Thread: Scam using paypal to pay?

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Default Scam using paypal to pay?

I sell lots of stuff on Craigslist, and so pretty regularly get people trying to pull a scam. It has always been on PS2s in the past. Today I got an odd one about an SNES. I'll just quote it below. The question is, how are they pulling off a scam if using paypal? E-check that won't clear?

Thanks for the quick response but am afraid to tell you that i will not be
    able to pay cash because am not local at the moment , though am a US
    resident but am on a business trip oversea.However am buying this on behalf
    of my colleague whose nintendo crashed . i would appreciate if you allow me
    to pay through paypal and i will add 100usd as shipping cost..However if you
    dont have paypal account just go to paypal.com and set up an account it is
    free easy and secure to pay and receive
    money through paypal..ITS GUARANTEES TRANSACTION SAFETY.
    oh, and their email account name is marc anthony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    I sell lots of stuff on Craigslist, and so pretty regularly get people trying to pull a scam. It has always been on PS2s in the past. Today I got an odd one about an SNES. I'll just quote it below. The question is, how are they pulling off a scam if using paypal? E-check that won't clear?

oh, and their email account name is marc anthony.
    Many ways.

They could sent you a fake you have cash email, use a stolen account, use a stolen credit card.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are many other ways, too. Even if the payment is legit (which it is not), they could receive the items and then either claim that they didn't received them (if no tracking number is available), or that the items are not described.

A likely scenario would be receiving the item, opening a paypal dispute on the basis of "item not as described." Paypal will tell them to return the item and provide tracking info for a refund. The problem is that the buyer could return an item of lesser value, provide tracking info for it, and still receive a refund from paypal.

However, this guy's email to you has scam written all over it.
    "You can judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
    - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

My feedback
    Digitpress.com
    Neo-Geo.com (over 100 feedbacks)
    Sega-Naomi.com
    GameGavel.com
    ChasetheChuckwagon.com

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bibliophile View Post
    There are many other ways, too. Even if the payment is legit (which it is not), they could receive the items and then either claim that they didn't received them (if no tracking number is available), or that the items are not described.

A likely scenario would be receiving the item, opening a paypal dispute on the basis of "item not as described." Paypal will tell them to return the item and provide tracking info for a refund. The problem is that the buyer could return an item of lesser value, provide tracking info for it, and still receive a refund from paypal.

However, this guy's email to you has scam written all over it.
    I thought these protections only applied to eBay sales.

The fake 'you've got cash' email is something I hadn't considered, but I print all my labels through paypal, so even if I didn't recognize it as a fake I'd be okay. Clearly this is a scam, I just like to know how. Stolen CC or account... would I be liable?

Seems very odd that someone would pull a scam like this for 40 bucks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    I thought these protections only applied to eBay sales.

The fake 'you've got cash' email is something I hadn't considered, but I print all my labels through paypal, so even if I didn't recognize it as a fake I'd be okay. Clearly this is a scam, I just like to know how. Stolen CC or account... would I be liable?

Seems very odd that someone would pull a scam like this for 40 bucks.
    "Item not received" and "Item significantly not as described" disputes apply to all paypal transactions, not just those originating on ebay. So that possibility always exists when accepting paypal.

What this guy's MO is, we really can't say. However, his email looks highly suspicious. I would just require him to pay by cash in person or money order via mail. If he can't do either, I would suggest you pass on him.
    "You can judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
    - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

My feedback
    Digitpress.com
    Neo-Geo.com (over 100 feedbacks)
    Sega-Naomi.com
    GameGavel.com
    ChasetheChuckwagon.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The seller is still liable if someone uses a stolen credit card. I know this from personal experience having had my PSP "stolen" in this way. My guess is he would just send you a fake email. I've gotten those before but they are easy to spot. Most of the time the body is just a screenshot of a real email, but sometimes they actually try to fake it with fonts and such. Those never look even close, and I'm actually kind of disappointed when I get them because it means the scammer just didn't try very hard. I mean, if you are trying to scam somebody you can't be a lazy ass about it. Come on!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Quote Originally Posted by carlcarlson View Post
    The seller is still liable if someone uses a stolen credit card. I know this from personal experience having had my PSP "stolen" in this way. My guess is he would just send you a fake email. I've gotten those before but they are easy to spot. Most of the time the body is just a screenshot of a real email, but sometimes they actually try to fake it with fonts and such. Those never look even close, and I'm actually kind of disappointed when I get them because it means the scammer just didn't try very hard. I mean, if you are trying to scam somebody you can't be a lazy ass about it. Come on!
    If the scammer wasn't lazy he wouldn't have to be a scammer. He would be a productive member of society. Lazy people HAVE to scam just to keep up.