VIII and IX look better on the PSP than they do on HDTV - they are early 3D games, and in some ways they haven't aged that well... Playing them on the PSP masks a lot of their graphics shortcomings - you can't really see the lack of fine details because the screen's so small, for instance - and I really enjoyed playing through all three of them again on a portable system... running PSX games on the PSP is not generally for the fainthearted, however, and FFVIII particularly has a couple problems you will have to work around in order to be able to play it. Judging by the fact that you say that you're getting your Slim modded - presumably by somebody else - and your apparently negative attitude toward the PSP in the first place, I wouldn't think this is likely to work for you. You should probably go back to playing GBA games on the DS - maybe try the Breath of Fire games since you liked the early Final Fantasies...
    Last edited by Jimid2; 05-26-2008 at 07:46 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

nah, PSP graphics suck, it's 2008 and that's the best they can do? a new PSP with PS2 capable graphics can't come soon enough IMO, the companies are still milking outdated technology... that's not just games but the whole world. anyway, as well try to emulate the classic games like FF7, FF8, FF9, Chrono Cross, Vagrant Story, Grandia, etc... but I haven't played one made for PSP game that was worthwhile, the god of war game might've been better if I hadn't played heavenly sword beforehand so that is probably psychological, i don't have high hopes for Crisis Core that's sitting on my shelf unopened