Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it possible to repair a game disc cracked in half?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, while I doubt it would work, I wouldn't say it's impossible. CDs have error correction on them. That's why you're supposed to clean them wiping from the center out, rather than around...scratches that go with the "grain" of the data are less likely to be fixed by error correction than spoke like scratches that cut across tracks. Depending on the break it might even be possible to get the cracks to line up.

That said, I wouldn't try it, I'd doubt it would work and there is a small chance you could damage the drive. I'd just get a new copy.

I can't change my avatar. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

Greatest thread ever?
    Like free stuff? I have earned hundreds of dollars in free Amazon gift cards through Swagbucks. Check it out here! Earn 3000 points and I will give you FREE shipping the next time you buy from me!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Porksta

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can line the cracks up, stick it back together and make it look like new if none of the data layer flaked off during the breaking. However no way can you realign the spiral track that holds the data, considering it is only around 0.74 microns thick. Plus the action of breaking the disc would probably have damaged the data spiral itself. Yes, data correction on DVDs exist but they weren't meant for this.
    I like turtles

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Impossible? No.

Improbable? Yes.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I think Frankie's right. Data recovery experts could probally do it. Were talking CIA/NSA stuff though. I'm pretty sure that data CD's store data at mutltiple locations. Otherwise a slight scratch or dust would throw off a few 1's and 0's.

Audio CD's don't do this. That's why a scratch or dust might make them skip but still play. Misreading one instance of sound isn't going to be too noticable. Misread just one bit of code and the program could crash.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Many of you are unaware that data CDs contain ECC to correct errors/missing/unreadable data.

If the damage to the foil layer was extremely minimal, and you could reattach the disc so that it lined up properly, and would spin without shattering, you may be able to recover the data. To even attempt this, you would need an expert performing the task with specialized equipment, of course.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Obvious Troll is Obvious.

If the disc is snapped in half, you could probably get about an 80% data recovery. They don't bother trying to reassemble the disc, they use magnetic imaging to scan the pieces and reassemble in software.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Porksta View Post
    Greatest thread ever?
    absolutely.

You should try using Gorilla glue. That stuff is awesome. Then try using it in your system, then when you need a new system you can buy one here.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    squirrelnut1416

Quote Originally Posted by jahvybe View Post
    absolutely.

You should try using Gorilla glue. That stuff is awesome. Then try using it in your system, then when you need a new system you can buy one here.
    Well if everyone did that, it would help the recession.

Anywho, the only conceivable way to do it is if you had a friend with the cia/fbi who deals with data recovery like that. I was watchin a show on discovery where they fixed a shotgunned cd.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelnut View Post
    Well if everyone did that, it would help the recession.

Anywho, the only conceivable way to do it is if you had a friend with the cia/fbi who deals with data recovery like that. I was watchin a show on discovery where they fixed a shotgunned cd.
    Did they actually "fix" the CD or just recover the data? The OP asked if there was a way to fix one. So the correct answer would be no. Recover the data yes, I think it could be possible to recover 100% of the data, but not to fix the CD. But that's all a moot point now since it seems the OP has been banned.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    squirrelnut1416

Yeah your right, they recovered the data. Oh well write the data as an iso and burn it to a disk?

Insert Coin (Level 0) tommyscat1973's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ya know, I gotta say, with this much imagination rolling around this thread, ANYTHING is possible. But I have to agree, it's probably easier, cheaper, and safer for your ps2 to just get a new on. Noticed you didn't answer the "on purpose" question? Just Curious.
    Learn from the past, but don't dwell on it. Live in the present; it's the only certain thing. Plan for the future; you might actually make it through the day.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Chew some Wrigley's Juicy Fruit and stick it on there, it'll boot up in no time!
    #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I tried to find the info on the net but I couldn't so I put together this picture to show how it would be possible to retrieve data from a broken disc. I should note though that this is based on a drawing one of my engineering professors did about 5 years ago so it might not be quite accutate.

Data is stored like this so scratches and dust won't destroy data. It wouldn't help a broken disk for a normal CD-ROM drive but it should show how it would be possible for experts to retrieve data from one. No, your not fixing the disk. No, glue won't help. Yes, it would be better just to replace the disc.