Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is a N64 worth getting nowadays?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Is a N64 worth getting nowadays?

I want to get one, but it seems most of its games are meant to be player in multiplayer mode. Yes, there are some great single player games (Super Mario 64, both Zeldas, Paper Mario...) but what about games like Mario Kart, Perfect Dark, Goldeneye...?
    Step Back! This is my blast shot!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damon Plus View Post
    I want to get one, but it seems most of its games are meant to be player in multiplayer mode. Yes, there are some great single player games (Super Mario 64, both Zeldas, Paper Mario...) but what about games like Mario Kart, Perfect Dark, Goldeneye...?
    Goldeneye, Perfect Dark - Great single player games. Even Mario Kart 64, which can be obtained for around 5 bucks these days, is worth the price of admission. A stroll through all the courses in single player is pretty fun the first time around, and the second time, and by the third time it starts to get boring, but hey, it was 5 bucks

Since you can get an N64 for $20, I have only one question: Why in the hell not? You've already listed four games you think would be good single player games. That's dozens of hours of entertainment right there. That should be more than enough to justify $20, even if you don't get anything other than Super Mario 64, Zelda, and Paper Mario.

This is basically a "recommend me some N64 games" thread, isn't it?
    Last edited by Xizer; 06-06-2008 at 02:29 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Have a Wii? Many of the really good games (Ocarina of Time, Paper Mario, Kirby 64, etc) are already available on the virtual console for far less than what you'll spend trying to track down the cartridges.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy Color View Post
    Have a Wii? Many of the really good games (Ocarina of Time, Paper Mario, Kirby 64, etc) are already available on the virtual console for far less than what you'll spend trying to track down the cartridges.
    Eww, gross. Digital games.

In my opinion, if you're not even going to get a physical copy of it, you might as well just pirate it.

I'd recommend modding a Wii and throwing the games on there for free. Modded Xboxes can also play most N64 games well - they suck at emulating Banjo-Tooie, Perfect Dark and Donkey Kong 64, though. Those are the only three awesome N64 games that the Xbox chokes on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Also depending on where you are, you could probably find a decent deal on one with games over craigslist or yard sales so I definately think it is worth it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Until Stunt Racer 64, World Driver Championship, Rogue Squadron, Battle for Naboo, and Mystical Ninja Staring Goemon are all properly emulated, I think there's still a valid reason to pick up a physical N64.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will buy 100 copies of Mario Kart at 5$ a piece. Anyone let me know.
    Rarity guide addict. ASK For TRADES
    650+ different NES carts!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's definitely worth it. And be sure to check out Beetle Adventure Racing, Blast Corps, Micro Machines 64 Turbo, Rocket: Robot on Wheels, and Diddy Kong Racing (which offers a pretty good single player mode).

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I passed on buying an N64 for years. Then a few months ago I realized just how many EXCLUSIVE ARCADE racers the 64 had. I love arcade racing games, something that we don't get many of now that the arcade scene is virtually gone. A friend sold me his N64 and I am loving it!

Every weekend I have been out buying arcade racers for the system and when I think I have all the ones that I want, I end up discovering another.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think you kinda have to have some nostalgia for the N64 for it to be worthwhile. That being said it had a lot of great games. Here's some of the less-mentioned ones:

Wave Race 64 (IMO probably the best game on the console)
    Pilotwings 64
    Shadowgate Trial of the Four Towers
    Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The N64 has a lot of racers - I currently own 58 N64 games, and 29 of them are racing titles.

A few more recommendations:
    -The three Cruis'n games (USA, World, Exotica)
    -Pokemon Snap (a short but unique game that's pretty easy to find on the cheap)
    -Duck Dodgers (absolutely worth checking out if you're a fan of the cartoon - one of the better third party platformers)
    -Excitebike 64
    -Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by DefaultGen; 03-12-2023 at 07:01 PM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Other than the Genesis, the N64 is often the system I see cheapest in the wild. And most pawn shops still carry N64 games, if you're looking for good deals. It's an oft shat upon system, but there are still many good games available for it. Goldeneye is in my top 5 games of all time- I have many fond memories of playing that one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    PentiumMMX

The N64 is a great system, and it's not too expensive at the moment. If you hunt around, you can find some great games at decent prices. Just don't go in expecting it to be equal to Super NES (That's why most people hate the N64)

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

Definetly ( trust me playing mario 64 is not the same on the wii as it is on the 64) I bought mine at launch and still love it. Definetly get one and there are tons of games for it to get

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Xizer View Post
    Eww, gross. Digital games.

In my opinion, if you're not even going to get a physical copy of it, you might as well just pirate it.
    I'd rather emulate and use my 360 controller than the Wii's controller anyhow.

Some other games worth finding:

Mischief Makers
    Castlevania and Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness
    Extreme-G 1 & 2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

f-zero x (whether or not you like racers this game rocks)
    turok 1 (though id steer clear of the sequels)
    1080 (it still rocks suck it ssx, though pulling off a 1080 in this game may be harder than pulling one off in real life)
    Banjo-Kazooie & banjo-tooie
    donkey kong 64 (best platformer on the system imho)
    gauntlet legends (hands down the best version released on a home console)
    mario party 2 (the peak of the series, makes no case for single player games really but it is a blast with 4 friends)
    nfl blitz 2000 (one of about 10 sports games that i consider great and actually play)
    resident evil 2 (has a new item randomization mode not featured on the psx release )
    starfox 64 (the absolute height of the starfox series and one of the best games on the system a must play)
    and lets not leave out superman 64, you too can play a game that somehow manages to be worse than shaq-fu!
    For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle.

DP Feedback Thread
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ight=mrsparkle

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought my first n64 only for the purpose of playing mario kart 64. It was totally worth it. Single player and multi player are both amazing.

I actually never played Goldeneye until one day when I was having a huge gaming party at my house and someone else saw that I had Goldeneye (yes I had it and never played it along with the other 6.34 million games that I haven't gotten around to playing yet). So we played Goldeneye multi player and it I was hooked, even though i couldn't have sucked more at the game. So after that I played through the single player to get better at it. It is still the most played game in my collection, both single player and multi player.

So even if there were no other sweet games, which there definitely are, it would be worth it for Goldeneye and Mario Kart alone.

I passed up a complete n64 yesterday for $5.99 at the local thrift store because I already have like 7 or 8 n64's. And I have never paid more than 3.99 for Mario Kart or Goldeneye at a thrift store and they show up all the time because they were so popular.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, it's definitely worth it IMO. Most of the games have aged pretty well.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Recently got an N64 myself and most of the games mentioned above are awesome!

My only complaint is with N64 controller itself. My hands were getting cramps trying to get to all buttons. You either had your left hand on the stick and Z button or the control pad and L button (and possibly the Z button if your ring finger can reach it).

I do remember spotting a third-party controller that rectified this at Joe's store, but I can't remember the name. No matter, I'm stopping by this place anyway or should have a picture up shortly after that.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/