Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: favourite underdog console/s

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default favourite underdog console/s

yep another one of those favourite threads, if its been done before than just ignore it. this one is about you're favourite "underdog" console/s. that means a console which is disliked by the majority of people or unpopular consoles. not stuff like NES, SNES, GEN, PSX, etc so most consoles are underdogs. if you don't like any underdog consoles then just go and play your dam xbox dammit! just kidding ..... I'd never subject anyone to such torture. anyway the underdog consoles I am most fond of are CD-i, 3DO and Sega Master System
    Last edited by extra_anchovy; 06-10-2008 at 03:58 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dreamcast. Gets no respect just because its a Sega console and came out after their bumbling of the Saturn, 32X and Sega CD. Because of those mistakes, I constantly hear that the DC "sucks". But I like it, and since I know how to make my OWN decisions, that's all that matters in the end.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'd think the SEGA SATURN to adequately qualify as an underdog, especially taken in its NA 1995-1998 context.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    I'd think the SEGA SATURN to adequately qualify as an underdog, especially taken in its NA 1995-1998 context.
    I'm not sure that I would consider the Saturn an underdog system... It did pretty well for it's self in Japan and had a hardcore following (I was one of em') in the states. It's also known for it's high quality arcade ports and shooters. But, like you said it did have a short lifespan and at the time I guess people did trash talk it.

So I nominate the Saturn as well! Runner up would be the Turbo duo or Sega CD! I don't care what people say... The freaking Sega CD was a freaking awesome system with freaking awesome games!!!
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith Storm View Post
    I'm not sure that I would consider the Saturn an underdog system... It did pretty well for it's self in Japan and had a hardcore following (I was one of em') in the states. It's also known for it's high quality arcade ports and shooters. But, like you said it did have a short lifespan and at the time I guess people did trash talk it.

So I nominate the Saturn as well! Runner up would be the Turbo duo or Sega CD! I don't care what people say... The freaking Sega CD was a freaking awesome system with freaking awesome games!!!
    I would imagine that, despite its popularity in the US, the JN's could consider the XBOX to be an underdog over there. So, yeah, the Saturn is an underdog here.
    My fav underdog is the Virtualboy. I don't have one, though, so I guess my opinion could change some day. I do, however, find it to be very intriguing and the games we could have seen could have been a lot of fun. I think, second only to the CDi, it is the underdog I have spent the most time reading about. Had we gotten another year into development, I'd have bought one by now. There were some good plans for its future.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

The NGPC all the way...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Saturn and/or Dreamcast. Simple as that really.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    The NGPC all the way...
    Faselei! This game should have moved NGPC units by the truck load...
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Sega Master System.
    Atari 7800.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm quite fond of both my Vectrex and Fairchild Channel F. I imagine the Odyssey 2 counts as well since it was always in a distant third place with the VCS and INTV.
    The world has moved on and left me behind. Therefore I choose to retreat into the past.

is neither blue nor fast thom_m's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Dreamcast, all the way. My brother-in-law had one, and I'd spend hours playing Crazy Taxi 2 with him and my wife. It had other cool games, like Shen Mue or Street Fighter 3. It was a really great console, in my opinion, and it's a shame it died so early.

Quote Originally Posted by extra_anchovy View Post
    anyway the underdog consoles I am most fond of are CD-i, 3DO and Sega Master System
    Curiously, the Master System was not an underdog, but a major player in Brazil. It was the first 8-Bit console to be released here, and the only officially supported one for years. The famiclones, and later the NES itself, had a hard time competing against it.

Tec Toy, which holds SEGA's license here, still makes them to this day, although they don't release games anymore. It comes with Genesis six button pads, 131 built-in games, and no cartridge slot; the f%*$ers took out the cartridge slot from the Mega Drive too...
    Blowing on cartridges since 1987

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Quote Originally Posted by thom_m View Post
    Tec Toy, which holds SEGA's license here, still makes them to this day, although they don't release games anymore. It comes with Genesis six button pads, 131 built-in games, and no cartridge slot; the f%*$ers took out the cartridge slot from the Mega Drive too...
    We get things like that from time to time. It's called a "Plug-n-play." We have had the 2600, INTV, Colecovision, etc.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Most of my favorite systems fall into this category:

Neo Geo (all variations including pocket) - Damn great games, damn fine systems (AES, CD, Pocket), bad price points and save for the AES - bad marketing. Still, some of the most fun you'll ever have as a gamer can be found on these systems.

Saturn - the Dreamcast did WAY better in north america than the Saturn did, damn thing didn't have a chance really. Just as it was making headway, Sony comes in with a system $100 cheaper and nintendo announces their new 64-bit platform.

Then FFVII hit. Might as well just stuck a dagger in sega at that point, even with their ridiculous saturn marketing taken out of the equation.

Turbo Duo - I wish I still had my region modded one, no better SF2:CE port than the PC-Engine version... another system that Japan loved but the US couldn't care about.

-AB+

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMoniker View Post
    We get things like that from time to time. It's called a "Plug-n-play." We have had the 2600, INTV, Colecovision, etc.
    Yeah, but the funny thing is that, back here, the consoles are still sold legally, under the Sega license, using copyrighted names like "Master System" and "Mega Drive" (although they don't sport the the Sega logo anymore, I guess). You can even buy boxed, brand new six button pads from authorized repair shops, but they are made in ugly colors now, to fit the current products...

EDIT: We can also put our hands on this crazy thing here!

Now that you mentioned, we could really use other decent plug-n-play/famiclones 'round here, aside from the Sega consoles. All we can find is the Polystation, which sucks hard.

Well, getting back to the topic: Underdog or not, the SMS is not that cool of a console, anyway. It wouldn't figure on my list.
    Last edited by thom_m; 06-10-2008 at 08:32 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thom_m View Post
    Yeah, but the funny thing is that, back here, the consoles are still sold legally, under the Sega license, using copyrighted names like "Master System" and "Mega Drive" (although they don't sport the the Sega logo anymore, I guess). You can even buy boxed, brand new six button pads from authorized repair shops, but they are made in ugly colors now, to fit the current products...
    If they make pink 6-button pads, I want one. Seriously, let me know price and shipping.

-AB+

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

wow, I don't know what my favorite one is. So I'll just do this:

3DO: definately ahead of its time and has some of the best version of Super SF 2 Turbo, flashback, out of this world, Road Rash, The Need for Speed, Wolfenstien 3D, Wing Commander 3. Not to mention the fun original games it had like Captain Quazar, Killing Time, way of the warrior, Phoenix 3. Some people may not agree with these games, but I love them all.

Saturn: Didn't get the respect it deserved in the US. Great arcade ports, great RPGs, even had a few good FPSs. Definately a shame it didn't take off in the US.

Sega CD: it didn't only have FMV games on it, it had some awesome platformers and fighting games as well. Eternal Champions CD is my fav for Sega CD.

CDI, Jag, Virtual Boy, Turbo Grafx: while I currently own these I'm not as fond of only because I didn't own them when I was younger so I don't have as much of the memories as I did before about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by AB Positive View Post
    If they make pink 6-button pads, I want one. Seriously, let me know price and shipping.
    ABPositive, I just called my hometown's authorized shop. They told me that TEC TOY is really still making the pads, but they don't come boxed anymore. Instead, they send them on a plastic case (the guy wasn't very clear on this; it might be just some plastic wrapping or something).

He also told that, every time they order the pads, the factory sends only the white ones. As far as I know, the only other avaiable color would be blue, as the ones that come with the Master System.

Anyway, they cost 32 Reais (brazilian currency; 1 US dollar = 1,6257 Reais). I don't know about the shipping costs; I'll check with the national Mail service...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

On the handheld side it's Lynx.

On the console side I'll go with the Virtual Boy. The general weirdness of the thing is exactly why I love it. People like to rattle off about how it was Nintendo's lowest selling console, as well as how it makes their eyes hurt and blinds children. Well, fine, then, can I have your stuff?

Count me in the Dreamcast camp as well.

Insert Coin (Level 0) cosmicpsycho's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd have to go with the Turbo Grafx/Duo. Other than the diehard Turbo fans it seems people could care less about this great system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hrm... dang. Here I was hoping some wacked out model of genny might go pink, heh.

If you come across one, let me know

-AB+