Thread: Playstation 1 region bypass/mods

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Playstation 1 region bypass/mods

Im sure this isnt the first thread on this topic (couldnt find a relevant one because of that damned 4 letter search restriction!). Anyway i just won a copy of vib ribbon on ebay after seeing the retroware tv review of it (if you havent seen it check it out this game looks cool as hell). I need to bypass the region lock now ive heard in passing this can be done with a gameshark and i remember an old roomie had a loose circuit board thing that plugged into the back of his ps1. what is the easiest/best/fairly affordable/doesnt require technical knowledge of console modding way to bypass the region lock on my ps1. or if it would be easier to do the same thing on the ps2 (on the ps2 it would have to involve absolutely no hard mods because my current ps2 is borrowed).
    For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle.

DP Feedback Thread
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ight=mrsparkle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrSparkle View Post
    Im sure this isnt the first thread on this topic (couldnt find a relevant one because of that damned 4 letter search restriction!). Anyway i just won a copy of vib ribbon on ebay after seeing the retroware tv review of it (if you havent seen it check it out this game looks cool as hell). I need to bypass the region lock now ive heard in passing this can be done with a gameshark and i remember an old roomie had a loose circuit board thing that plugged into the back of his ps1. what is the easiest/best/fairly affordable/doesnt require technical knowledge of console modding way to bypass the region lock on my ps1. or if it would be easier to do the same thing on the ps2 (on the ps2 it would have to involve absolutely no hard mods because my current ps2 is borrowed).
    you are out of luck on the PS2, the only way to play PS1 backups on a PS2 is with a swap disc like a breaker pro or a modchip. as for the PS1 you can use a swap trick with your import and a legit disc of your region, google around for it cause im not sure if i can explain it here due to rules, etc cause its the same method for booting CDR copies :P it's easy once you get the timing down. just be careful not to scratch the discs while swapping
    meow :3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

hmm ive heard of this method actually, back in the day. Forgot about it ill have to see if i can get that going. hopefully its not that much harder with vib ribbon as it involves putting all kinds of other music cds in. i may just break down and see if i can actually get one of the console modders on the forums to do a legit region bypass mod. but thanks for the heads up ill read up on that swap disc. luckily the ps2 i have is a modified original with a top load door and a friend of mine says he has swap discs somewhere so if that method works awesome.
    For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle.

DP Feedback Thread
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ight=mrsparkle

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SnowKitty View Post
    you are out of luck on the PS2, the only way to play PS1 backups on a PS2 is with a swap disc like a breaker pro or a modchip. as for the PS1 you can use a swap trick with your import and a legit disc of your region, google around for it cause im not sure if i can explain it here due to rules, etc cause its the same method for booting CDR copies :P it's easy once you get the timing down. just be careful not to scratch the discs while swapping
    I used to have a PSOne for this exact purpose... don't know if it's the same timing as a 'regular' PS1 but it wasn't too rough to get down, especially if you tape the eject holder-button thingie inside the lid.

... that's a technical term, btw.

-AB+