Thread: can I claim my old xbox live tag?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default can I claim my old xbox live tag?

A long long time ago, in a land far far away, I got my original xbox. It came with 3 months free xbox live, which I claimed under the name "c0ldb33r". I let it expire and that was the end of it.

I just got my xbox 360 two weeks ago and wanted to use c0ldb33r as my xbox live tag but couldn't. I can't remember what email address I used to claim it, and I can't remember the password to that account.

I'm pretty certain its the same account as it doesn't have any gamerscore or achievements, as shown in this gamercard:

Right now my xbox live tag is "peepee monster", but I'd really prefer to have "c0ldb33r" back, and since I've only got about 200 gamer points I don't mind resetting it to switch over.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me out!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Have you tried contacting Microsoft? Also if there's a "forgot my password" option just type in the gamertag and your email addresses (how many have you had over the years?) and check the accounts you still can to see if you get the message...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    Also if there's a "forgot my password" option just type in the gamertag and your email addresses (how many have you had over the years?) and check the accounts you still can to see if you get the message...
    I've had a surprising amount of email addresses over the years, and can't remember the passwords for most

I have not tried contacting MS, but I expect they would simply say too bad.

edit: I just emailed xbox live support, I'll let post their response, if any, in here.
    Last edited by c0ldb33r; 06-05-2008 at 11:42 AM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

2 things, you'll probably need to know the email address attached to the original account, along with some other info like zip code and such.

Second, your new gamertag will be banned shortly and you'll be asked to make a new name. It makes you look like a child molester.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought "peepee monster" was funny, it came from Invader Zim.

If it's banned, would I lose my gamerpoints and achievements? I don't mind losing them if I can switch back to c0ldb33r, but I don't want to lose them for no reason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    Second, your new gamertag will be banned shortly and you'll be asked to make a new name. It makes you look like a child molester.
    hahahahahahahahahaha

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

You can always make a new "Cold beer" tag if it isn't taken.

Or "Code beer".

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

I had the tag Cryomancer back in the days when PSOX was active. One year, I decided I was done playing PSOX, and since that's all I used Live for I called and cancelled it (since you can just let if fall to inactive if it was on a credit card. it charges automatically.) Now When I got my 360 i tried to recover this account but here is what I have learned in the process:

My original account is FORVER LOCKED because I cancelled the credit card charges and did not renew them within (60 or 90, can't remember) days.
    My original account cannot be deleted either, so the name Cryomancer is now forever in limbo.
    Nowadays, if you use the xbox live time cards, and you run out, you are set to silver but your account remains active and useable, and can be put back to gold at any time by putting in a new card, however...
    If you set up an account now with a credit card, make damn sure you will have that same card and continue to use it every year until you are done with live because you will be fucked over if you ever cancel.
    I know there was a card for live time on original xbox if you bought the "kit" with the headset. I did. But then later used a credit card to renew. Had I bought another kit and gotten another card, things MIGHT be different, not sure on that.

In other words: ONLY USE THE PREPAID CARDS. Apparently using a credit card means it's ok to fuck you over when they feel like it. Never did any of the literatature going "OH YEAH YOUR OLD GAMERTAG S WAITING FOR YOU! JUST RECOVER IT!" mention my issue, and i'm sure it is not an uncommon one. I suppose if I had at one time in the past converted my gamertag over to an xbox.com live ID or something, MAYBE it would have been saved, but again, did that option exist back when PSOX was still being played? If it did i sure wasn't aware.

tl;dr, i gave MS lots of my money for a few years of PSO on original xbox, and because I eventually cancelled it, lost my gamertag. Use the prepaid cards, always.

Now I have to deal with being Cryomancer2 which is no HUGE deal but it would have been nice to have known this before I spent half the day after xmas on the phone talking to the help line about it and getting the runaround, or any sort of warning to this years ago. obviously they weren't going to tell me there was gonna be the 360 back then, but damn.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    I thought "peepee monster" was funny, it came from Invader Zim.

If it's banned, would I lose my gamerpoints and achievements? I don't mind losing them if I can switch back to c0ldb33r, but I don't want to lose them for no reason.
    I'm a huge invader zim fan, but microsoft doesn't have a sense of humor.

You won't loose your points, you'll just get a notice telling you that you'll need to change your tag's name.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Even using the prepaid subscription cards in Xbox Live 1 starter kits, you were required to enter a cc number.

Not so on the 360 anymore. It can be done with cards with no credit card information logged into your account.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I got my response from xbox support. It's not what I wanted to hear but at least the fellow is nice enough about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry from xbox support
    Hello XXXXXX,

Thank you for writing Xbox Customer Support!

As I understand, you are wondering if you can retrieve an old gamertag (profile or account) because it has been cancelled due to inactivity for a long time now.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you but we retire all Gamertags after 6 months of consistent inactivity or after it was abandoned or changed by the owner to a new name. Currently, we have no plans to re-use old Gamertags, therefore you or others cannot use same gamertag again.

These gamertags were stored in our database even if it takes a long time; nobody can use it again to avoid complex issue of ownership. When others want to check it online, you will not find who owns it previously for security reasons.

Even if you found who owns it there are no ways you can use it again.

It is best that you create a unique or a whole new gamertag if you want to change the one that you have now.

We sincerely apologize once again for any inconvenience this may cause you. Thank you for understanding.

If you need to reply to this e-mail, please reply 'with history' (include any previous e-mail) so we can expedite our service to you.

You may call Xbox Phone Support at 1-800-4MYXBOX (1-800-469-9269) at your earliest convenience, and we’ll be happy to help you. We are open everyday from 6am to 10pm PST.

To expedite service, please provide Service Request Number XXXXXXXXXX when you call.

Thank you for visiting Xbox.com. If you should have future questions on Xbox products or services, please be sure to revisit our Web site as we are continually adding information to enhance our service.

Sincerely,

Henry
    Xbox Customer Care