Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Default The Wolf of the Battlefield:Commando 3

I got home and downloaded this after work: I didn't know much about it, other than I loved the first two(being Commando and Mercs), and my girlfriend has been wanting more games we can play together. I figure Capcom has been on a roll lately: what could go wrong?

I've only played the first two missions before going back to Ninja Gaiden II, but I like it so far. Backbone had something to do with it, which caused me some concern, but I haven't run into any crippling problems yet. There is some slowdown, which is weird since the graphics and AI are far from taxing. Oh well.

I'm not sure if I like the Cartoon Network meets Team Fortress 2 art style yet, though, and I haven't tried to play on Live yet. So far, I like it overall. What do you guys think?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Honestly, I'll be downloading this for the SF II beta. Is that available yet or is that something we have to wait for?

I will be downloading the game this weekend.
    Last edited by spoon; 06-12-2008 at 08:13 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I played the demo with the intention to buy the full version one of these days. From what little I played (the demo only lets you play the 1st level) it was a lot of fun. I'd agree the art style is bordering on lame, but this is probably due to the developer trying to appeal to teens/20's demographic. It's not really noticeable once you start playing anyway.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by spoon View Post
    Honestly, I'll be downloading this for the SF II beta. Is that available yet or is that something we have to wait for?

I will be downloading the game this weekend.
    Beta starts on the 25th, I believe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So did you download it for the PS3 or 360? I heard the PS3 version was released a week ago, so does anyone know of the 360 one is up on Live now?

EDIT: Backbone Entertainments involvement with the game is that they developed the entire thing. They're also the guys responsible for the upcoming 1942 remake.
    Last edited by Xexyz; 06-12-2008 at 10:39 PM.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The 360 version is out now, as well.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

Just downloaded and played the 360 version. Pretty cool. Not sure If I'll buy it or not (probably not) but it was fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

I have several problems with this game.

In the Game Over screen, it's asks if you want to continue. When you hit A, it sends you right back to the title screen.

There is massive slowdown in several sections.

The art style reminds me of the Powerpuff Girls, for some reason.

It's a decent shooter, but I think it was rushed. I honestly think I downloaded it for the SSF2THDR Beta.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

its alot of fun, I tried playig it online, but unfortuatnly people are completely retarded!, i joined a 3 way game and the other people just kept running around on the bottom of the screen shooting guys as they showed up without progressing at all..

played up to the point with the jeep on level 1 and they just didn't understand the concept of scrolling forward.

still a fun game but i'll stick to the 1player version ;-)

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I loved the first two(being Commando and Mercs),
    Wait, Mercs is the sequel to Commando? How's that? Ialways figured it was Bionic Commando.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pressing A to skip back to the title screen kind of makes sense in a way. With arcade to console ports, or in this case, a home arcade style game, when presented with the continue screen, a face button is usually mapped to spam the count down counter to 0, while Start is used to execute a continue.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick View Post
    Wait, Mercs is the sequel to Commando? How's that? Ialways figured it was Bionic Commando.

-Rob
    Bionic Commando both the Arcade and the NES games, are set in the same Capcom Commando universe, but are not really spiritual/top-down genre "sequels" to Commando.

I've read that apparently "Super Joe" from Commando is the driver in Speed Rumbler as well!

Strange stuff indeed, all very cool games.

On topic ... I downloaded Commando 3 last week, and while it's pretty easy on the standard settings, and kind of bland in terms of bells and whistles, for a $10 title, it's nicely polished and very solid.

Plays a LOT like Mercs, feels more like a sequel to that then anything else, which makes sense.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by Xexyz View Post
    So did you download it for the PS3 or 360? I heard the PS3 version was released a week ago, so does anyone know of the 360 one is up on Live now?

EDIT: Backbone Entertainments involvement with the game is that they developed the entire thing. They're also the guys responsible for the upcoming 1942 remake.
    I got it for Xbox. I had some Super Bucks left over from something or another. I think they're the same except for the Street Fighter II demo.

Why the Hell is there so much slowdown, though? it's not like it's pushing advanced graphics, AI or physics. It gets REALLY annoying in the last couple levels.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I really enjoy MERCS, so I am loving WOTB: C3. One thing I don't get though, and maybe I am just missing the secret areas... It seems like to powerup your gun, it takes FOREVER. This makes the first two levels very taxing. Now, there may be one or two Powerup Icons located in hidden areas I haven't found yet, but I remember seeing only one gun powerup in Level 1, and no gun powerups in Level 2..... Hmm.....

-GAC-
    #vbender

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

I went ahead and bought it. I suck at it though. Nice to get some achievements. Played online once already we made it to the mountains and died. Can't wait for the beta

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll be getting it shortly for a hands-on for Sega-16. We have an interview with the producer for next Tuesday as well!

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

I expected more.

It's like playing Assault Heroes when you're out of your vehicle, waiting for it to respawn. In THIS game sometimes you're in a vehicle - at which point it feels almost like Assault Heroes. Sorry, but this isn't good enough for the Commando series. Good game, sure. But stealing from a better XBox Live game... tsk, tsk, Capcom.

Overall review: it's OK but if you've played Assault Heroes THIS game will surely disappoint you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On the contrary, I found this game to be better than the Assult Heroes titles. I found Assault Heroes to be too slow moving, and Assault Heroes 2 didn't improve much on that aspect. Commando 3 has a fast pace to it, but overall, it still feels a bit hollow to me like the Assault Heroes titles. Backbone obviously took a lot of inspiration from Mercs when creating this game, but things like the cheesy flash art, drab 3D graphics, long drawn out levels, infrequent weapon power ups (seems like there's only 1 per stage which really sucks in 2 or 3 player mode), and that stupid isometric zoom out view (why couldn't they make it with a true top down view like the older ones?!) really take away from the arcade-like experience this game was supposed to have.

I hope the 1942 remake turns out better since Backbone Entertainment is also handling that one.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

The game actually crashed on me yesterday. Like, froze up and dumped me to the fucking dashboard. This was after I died a bunch on the last level because of slowdown and bullets popping in.

This 360 is less than two weeks old (and is my fourth 360 to date), and it ran Ninja Gaiden II just fine for three hours. A test of Lumines Live confirmed it was the game.

ATTENTION! I HEREBY COIN A NEW TERM FOR CAPCOM DOWNLOADABLE GAMES PRODUCED BY 3RD PARTY STUDIOS: BACKBONED.

As in: "I really wanted to like Commando 3, but it had been Backboned".

Here's hoping for 1942. I hope because I never learn.
    Last edited by G-Boobie; 06-17-2008 at 01:47 AM. Reason: Gosh durned HTML dun ain't right

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I played through the demo and its just okay. I bumped the difficulty up a notch and that kept the enemies coming and put more pressure on me but overall I didn't get that warm sense of "whee!" while playing. It kinda sucks that enemies can sneak up behind you and you sometimes can't scroll the screen back down to see/take care of them. In that situation I *did* find that if you could see where the baddies were popping from you can just lay down fire to wipe the enemy out before you even see them, racking up points for a while. That felt cheap.

I'll stick to Assault Heroes.