Thread: Skies of Arcadia

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Viraneth

Default Skies of Arcadia

How rare is Skies of Arcadia? Is buying a good quality game (complete) worth $20?
    For the glory of the Lion, and for the Emperor!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

EDIT: Nevermind.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dreamcast or Gamecube?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great game, well worth $20 for either the Dreamcast or Gamecube.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

Quote Originally Posted by darkhades View Post
    Great game, well worth $20 for either the Dreamcast or Gamecube.
    I second that.

Thinking of Arcadia, I really need to get it for my new Dreamcast....
    The GC version was awesome, but it seems to be a bit more expensive than the other version. Is this just eBay's logic, or is the GC version really harder to find?
    In Heaven, everything is fine.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The GameCube version is $14.99 at Gamestop used right now, assuming you can find a complete one. Good luck.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I loved the game in nearly every respect except for the combat system. The color gimmick in there never really panned out for me and it just felt like an unnecessary addition thrown in as an afterthought, but beyond that the game grabbed me by the balls and dragged me along for the whole ride. Loved it loved it loved it.

Played through it on Gamecube and only touched a little bit of the additional content. I didn't have the best of sound systems hooked up, so the nearly imperceptible drop in audio quality in it didn't bother me at all. Wish I had the time to go back and mow through it again, but I really ought to finish off Baten Kaitos Origins first. Still feeling bad about dropping that one due to difficulty.

Doesn't matter which version you buy as long as you get it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

Quote Originally Posted by josekortez View Post
    The GameCube version is $14.99 at Gamestop used right now, assuming you can find a complete one. Good luck.
    That's a good deal!
    I better get searching.....
    In Heaven, everything is fine.

Level 10 Manly Pink Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

When I bought my copy (when Dreamcast was still a serious game system) I found it hard to find a copy with a second disk that does not have problems. My sister went through three copies, her ex went through more.

I'm pretty sure that's pretty common with multi disk games. Just a thought that Skies of Arcadia for Dreamcast is something you might want to be a bit careful with.

Although I have seen those bugs work out in the players favor. Such as the Ex's final copy had only one bug that manifested itself into a chest that closed and gave more items 20 or so times...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle15 View Post
    I second that.

Thinking of Arcadia, I really need to get it for my new Dreamcast....
    The GC version was awesome, but it seems to be a bit more expensive than the other version. Is this just eBay's logic, or is the GC version really harder to find?
    Hmm things must have changed :/ The dreamcast version used to be more expensive The GC version is more common nowadays I think ;p The games getting rarer and rarer ;p

Quote Originally Posted by otoko View Post
    When I bought my copy (when Dreamcast was still a serious game system) I found it hard to find a copy with a second disk that does not have problems. My sister went through three copies, her ex went through more.

I'm pretty sure that's pretty common with multi disk games. Just a thought that Skies of Arcadia for Dreamcast is something you might want to be a bit careful with.

Although I have seen those bugs work out in the players favor. Such as the Ex's final copy had only one bug that manifested itself into a chest that closed and gave more items 20 or so times...
    Weird Never had trouble with my disks at all ;p even did some professional resurfacing on my first disk and it works just fine despite the bad stories i hear about dc disks being ruined with resurfacing.

-----------

To the OP, if your buying it too resell it you won't make much of a profit, but that's a decent price right there for either one really. The game is amazing and I stand behind it 100%

Here's the longass "lookback" I wrote about it ;p And a video

http://dao2skp.gametrailers.com/game...blog&id=109156

Level 10 Manly Pink Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

Got lucky I guess? I dunno, I find the more disks included the more the chance of trouble. All the same with my copies of D2, Shenmue, Alone in the dark, Final Fantasy VII, and Heart of Darkness...

Then again it could just be the luck of people around me...

Anyway. Out of all my games there are very few I pick up again and again. Approximately 20 or so out of my 500 plus game collection. Such titles are the Sonic titles for Genesis, Zero Wing (it's funny), Sonic Adventure, Mario Bros., Mario Galaxy, Jet Grind Radio and so on.

It is one of those that's worthy of my short short short... lightbulb...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by otoko View Post
    Got lucky I guess? I dunno, I find the more disks included the more the chance of trouble. All the same with my copies of D2, Shenmue, Alone in the dark, Final Fantasy VII, and Heart of Darkness...

Then again it could just be the luck of people around me...

Anyway. Out of all my games there are very few I pick up again and again. Approximately 20 or so out of my 500 plus game collection. Such titles are the Sonic titles for Genesis, Zero Wing (it's funny), Sonic Adventure, Mario Bros., Mario Galaxy, Jet Grind Radio and so on.

It is one of those that's worthy of my short short short... lightbulb...
    weird never had trouble with multidisk games ;p usually if anything the first cd if i get it off someone beause of the heavy use on the first one ;p

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Quote Originally Posted by dao2 View Post
    weird never had trouble with multidisk games ;p usually if anything the first cd if i get it off someone beause of the heavy use on the first one ;p
    Lol, same here- in my copy of FF8 disc 1 was heavily used, disc 2 was slightly used, but discs 3 and 4 were immaculate. Always makes me chuckle.

But back on topic, if you see SoA, doesn't matter which system, buy it. IMO best traditional RPG on the Dreamcast and just about the best on Gamecube too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Absolutely awesome game. I got all the way to the end of the Dreamcast version, but never actually finished it. I missed the fetch quest to get Aika's best weapon and then just stopped playing due to other commitments.

However, I shall be starting the Gamecube version of the game on Wii just as soon as I've polished off Metroid Prime and Resident Evil 0.

I really hope Sega give us some sort of sequel. Even if it's just a re-telling of the same story or set in the same world featuring another band of Air Pirates. The whole concept of the world and it's atmosphere was amazing.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

I'm not really a big RPG guy but this is well worth anyone's time. Great game. I played the GC version (and now have a copy of the DC version I may play...)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icbrkr

I think both the DC and GC versions ran me $20 ea. The GC copy is the way to go as said already, some bug fixes, updates and other neat things.

I don't really get into RPGs as much as I'd like to, but this game goes on my 'top RPGs ever' list. I sat down and fired it up one day just to test out my cube and ended up playing all through the night. The wife played it all the way through as well. My fingers are crossed for a sequel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by icbrkr View Post
    I think both the DC and GC versions ran me $20 ea. The GC copy is the way to go as said already, some bug fixes, updates and other neat things.

I don't really get into RPGs as much as I'd like to, but this game goes on my 'top RPGs ever' list. I sat down and fired it up one day just to test out my cube and ended up playing all through the night. The wife played it all the way through as well. My fingers are crossed for a sequel.
    Yeah the GC version could be called "superior" I guess.

Off the top of my head changes.

Decreased random battle rate (still a fuckton of random battles though ;p)

The DLC islands packed in already of course, so now you can get final cupil.

Audio Quality was DOWN, but hard too notice ;p

Video qaulity: Supposedly better actually the textures look grainier Though you won't notice unless you put them side by side.

The 4 airship battle monsters (not 100% sure if this wasn't in the DC, I don't think it was)

Moonfish/Piastol Storyline

The 3 Secrets (always fun ;p, if you did some pretty hard things you unlocked the best cutlass for vyse in the game, not the one that you make from the metal on the floor, the 3 secrets one. A special discovery, and a battle with a former foe Hard as hell)

Elacian the black looper (again not 100% if he wasn't in the original)

Becoming Vyse the Legend has gotten much harder

Not sure about this but it seemed easier to me

The Bounty system and new Bounty Battles (very hard opponents)

hmmm that's all I can remember >< If there's anymore it's in my blog that I linked earlier.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Viraneth

A local store of mine has Skies of Arcadia. The case looks like it was barely ever opened. I picked up Quake III, Evolution 2, and Dead or Alive 2 for a total of $10 as a just in case kinda thing. If it is still there next weekend, I will try to get it.
    For the glory of the Lion, and for the Emperor!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Man, you got a good deal! My local game store charges 20 dollars for Skies of Arcadia and Quake III!

If you really like Skies of Arcadia (which you should )one thing of note is the Demo that came with the Official DC magazine. The demo of Skies of Arcadia is really cool. Its filled with mini games and different stuff that was not in the final release of the game. The world is arranged differently and it feels like a little 1 or 2 hour expansion. I loved it!
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?