Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any chance XBLA games will get cheaper soon?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Any chance XBLA games will get cheaper soon?

I've got some XBLA points I want to spend, but there are a few games that are more expensive than I would like (i.e. they're 800 points which I feel is too much, but would be comfortable with 400).

Is there any reason to believe there will be a price reduction on any XBLA games in the near future?
    Last edited by c0ldb33r; 07-14-2008 at 08:42 AM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

nope, they make enough money at those prices, also see the outragous prices for the wii downloadable games, they'll always be that expensive as most people don't mind paying that much for em, (at least with xbox you're getting more then just moderatly well emulated romz)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, there's no reason for them to go down. It's possible they'll do a sale at some point for certain games as a kind of promotion or something, but a universal drop is not going to happen.

What I would love is for some of them to be released in physical form, namely Puzzle Quest. I don't like the DRM restrictions, and I can't stand paying money for data if I don't have to. I know there are other versions of this, but I'd love to use the Live capabilities of the 360 version. Doubt it will happen, but here's hoping...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    modest9797

I belive some games were reduced after the arcade awards or something. I am pretty sure DOOM went from 800 to 400 but I am not sure.
    Xbox Live : modest9797
    Games I Want
    PS1: 2% PS2: 0%
    Xbox: 42% GC: 18%

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah they do. It becomes and XBLA Hit(or w/e they are called). For example, Assault Heroes became only 400 points.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Considering that Penny Arcade was one of the best selling XBLA games of 2008 (if not the best so far) ... and it has the high price tag of $20 ...

... I doubt it.

A huge of a P.A. fan as I am, I'm going to wait for episode 2 and see if they run a sale on the first or a bundle of both to buy that one.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I'm waiting for Puzzle Quest to go down from 1200 ($15). I've been close to buying it so many times it's not even funny.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    I'm waiting for Puzzle Quest to go down from 1200 ($15). I've been close to buying it so many times it's not even funny.
    Yeah, it's the first game I've actually considered buying. I got the demo last night and I'm hooked. Puzzle game? Yes please. RPG? Hell yes!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DKTheArcadeRat

I want to buy the Penny Arcade game...but 20 is too much for me to spend on a non-physical copy of a game.
    Quote Originally Posted by garagesaleking!! View Post
    ebay is the only way to price things in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by garagesaleking!! View Post
    i was like nice parenting, what are you my therapist, take a walk

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Too bad you didn't get on the Target 1600 point card deal last week -- they were selling them for $15, giving you a 25% discount on buying MS points. I picked up four cards on the Sunday morning they went on sale.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't mind supporting the developers in some instances. Like I loved assault heroes. Others I think is gouging but they do drop prices. Like doom and assault dropped to 400. both I thought were a steal at that price.
    neo geo system

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by carlcarlson View Post
    What I would love is for some of them to be released in physical form, namely Puzzle Quest. I don't like the DRM restrictions, and I can't stand paying money for data if I don't have to.
    Devil's Advocate: Which of the consoles uses physical media sans DRM? Yes, you can take your disc to your buddy's house, but (IIRC) you can also log into his 360 and play a game you've downloaded.

And when you buy a game, you're really paying for the data anyway. The disc is just the container, same as buying a soda, you're buying the liquid inside the bottle and the bottle is just the container.

The only thing I don't like about the DLC games is what we're talking about here. Prices tend not to go down. Not having physical media suits me fine. I'm over being a collector. But, I also rarely buy full priced games. There are a lot of Live games I'd buy at half (or ever 75%) what they are now, but, to me, they're not worth the $10 they're asking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wrong View Post
    The only thing I don't like about the DLC games is what we're talking about here. Prices tend not to go down. Not having physical media suits me fine. I'm over being a collector. But, I also rarely buy full priced games. There are a lot of Live games I'd buy at half (or ever 75%) what they are now, but, to me, they're not worth the $10 they're asking.
    Amen. I'll usually only ever buy clearance/used games and that's never an option with DLC

Pac-Man (Level 10) djbeatmongrel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzwing256 View Post
    nope, they make enough money at those prices, also see the outragous prices for the wii downloadable games, they'll always be that expensive as most people don't mind paying that much for em, (at least with xbox you're getting more then just moderatly well emulated romz)
    although i have nothing to contribute to this thread as i dont have a 360 but was curious on about what was being discussed i do feel the need to point out that the wii now has a thing called wiiware. these are not the romz you speak
    4 Wonderswan Consoles, 98 CIB Wonderswan/Color Games
    6 Wonderswan Accessories,1 Wonderswan Prototype

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Regarding a Puzzle Quest price drop:

I don't know if there will be a price drop, but if there is it could possibly occur when either the expansion "Revenge of the Plague Lord" or the new "Puzzle Quest: Galatrix" is released.

Regarding LIVE points on sale:

Next week (6/8 -- 6/14) Circuit City is supposed to have 1600 LIVE points cards on sale for $14.99. I believe this offer will also be available on-line at circuitcity.com.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wrong View Post
    Devil's Advocate: Which of the consoles uses physical media sans DRM? Yes, you can take your disc to your buddy's house, but (IIRC) you can also log into his 360 and play a game you've downloaded.

And when you buy a game, you're really paying for the data anyway. The disc is just the container, same as buying a soda, you're buying the liquid inside the bottle and the bottle is just the container.

I see what you're saying, but I still don't like it. First off I should note that I've never actually purchased any DLC so I'm not entirely sure how it works, but from my understanding a lot of the games require you to be logged on to Live to even play. That's a problem for me as I have to switch my internet between my computer and my 360. Also, I buy/sell 360s and am constantly upgrading my equipment with whatever comes in, so it's very possible that any DLC I had would have to be sold with something that I'm replacing (like a 120 gb hdd).

And yeah, I'm already buying data but the physicality is what is important to me. I don't care that's it's still 1s and 0s, it's on a physical container as you put it, so I can always hold on to it.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

Quote Originally Posted by djbeatmongrel View Post
    although i have nothing to contribute to this thread as i dont have a 360 but was curious on about what was being discussed i do feel the need to point out that the wii now has a thing called wiiware. these are not the romz you speak

yup, and I am keeping an eye on wiiware for anything interesting (the pokemon ranch idea sounds interesting at least)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just to let you guys know: I read over on Cheap Ass Gamer that Puzzle Quest for XBLA is dropping to 800 points on 7/16.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cantaloup View Post
    Just to let you guys know: I read over on Cheap Ass Gamer that Puzzle Quest for XBLA is dropping to 800 points on 7/16.
    Is there a valid reason for buying the XBLA version if you already own it for DS?
    Wii: 8285 8147 1575 6278

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Quote Originally Posted by robotriot View Post
    Is there a valid reason for buying the XBLA version if you already own it for DS?
    If you already have it on another system then I'm going to say no. Unless you are into achievement points.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew