Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Default Neverwinter Nights 2

Can't believe there isn't a thread dedicated to NWN 2 (or NWN, as a matter of fact).

I'm thinking of getting NWN 2 Gold (which includes NWN 2 and its expansion pack, Mask of the Betrayer) for PC. How is the game and its expansion pack? I'm a huge fan of NWN and I like the idea that I could this time use the module creator (which wasn't ported to NWN Mac).

My only qualm is that Atari seems to sell Mask of the Betrayer as a tactical RPG. How tactical is it? I'm really not a fan of tactical games -- the hack-n-slash action in the first NWN is one of the reasons why I love this game so much.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by DefaultGen; 03-12-2023 at 07:01 PM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default OK.

I believe there is another user created expansion as well...might be included with the gold. I have not played 'Mask of the Betrayer' yet. I cannot win the final battle in NWN2.

I thought the game was fantastic. Most of the glitches have been worked out through patches. It does require a hefty PC for even medium settings.

There are issues with camera angles, but there are options to toggle between different views, some added after patching. If you learn to use them I do not think you will even notice.

Great game; severely overlooked because of the issues at launch. Plenty of user created content as well. Word is that NWN1 is slowing down and NWN2 is building up.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

NWN 2 is more like baldur's gate than NWN 1. (regarding party make up and 'tactical-ness')

it is a graphical and cpu workhorse, so make sure you have a beast of a machine if you want to run w/ stuff on high/max

the game itself, as a D&D rpg, is pretty bad. the writing is awful, the quests are lame, its very linear, your choices have no impact aside from the normal good/bad outcomes. once you initially start one quest one way, you cant change your mind halfway through and 'double cross' the quest giver (like you could in say -- any D&D game). overall to me, this is a huge dissapointment of a game and by far the lamest of the recent Forgotten Realms games. dont go into this one w/ high expectations. i am really beggining to dislike Obsidian as developers cause it is the 2nd rpg they screw up (Kotor 2 was the other one).

as for hte world builder, it is also pretty much useless. it is complicated beyond belief (muuuuuch harder to use than the NWN1 one). most created mods (like environments) run over 1gb of space, and playing any online is almost impossible (you cant download on the fly -- so you have to locate it somewhere, wait the 5 hrs to dl the 1GB+, install, THEN go play).

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought the game this weekend to celebrate purchasing a new laptop. It's funny how a game made in late 2006 won't run on a laptop built just a month ago. Damn Intel Graphic chipsets! The game doesn't support them at all. Really pissed me off because it didn't state this anywhere other than the readme.txt file. Which, after opening the game, made it very difficult to return to Best Buy. Had to pull a guy from the Geek Squad (called them the "Nerd Herd". We laughed, they didn't.) to verify that indeed, it wouldn't run on the system it was bought with. Before all of that I tried running it on my older laptop with a Geforce 440 Go (32MB) and AMD Athlon 64 and still no dice. Supposedly, it also has timing problems with dual cores which would have made the game unplayable even if my new laptop had a Nvidia or ATI set-up. I do believe that this is the last PC I buy for the foreseeable future. If you can't play games on a PC then you may as well have a Mac and be golden right?

NWN1 - Love it and will play it for a long time to come.
    NWN2 - Never again...

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Love NWN...Didnt love NWN 2. I recieved the game for Christmas the year it came out and was all excited about playing it. After chugging through the first couple hours. I never went picked it up again. My PC ran Guild Wars fine, couldn't figure out why NWN 2 would be so taxing on my PC, but after hearing from other folks, it's a common issue. I wouldn't pay more than $20 for it even if I had a PC that did it justice. NWN it was not.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    I bought the game this weekend to celebrate purchasing a new laptop. It's funny how a game made in late 2006 won't run on a laptop built just a month ago. Damn Intel Graphic chipsets! The game doesn't support them at all. Really pissed me off because it didn't state this anywhere other than the readme.txt file. Which, after opening the game, made it very difficult to return to Best Buy. Had to pull a guy from the Geek Squad (called them the "Nerd Herd". We laughed, they didn't.) to verify that indeed, it wouldn't run on the system it was bought with. Before all of that I tried running it on my older laptop with a Geforce 440 Go (32MB) and AMD Athlon 64 and still no dice. Supposedly, it also has timing problems with dual cores which would have made the game unplayable even if my new laptop had a Nvidia or ATI set-up. I do believe that this is the last PC I buy for the foreseeable future. If you can't play games on a PC then you may as well have a Mac and be golden right?

NWN1 - Love it and will play it for a long time to come.
    NWN2 - Never again...
    to be fair, i belive u just got a pos laptop. as i mentioned i am not a fan of the game either... but for different reasons. it works fine on my new underpowered HP tx2000z tablet/laptop. and runs like a dream on my desktop beast amd 6000+ 4gb ram geforce 8800GT.

btw, both are dual core... no issues there.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The game annoyed me to no end, and i really wanted to like it. Because i chose an assassin class, i couldn't actually damage the final boss. That seemed incredibly cheap.

I ran into 8 game breaking bugs where i had to delete my save and go back to a previous save. I started a new game with a different class and i'm stuck in a quest where i can't trigger a door to open. The last patch they put out screwed up the game on my graphics card, none of the transparencies work.

Oh, and for some reason my save directory is more then 400 megabytes. I don't know what the hell the game is saving, but my saves barely fit on a CD...

As much as i wanted to like it, in my opinion, it's unplayable.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    The game annoyed me to no end, and i really wanted to like it. Because i chose an assassin class, i couldn't actually damage the final boss. That seemed incredibly cheap.

I ran into 8 game breaking bugs where i had to delete my save and go back to a previous save. I started a new game with a different class and i'm stuck in a quest where i can't trigger a door to open. The last patch they put out screwed up the game on my graphics card, none of the transparencies work.

Oh, and for some reason my save directory is more then 400 megabytes. I don't know what the hell the game is saving, but my saves barely fit on a CD...

As much as i wanted to like it, in my opinion, it's unplayable.
    I had the door won't open glitch. There is a workaround for it. I can't quote it though. You had to copy and rename save files in some way...I think it was on the NWN2 forums somewhere.

There is a trick to the final battle but I can't get it either...

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

ok guys, there seems to be a huge amount of ripping on this game for its bugs... i just played it several days ago, fully patched, and aside from the really bad writing/plot/character design/story etc etc, theres nothing wrong with it. it has been patched to all hell and works pretty well.

you can get it for like 10 bucks on ebay, give it a shot honestly. one man's trash is another's treasure. the game 'works' now. it definitely didnt at launch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta! View Post
    and aside from the really bad writing/plot/character design/story etc etc, theres nothing wrong with it.
    In other words everything that should be good to make a decent RPG is bad but there's nothing wrong with the game. Hmmmm Makes sense.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Except for the fact that after all of the patches, my save files are all still borked and the graphics aren't rendering right...

Aside from the fact the game is still broken, the graphics suck, it requires a monster of a system to play, the story is retarded, they cut a quarter of the plot (replaced with static images and a voice over), the AI is frequently broken...

Other then that, the game is a lot of fun.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Except for the fact that after all of the patches, my save files are all still borked and the graphics aren't rendering right...Aside from the fact the game is still broken, the graphics suck, it requires a monster of a system to play
    i dont have this problem, do have a monster of a machine, and im proud of it. all my saves work, but they have been saved after patching, not before.

, the story is retarded, they cut a quarter of the plot (replaced with static images and a voice over), the AI is frequently broken...
    this, i do agree with.... its a bad RPG. but it DOES WORK!

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Well, I did get it yesterday (NWN2 Gold specifically). Took forever to update the installation (yay) and found out that the keys for NWN2 and MotB are reversed in the booklet (realized that upon registering my game on Bioware's forums). The camera takes some time to get used to (that's a mistake in the manual: it says that camera rotation is left or right arrow, when in fact it's X + left or right arrow). Also, I'm not crazy about the turn-based combat style (unlike in NWN, where it's similar to hack n slash). I suppose I'll find it to be ok once I'm used to it, but right now, I keep expecting it to react like NWN when it doesn't. So far, I don't regret my purchase but it's too early to say whether I did well or not to get it.

Incidentally, I had to lower the video settings as the video was choppy (using a NVIDIA GeForce 256 MB card -- don't remember the model, but it's not as powerful as the game thinks it is, so I must modify the so-called auto-detection settings).
    Last edited by Lady Jaye; 07-08-2008 at 10:39 AM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

You should really mess with the camera and different combat options before you get too deep into the game. It really makes a difference in this games more than any other I can think of...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

What kind of combat options?
    Last edited by Lady Jaye; 07-09-2008 at 08:17 AM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have one of the latest dual core Pentium CPUs, 2 gigs of RAM, and my copy of NWN2 just sits in the box. Apparently you need a $300.00 video card to play it with any decency. And I'm not buying a damn $300.00 video card for one game. (I don't play PC games, but NWN2 looked like fun)

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Jaye View Post
    What kind of combat options?
    If I recall you can play it turn-based or real-time (using pause alot).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

If that's the case, how do you switch the fighting style?