Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "PS3mote" spotted at focus test?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Default "PS3mote" spotted at focus test?

One question.... Why?

The PS3 controllers are fine, as they are. Sony, you're making yourself look like you've ran out of ideas, and just wanna copy everyone else, now.

I mean, are these really necessary?

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/06/02/ru...at-focus-test/

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hahahaha, looks kinda cool but uh really don't think it's necessary. If it does happen then I wouldn't mind taking a look into it.

Strawberry (Level 2) JunkTheMagicDragon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    shaftinator84

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy View Post
    One question.... Why?

The PS3 controllers are fine, as they are. Sony, you're making yourself look like you've ran out of ideas, and just wanna copy everyone else, now.
    i feel the same way about sony and ms (regarding the rumored newton controller). i think any temporary increase in sales from people who wanna wiimote with their HD picture would be offset by the negative image as the 'me too' console.

if they wanna innovate, be innovative, and not just ape nintendo.

better yet, innovate on xbox 720 and ps4. don't screw early adopters like sony did with the dualshock (1&3).
    Last edited by JunkTheMagicDragon; 06-02-2008 at 03:53 PM. Reason: wording

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

While I certainly understand everybody's frustration over these types of things ...

... historically speaking, any time there is a significant controller "innovation" (read something that generates lots of sales) everybody adopts it.

(Pad style controllers, shoulder buttons, analog, dual analog, rumble packs, built in rumble, standard wireless, and so on and so forth)

it was (and is) only a matter of time until we see Wiimote type controllers on Microsoft and Sony platforms if for no other reason they're a driving form factor of a massively dominating global platform in the Wii.

Of course, I'd still like to see MS and Sony continue to innovate in their own respective rights too.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I appreciate Sony, and am very excited to be getting a PS3 on June 12th with the MGS4 bundle, however to imply that the Sony gaming devision has ever had an original idea in its life is flat out wrong. Every innovation to the controller, from the layout of the buttons to the analog stick, even to the rumble have been a me too effort just copying what nintendo did first.

And maybe that's alright, Imitation is the highest form of flattery, but to be surprised that Sony is continuing to copy what Nintendo has proven is nothing new and really only makes sony look bad to most of it's followers (Especially to those that up until the release will call the wii-mote a gimmick).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Jackattack View Post
    I appreciate Sony, and am very excited to be getting a PS3 on June 12th with the MGS4 bundle, however to imply that the Sony gaming devision has ever had an original idea in its life is flat out wrong. Every innovation to the controller, from the layout of the buttons to the analog stick, even to the rumble have been a me too effort just copying what nintendo did first.

And maybe that's alright, Imitation is the highest form of flattery, but to be surprised that Sony is continuing to copy what Nintendo has proven is nothing new and really only makes sony look bad to most of it's followers (Especially to those that up until the release will call the wii-mote a gimmick).
    To be fair, if they're being included in this discussion - Microsoft hasn't REEEALLY innovated anything console-wise either.

(And before people jump down my throat about it, yes yes, they've packaged a lot of excellent stuff for the console market that was previously only PC fare. XBLA is what it is, and they were 1st to the gate with pay-for-digital-distribution ... but, all that stuff was simply TRANSLATED well to the console format by MS, not invented for it)

Yes, they've done a lot well in recent in recent generations, but they're just as guilty as Sony in terms of being a "me too" hardware developer.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 06-02-2008 at 05:22 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    While I certainly understand everybody's frustration over these types of things ...

... historically speaking, any time there is a significant controller "innovation" (read something that generates lots of sales) everybody adopts it.

(Pad style controllers, shoulder buttons, analog, dual analog, rumble packs, built in rumble, standard wireless, and so on and so forth)

it was (and is) only a matter of time until we see Wiimote type controllers on Microsoft and Sony platforms if for no other reason they're a driving form factor of a massively dominating global platform in the Wii.

Of course, I'd still like to see MS and Sony continue to innovate in their own respective rights too.
    precisely. stop being haters. im all up for having a console that is a media powerhouse, a graphics/physics powerhouse AND has those cool quirky mini games found on the wii. plus with nintendo's lack of quality control these days (speaking about software) im muuuuuch more interested in seeing what lands in Sony/MS's court (including XBL!)

its not about who thought of what first. its about who did it best (and smartest).

edit: lets call it the "PStwiimote"
    Last edited by Poofta!; 06-02-2008 at 06:15 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jackattack View Post
    to be surprised that Sony is continuing to copy what Nintendo has proven is nothing new and really only makes sony look bad to most of it's followers (Especially to those that up until the release will call the wii-mote a gimmick).
    Yes, if this rumor turns out to be true, I can see it now: most Sony fans who call the Wii remote a dumb gimmick will all of a sudden love the "PS3mote," which is almost identical.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    ..."PS3mote,"...
    no dude... PSTwiiMOTE!!!!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was afraid that the Wii remote gets copied by Sony and MS. We'll have the war of the gimmicks if these "'new" controllers work as well (=bad) as the Wii remote...which I expect they will.

PS3 and 360 owners prepare for the big revolution in gaming for short shallow party games, offerings of cheap shovelware, hopes for the included option with the standard buttons, and just plain 'fun.' At least these two systems don't sell because of the gimmick and the devices are cheap afterthought copycats based on mere salesnumbers. Nintendo is the driving force of game design and others follow happily the money path.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

HAHA OMG. Sony just made my day! Thanks guys. I thought it was only Sega nowadays that needed a laser sight to shoot their own foot. *giggle* This generation is getting REAL interesting.

Forget everything derogative we ever said in the past about the Wiimote! For now, we bring you ours! Line-up, there is enough for everyone!

*crickets*

RIDDDDDGE RAACCCCERRRRRRR!

*crickets stop*

Crap...
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 06-03-2008 at 12:38 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Sony can make a remote for their over-bloated system. I am speaking as a current PS3 owner...they need to just stick to the basics and not try to copy the competition. They need to just make an affordable game system to sell millions. Attaching a controller to a $400 machine is not gonna cut it.

Problems forseen: They will charge $59.99 and nobody will care
    It will work only with certain games that nobody will buy
    Nintendo Will Sue their ass
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by swlovinist View Post
    Sony can make a remote for their over-bloated system. I am speaking as a current PS3 owner...they need to just stick to the basics and not try to copy the competition. They need to just make an affordable game system to sell millions. Attaching a controller to a $400 machine is not gonna cut it.

Sue?

Why would both Microsoft (allegedly) and Sony (allegedly) develop controller technology if Nintendo had some type of total patent on it?

Granted it's not like lawsuits and controllers are total strangers, as everybody has had their share of legal issues with Immersion (the rumble people) ... but I doubt that MS and Sony would develop a remote style controller if Nintendo had an iron-clad patent on the intellectual design concept.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I would just like to see Sony and Microsoft continue to make great games that everybody enjoys. It would be better if Sony did more with the tilt function in the sixaxis and dualshock, I wouldn't mind a little bit of that action (flow used the tilt rather well).

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by JunkTheMagicDragon View Post
    think any temporary increase in sales from people who wanna wiimote with their HD picture would be offset by the negative image as the 'me too' console.
    As a 360 owner I disagree. There's no way I'm buying a Wii*. I know I'd enjoy it and the style of game it offers, but I'm not really interested in spending the dough for another console just so I can play Bowling and Tennis**.

If MS offered me a similar controller and similar simple games I'd buy it, and be happy they were pulling a 'me too' because it saves me a few hundred bucks.

(* As a collector of consoles, I'll own a PS3 and Wii eventually, but not until the tail end of their life cycles)

(** I know the Wii offers more than just the sports stuff, but that's all I'd buy at this point anyway)
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Insert Coin (Level 0) figment1988's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by swlovinist View Post

i totally agree. if nintendo gets word on this, there might be a lawsuit in Sony's future.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The picture of the "new" sony re(wii)-mote looks like a april fools joke. No way that picture is real? It is just a black wii remote. I guess I should have read the article better. I am sure it is an artist's mock-up.
    edit: Yeah, it is an artist's mock-up. I should have read the small print at the bottom of article.
    Last edited by MachineGex; 06-03-2008 at 05:03 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by figment1988 View Post
    i totally agree. if nintendo gets word on this, there might be a lawsuit in Sony's future.
    Come on party peoples,

let's sit back and think about this for a second.

Out of all the individual part that make up a Wiimote (or their collective sum) ... not a single one would really allow Nintendo to (effectively) sue over hardware "patent/copyright" ... perhaps over some type of intellectual property/design for the "shape" of it ... but that's much harder to prove.

• Gyrometer
    • Accelerometer
    • LED Sensor
    • Bluetooth
    • Internal Speaker

Sorry ... those are all very well tread areas in electronics and gaming.

Sure, they could sue whoever they want (this is America, land of the frivolous lawsuit) but that doesn't mean that they'd have a real case.

Level 10 Manly Pink Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Sure, they could sue whoever they want (this is America, land of the frivolous lawsuit) but that doesn't mean that they'd have a real case.
    Nor did the woman who sued Mcdonalds for spilling her own hot coffee in her lap in my own opinion.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I really like how the Wiimote can be inserted into the steering wheel or the zapper/gun contraption, thus giving you several kinds of controllers in one. I should think that would be really nice to have for both PS3 and 360. I really don't see the Wii's simple games being very popular with the other systems though. Again, the Wii has sold because it is dramatically less expensive than the other two. So I don't see MS or Sony gaining those types of buyers, especially not little kids. But if I had a 360 or PS3 and the time to play it, I would definitely welcome the remote and accessories option for them. But I wouldn't want to use it for bowling.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK