Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Conduit: Finally, a Wii game that looks interesting!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Default The Conduit: Finally, a Wii game that looks interesting!

These photos are looking pretty sweet. Almost Xbox 360 quality gfx!

http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/pho...onduit/858710/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    walrusmonger
    PSN
    walrusmonger

it looks good for a wii game, but at 480p max it still will look no better than an xbox game. hopefully it doesn't control poorly or give people headaches like red steel did.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've watched the trailer and High Voltage Software's Wii tech demo over on IGN Wii and I'm quite impressed. Hopefully we have another decent must-buy Wii game on our hands.

But yes, it is a shame the Wii only does 480p. At least if it did 720p it'd be able to stand it's ground for a while, considering most 360/PS3 games seem to only be 720p.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by walrusmonger View Post
    it looks good for a wii game, but at 480p max it still will look no better than an xbox game.
    I think I must be the only person left that couldn't care less about 480/720/1080.

I don't really notice a huge difference, or would really care if I could notice it.

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    I think I must be the only person left that couldn't care less about 480/720/1080.

I don't really notice a huge difference, or would really care if I could notice it.
    did you forget to put on your glasses?

i'm just kiddin ya.

honestly though, i don't see how someone couldn't see a diffrence. i even got a wow from my gf when she saw a game in hi-def and she is usually not so great with or doesn't care aless about those kinda things.

i will say when i first started playing COD4 in 720P i didn't really find it jaw draopping. then i went back and played some 480i stuff. after going back to COD4 after that i saw the diffrence

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know what 360 games you play, but that doesn't look anywhere near the quality of Xbox 360 graphics. Interesting game, to be sure, but let's not kid ourselves here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Quote Originally Posted by unwinddesign View Post
    I don't know what 360 games you play, but that doesn't look anywhere near the quality of Xbox 360 graphics. Interesting game, to be sure, but let's not kid ourselves here.
    I said 'almost'.

It looks damn good for a Wii game, though.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy View Post
    These photos are looking pretty sweet. Almost Xbox 360 quality gfx!

http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/pho...onduit/858710/
    Careful now! We don't want to wake the children. They tend to be cranky if they don't get their naps in.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, not the only person Then again, I still have SD TV's (I can't even get progressive on these things), but family obligations are still more important than replacing a TV right now. Even if I did, I doubt the res would matter much to me anyways...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I assume the subject title only pertains to graphics and not gameplay, right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I must be the only person left that couldn't care less about 480/720/1080.
    As of right now, I agree. The best looking 1080p games still don't look as realistic as a real-life 480i TV show. Why waste all of the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3's processing power on the extra resolution when it could be used to make amazing, 99% real looking 480i/480p games instead? Besides, the extra resolution usually results in lower frame rates.

What would gamers rather have, 1080p games that still look fake and "gamey" or 480i games that look as realistic as a TV show?
    Last edited by Rob2600; 06-14-2008 at 11:24 AM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

you probably still have a shitty 27" tube from the 90s, thats why.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    walrusmonger
    PSN
    walrusmonger

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    As of right now, I agree. The best looking 1080p games still don't look as realistic as a real-life 480i TV show. Why waste all of the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3's processing power on the extra resolution when it could be used to make amazing, 99% real looking 480i/480p games instead? Besides, the extra resolution usually results in lower frame rates.

What would gamers rather have, 1080p games that still look fake and "gamey" or 480i games that look as realistic as a TV show?
    480i looks like crap on a HDTV. some wii games look OK if they're widescreen, but a lot of them also look like crap. hell, red steel was the ONLY game to ever make me feel motion sickness while playing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by walrusmonger View Post
    480i looks like crap on a HDTV. some wii games look OK if they're widescreen, but a lot of them also look like crap.
    I think it depends on the HDTV. I assume cheaper HDTVs have inferior upscaling chips, while expensive HDTVs have better upscaling chips. It makes a really big difference.

Anyway, under ideal conditions, would you rather play a 1080p game that looks "video gamey" and tends to run choppy or a 480p game that looks as realistic as a standard-definition TV show and maintains a smooth frame rate?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    walrusmonger
    PSN
    walrusmonger

I think it depends on the HDTV. I assume cheaper HDTVs have inferior upscaling chips, while expensive HDTVs have better upscaling chips. It makes a really big difference.

Anyway, under ideal conditions, would you rather play a 1080p game that looks "video gamey" and tends to run choppy or a 480p game that looks as realistic as a standard-definition TV show and maintains a smooth frame rate?

I have a "rather nice" aquos (as in, not the highest end model but not the lowest) and while they're not as good as sony for upscaling, they're not bad. The only Wii game that looked ok was Mario Galaxy, but it was still a little "meh" because of the resolution. I also didn't play tons of Wii stuff and sold my system twice now, but what can you do. I do know that 480i will look like crap on just about any HDTV though, but I'm basing this as a comparing to 480i on SDTV vs HDTV and also how horrible it looks in comparison to native 720p/1080i/1080p stuff.

You cant compare a recorded video to 3D generated game worlds. But if you're playing in 480p that real looking world is going to look like ass on an HDTV. Any game system that could produce photo realism at 480p would be able to do a decent job producing awesome graphics at 1080p, but not the other way around.

The truth is, once you go HD you don't want to go back... unless you have a thing for light gun games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not usually one to jump into one of these mudslinging matches, but, I gotta agree with Poofta! and Walrus.

I also have an Aquos, a 52 inch that was the highest end model at the time. I have the Wii running at 480p and the 360 and PS3 running HDMI whatever the highest resolution is available for the game.

Unless you are a pirate and blind in one eye, or maybe both eyes and have two peg legs and peg arms, No Wii game comes close to either of those systems when it comes to graphics or how smooth they run. I think in time there will be, but, it's probably a year or two off.

Both systems have games that run like shit. Both have games that look beautiful. Not all the games look "fakey" or "gamey" on the two higher end systems. Also, this could be a result of the art direction or lighting chosen. I can say that some of the character models in certain games have a plastic look to them.

I commend the big N for what they did and the chance they took. Lets not fool ourselves though.........

I was truly blown away the first time I played an HD system in full HD. makes you never want to go to a friends house and play that has a shitty TV.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

False dilemma.

Strawberry (Level 2) Wolfrider31's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

no, I'm with you there I don't care about high def either.

And this looksok but it is an Fps so I'll reserve judgement until I play the thing
    Order Pier Solar at www.piersolar.com

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To be honest, the graphics look rather blocky. The 360/PS3 basically CANNOT allow that in their games. I agree with a few of the previous statements: it will look like an Xbox game.

Just look at the chairs in the 4th picture! blocks with very poor texturing. In picture 14, it LOOKS decent until you really look closely. There is a sincere lack of environmental awe in the air. The oxygen tank looking things look barely credible, and the gun looks poorly designed.

To be fair, it is in the development stages, so improvements *could* occur. But it seems like they won't considering some of the praise it has gotten. What I'm trying to say is this: it would be folly to compare this to a 360 game or a PS3 game. The Wii is the most graphically limited console this GEN, as we all know. Welcome back to the Xbox everybody.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Soviet Conscript View Post
    did you forget to put on your glasses?

i'm just kiddin ya.

honestly though, i don't see how someone couldn't see a diffrence.
    I watched my first blue-ray at my inlaws the other day. I can honestly say I don't see it.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!