Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrestling Games

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Wrestling Games

When I was younger I was totally into pro wrestling and stuff. I baught almost every game that came out for the n64. WWF and WCW titles. I recently played them and they are still pretty fun. Is this because I used to like wrestling or is it because the gameplay is pretty good. What is your guys' take on them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love em too. There is one tho that I love the most for some odd reason. "Pro Wrestling" for the Sega Master System. I dunno what it is. Probably that I was playing it back when I was all into the WWF. I think me and my best friend back then played that game before AND after Wrestlemania 2 or 3? Either way, feels like a long long time ago

Pac-Man (Level 10) Arqueologia_Digital's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like some wrestling games...but itīs not my favorite genre.
    I never forget Pro Wrestling for NES

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't like wrestling when I was a kid, but my new love is Def Jam Vendetta on the Cube. However, I like the hip-hop aspects better than the wrestling aspects. And the girlfights...mrrow!

I also own Smackdown on PS2 because it was cheap. However, it has nice arcade style gameplay.

I'll probably buy Ultimate Muscle for the 'Cube, because the show is so wacky...

Oh, and I have Legends of Wrestling for the Cube. It was also cheap, but I haven't really played it much.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Wrestling Games

Quote Originally Posted by RubbarDucklin
    When I was younger I was totally into pro wrestling and stuff. I baught almost every game that came out for the n64. WWF and WCW titles. I recently played them and they are still pretty fun. Is this because I used to like wrestling or is it because the gameplay is pretty good. What is your guys' take on them.
    My favorite 2D wrestling game is Fire Pro Wrestling G, a PS1 import developed by Human. It's filled with huge sticky gobs of Japanese text, but there are tons of translation FAQs available for it. Quite probably the deepest wrestling game ever made. The GBA versions of Fire Pro from bam! are also sweet.

On the 3D tip, I really liked the latest WWE game from THQ, despite the fact that said organization (and pro wrestling as a whole) is running on fumes. There's even talk of instituting a WWE "off-season," instead of the current nonstop TV and house shows, to try and revive public interest. My favorite wrestler, Lance Storm, has a great commentary about the pros and cons of an off-season on his website, http://www.stormwrestling.com.

-- Z.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

FirePro is the best series ever! It's lesser known because the series has only recently come to North America, on the GBA. But, the best one out right now is FirPro D for the Dreamcast, in my opinion. You can have the 8-player Royal Rumble in that one. However, the series is supposedly ending with the release of FirePro Z for the PS2 in June.

If you like wrestling, give it a try. FirePro D has kickboxers, guys from UFC, and wrestlers from all over the world. Plus, you can make your own wrestler too. The graphics aren't sweet, but the gameplay is amazing. One hit "Criticals" are awesome. But, the best thing that I think about it is that there are NO energy bars. This is the best way to play the game because you never know when you are going to get the pin, and you can comeback from anything. There's still health, but you just can't see it. I can't tell you the number of hours I've played Fire Pro. Once you've gone FirePro, you can't go back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like to pull out a wrestling game from time to time. One game that me and my bro could play for hours was Saturday Night Slam Masters on the snes. With all the Capcom characters it was great!

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My favorite NES Wrestling game was WCW Wrestling just because of Animal and Hawk. A wrestling title I picked up not long ago was Tag Team Wrestling for the NES but holy crap does that game suck. I also bought (and later sold) Super Fire Pro Wrestling for the Super Famicom. I like the realism and the characters, but I can't quite get the timing right so I lost interest. My current favorites are the AKI wrestling games on the N64.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Lately we've been playing Smackdown: Shut Your Mouth on PS2. We don't use the real wrestlers, save for a couple...we use our own created guys, based on stories written by us, characters from our friend Nick's old wrestling shindig, and people we know.

Today:
    Winston Churchill made his appearance to unite the Acolytes of Chaos, Joel, and Foodle Spanes against the might of Evil Lincoln's Cabinet and the Boogieman's Elite forces. Former MCWA wrestling tag partners, K-Wall and Automatic Caution, have been instituted as Lincoln's secret service against this new, british threat.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The AKI games for the N64 are probably my favorites, next to Fire Pro D on the dreamcast. I prefer the N64 ones only due to the fact that I can read the menus to make the CAWs. But to answer the original question, it's probably because the gameplay itself is so well done. Many people agree that the best US wrestling game is No Mercy for N64.

AKI, also made Def Jam Vendetta, for those that like the engine.
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The game(s) that have probably garnered the most hours of play for me are the Smackdown Series. I thought that #3 (Just Bring It) was the most poorly done. I recently had to sell my PS2 and Xbox to pay an unexpected bill, and I popped in the original Smackdown and it was still surprisingly fun.

I bought an N64 specifically for No Mercy, as I'd heard all the hype. I like the system, but after playing Smackdown, the characters all seem like they're moving through a thick sludge. However, I get used to it and enjoy that game immensely.

I can't believe no one has mentioned Tecmo World Wrestling on the NES! Tom Talker Rules!

Pro Wrestling on the NES was fun and a good retro-play now and then. Even better, I just created all of the Pro Wrestling characters on Smackdown 2: Know Your Role!

Shut Your Mouth (when I had it) was FAST. I usually just played the Royal Rumble or Survival matches. I played through Season twice and still didn't have everything unlocked.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In my eyes there are only two true wrestling games: Fire Pro D and Virtual Pro Wrestling 2. Out of those two, FPD is the definite favorite due to the sheer amount of characters and the "simple to learn, hard to master" gameplay...not to mention the greatest create a wrassler edit mode, i've ever encountred. Besides, there's nothing more satifying than beating the living crap outta the red and yellow Hogan inside of an electrified, exploding steel cage
    http://www.2d-x.com
    The best 2D and 2.5D video games.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

IMO, the Sega All Japan series of games is far too often overlooked. Certainly my favorite series of wrestling games. Not sure which of them is my favorite however. The Saturn game, All Japan Pro Wrestling featuring Virtua, is the most realistically paced of the series - it is the slowest. It is brought down a bit by the graphics (compared to the DC games), the movesets being a bit dated, and the horrible way they included the two VF characers.

The first DC game, All Japan Pro Wrestling 2: Giant Gram is probably a better game, with lots of enhancements, but the speed was increased a bit. A little faster than appropriate, but still OK. All Japan Pro Wrestling 3: Giant Gram 2000 provided loads of enhancements, but unfortunately the gameplay was sped up yet again, to the point where it was too fast (gee, kind of like the Dead or Alive series - the original, in the arcade, got the speed right. Starting with the PSX port and through the sequels, the play has been sped up, ruining it). GG2000 has a mode where you much re-enact famous matches in AJPW history, which is tremendously fun if you know the history.

For me, this series stands above the others simply due to the play mechanics. Though some have argued that the controls make it feel too arcade-y, I would say they strike the right balance between the too simplistic controls of most games (Fire Pro, VPW) and the arcade style. Once in a grapple, instead of just pushing a button and maybe a direction, you may need some timing or additional movements to do better moves. For example, once in a grapple, hit the one button to go to the back of your opponent. From there, a single button and move in some direction would perform a backdrop. But if you do a little more, you can turn it into a more effective "backu drop driiivaaaaah!!!" (as the excited announcer says).

That's where the Fire Pro series really falls short. As a wrestling fan the game is great fun. But as a gamer with no interest in wrestling, there's nothing there. The gameplay is so repetitive... grapple and do level 1 moves for 5 minutes, then level 2 moves for 5 minutes, then level 3 for a bit and pin. No strategy, nothing engaging in the controls, just mindless repetition. There's a ton to see and do in the game, but almost zero depth in the gameplay. I still really like the series (have a couple of the games), but it is grossly overrated. I was very disappointed when I first played a game in this highly hyped series. Of course, nowhere near as disappointed as when I got Touken Retsuden 4...

Among US games, the Aki N64 games are certainly the best of the bunch. The GBA FP shouldn't be overlooked, but almost everything else should be. The Smackdown games are abysmal, yet still leaps and bounds better than the Acclaim games. Haven't tried the Legends of Wrestling games, or the Def Jam games, and probably won't. I imagine my next wrestling game purchase will be the Kinnikuman GC game, or the KOC games.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess that I should have mentioned WHY I love the Smackdown games: They have a real "pick up and play" Arcade-style quality to them. I really like Smackdown 2's create a wrestler mode. But, when it's all said and done, I really play them for their arcade feel. I dislike sims, rpgs, and all of that stuff, simply because I have no time for them. I can't do marathon gaming sessions without sacrificing some other part of my adult life, so the few games I DO play are old school arcade games or the Smackdown Series. Then again, that's just me. I'm still amused by games like MegaMania on the 2600, or Demon Attack on the Intellivision, so it should come to no surprise that the lack of "depth" in the Smackdown Series doesn't bother me.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

WCW vs NWO World Tour was great for one reason, (well many reasons actually, along with Revenge, and No Mercy) but it had SABU!!!!! And if any of you are real wrestling fans, youll know why. Cant forget Saturday Night Slammasters for SNES. OH MY GOD! You could actually bring the table in the ring!!! Ahhh the memories....=)
    Mark
    Show your skillz! The Name That NES Tune contest is here! Check it out!
    http://www.classichighscores.com

The Current State of my NES Collection... Updated 3/16/03
    http://members.aol.com/rattnroll1984/nescollection.html

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Evil_Skrilla

WCW NWO world tour had Sabu?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yep, under a different name. If i had my n64 hooked up I could tell ya which he was. From what I was told, all the characters, from the other organzations where just renamed for the US. In japan, they were really New Japan, FMW, All Japan, Wings, etc. =)
    mark
    Show your skillz! The Name That NES Tune contest is here! Check it out!
    http://www.classichighscores.com

The Current State of my NES Collection... Updated 3/16/03
    http://members.aol.com/rattnroll1984/nescollection.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Can I get a "hell yeah!" for Star Man from Pro Wrestling (NES)? Man he kicked some ass...

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

My favorite 2D wrestling game is WWF Royal Rumble on SNES. Ah, Earthquake, we hardly knew ye.

My favorite 3D wrestling game is now Def Jam Vendetta, the successor to years of N64 greats like Wrestlemania 2000 and WWF No Mercy. I still need a little practice, I'm having some trouble getting past the 3-on-1 fight in the story mode.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have been thinking of getting Legends of Wrestling 2 for any platform, can anyone comment on this game please.

Thanks