Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: DP MYTHBUSTERS : Blowing in NES Cartridges

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NoahsMyBro View Post
    Just for the record, as a kid I often blew into VCS cartridges when they misbehaved, and saw positive results (at least short-term) then.

This wasn't exclusively an NES phenomenon.
    I did the same thing with an intellivision cartrige recently. It wouldn't play for anything so I blew in it and it started right up.

There seems to be a pretty large corrilation between a huge number of individuals, each of whom seems to have discovered it on their own, for this to be a placebo effect. (I'm not sure if that's the correct term in this particular case but it was used in a previous post)

On a semi-related topic. My brother once who couldn't get a NES game to work after multiple attempts, even after blowing, filled the slot with hand lotion. I got mad at him when he did it but the game worked perfectly the first try.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    There seems to be a pretty large corrilation between a huge number of individuals, each of whom seems to have discovered it on their own, for this to be a placebo effect.
    You're right, placebo effect isn't exactly the right word, what you're looking for is called "confirmation bias." There's been people who've blowed on them carts and didn't get anything, so they blew again, and in any case do you think they put the cartridge back in the same way even on their first try?

But I'm inclined to believe it's possible the myth works, but I'm just sayin'.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Could also be "spurious correlation" or possibly even non sequitur. But the point is...it sure does seem to work more often than not by more than enough people. That would be an interesting experement. Might even be a good one to submit to Mythbusters. Have they done a video game myth yet?
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    Could also be "spurious correlation"
    True!

But the point is...it sure does seem to work more often than not by more than enough people. That would be an interesting experement. Might even be a good one to submit to Mythbusters. Have they done a video game myth yet?
    I'd be interested to see if they'd take it, since - for the reason I had before - the scraping not-really-ZIF socket of the NES makes it hard to replicate results with any accuracy.

You're right, though. I think this is the bigger myth of the two, although what Frankie's testing is indeed worthwhile.

That and nothing blows up, and you know how we'll feel when they strap a stick of dynamite to an NES.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    That and nothing blows up, and you know how we'll feel when they strap a stick of dynamite to an NES.
    That's true...but I'd be all for them blowing up a Barbie game or Legend of Kage or something though.

I think what Frankie's doing is an important part of the overall experiment. And as he said...he'd like it if somone else took up the rest. It would be great if the Mythbusters did it. Someone should submit this thread to them...it might make it to TV.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For the record, if somebody would like to send me a clean, working toaster NES with reliable pins I'd be more than happy to stick both cartridges in them at the end of the test and see what happens.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    ...while I'm certainly committed to finishing this one month test, I should have know that doing anything of this nature on the internet would have been filled with this much general conflict, conjecture, and general stupidity.
    Fixed.

I appreciate what you're doin', Frankie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 5thman View Post
    Fixed.

I appreciate what you're doin', Frankie.
    btw...I think what your doing is awesome as well. Just think, the real Mythbusters get people complaining about the way they do things all the time so your in good company.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry if this was answered already, But what is the best way to clean old nes cartridges? Or at least, a really good safe way?

I've used windex and a q-tip. That always seems to get it working. Is that safe?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

99% isopropyl alcohol is what you want. Windex is specially formulated to clean windows and I imagine it will leave some residue. The alcohol, on the other hand, will evaporate almost immediately.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

For the record, if somebody would like to send me a clean, working toaster NES with reliable pins I'd be more than happy to stick both cartridges in them at the end of the test and see what happens.
    But the Toaster wasn't the one that's known for reliability problems...I've got a pretty reliable (couple of) NESes, but I'm afraid I can't ship one out for free...

...on the other hand, if you were to ship out the cartridges I'll stick them any ol' place you please...no guarantees on what happens after that though ;P
    Last edited by Ed Oscuro; 06-05-2008 at 07:46 PM.

Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But the Toaster wasn't the one that's known for reliability problems...I've got a pretty reliable (couple of) NESes, but I'm afraid I can't ship one out for free...

...on the other hand, if you were to ship out the cartridges I'll stick them any ol' place you please...no guarantees on what happens after that though ;P
    They're all yours man. PM me your details and I'll ship them out for testing when it's over.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

But the Toaster wasn't the one that's known for reliability problems...
    The top loader was the one known for reliability problems? Oh my, I hope I missed something.

Doesn't....
    Toaster = first version NES
    ?

Why does it seem people are making this thread harder than it needs to be?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post
    Doesn't....
    Toaster = first version NES
    ?
    Toasters have slots on the top. That would make the top-loader the toaster and the front-loader the...microwave?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    Toasters have slots on the top. That would make the top-loader the toaster and the front-loader the...microwave?
    A pizza oven.

Honestly though...I've always been confused by this as well.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

yeah, it is a dumb nomenclature. I have to imagine people started calling them toasters before the top-loader came out? Anyway, the grey box is called a toaster because you have to push the cart down with much the same action and feel as pushing the lever on a bread toaster. Or at least that's what I've always thought, and have read from others as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

They're all yours man. PM me your details and I'll ship them out for testing when it's over.
    Alright then, I'll pay ya for shipping back, or however you want to do that...

ALSO:

Sorry everybody, I meant Toaster = first NES. I don't know what I was thinking there.

Lol, my precise argument led to rather off-topic discussion because of a mistake...my bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Correct ;p the first one is a toaster ;p turn it on its side and it looks and acts just like one ;p the model 2 is the toploader

toaster
    top loader

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dao2 View Post
    the first one is a toaster ;p turn it on its side and it looks and acts just like one ;p the model 2 is the toploader
    Every toaster I've ever seen has slots on the top, not on the front. I'm just saying.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Every toaster I've ever seen has slots on the top, not on the front. I'm just saying.
    I've seen plenty of toasters with the reverse DeLorean style doors on the sides. Them's old-school toasters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've seen plenty of toasters with the reverse DeLorean style doors on the sides. Them's old-school toasters.
    That's cool! It looks nothing like an NES though (front-loader or top-loader).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just breathe on them, not blow. Only moisture from the lungs gets on the contacts, not spittle, etc.
    If it gets corroded, I take out the contact cleaner and go to town.

Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry for the delay in getting Week 2 results pictures up.

The first year of Windows Vista live updates all the way through SP1 had finally caught up with my PC and caused (I think) what I'm beginning to call "update minor-conflict pileup", after running live updates on the past 3 standard Windows OS'es, it always seems to happen a year or so in, and I gather it's a cascading effect from one or two updates that don't jive ... in any case it caused some type of fatal error requiring me to do a format and clean install.

Everything looks okay now, so I should have my scanner back up and running for more pictures tonight.

Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Updated with week 2 results (sorry for the lateness, the computer re-format aside - it's been a hectic couple of weeks getting settled into my new administrative job and doing some awesome improvements to the already awesome apartment with my always awesome now live-in girlfriend).
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 06-18-2008 at 06:06 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the action I mean.... if you put it on it's side...

edit: and wow just checked the results, those things def look dirty as hell
    Last edited by dao2; 06-18-2008 at 06:17 PM.