Thread: DC vs PS2 vs Xbox - neat comparison video

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default DC vs PS2 vs Xbox - neat comparison video

Here is a neat video comparing Dead or Alive 2 on Dreamcast vs. PS2 vs. Xbox.

I really enjoyed it and thought I'd pass it along. It'd German but that doesn't matter.

BTW, the Dreamcast version looks awesome

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Turntablist
    PSN
    DJ_Daishi

yeah, I remember the ps2 version had those dreaded jaggies.
    -DJ

My EPIC "For Sale" Thread: CLICKY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    walrusmonger
    PSN
    walrusmonger

The Dreamcast version looks good, I remember being blown away when I first got it so many years ago (I just started high school). The PS2 version came out when nobody did a great job on any games, it would look a hell of a lot cleaner and run smoother if it came out even a year after it did. The Xbox version came out towards the end of the system's life cycle.

This video is like comparing apples to oranges for this reason. It'd be one thing if all 3 systems came out at the same time and all got the game at the same time, but then we all know it'd look best on xbox. Despite the DC version looking better than the PS2 version, the PS2 version was a sloppy port- not a good port on easily port-able hardware like the DC, and not a totally remade game like the xbox version.

DOA2 certainly was fun, shame there will never be a DOA 5, or if there is, it won't be the same without the little Japanese rock star with bad skin and a thing for Aerosmith.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Turntablist
    PSN
    DJ_Daishi

Quote Originally Posted by walrusmonger View Post
    DOA2 certainly was fun, shame there will never be a DOA 5, or if there is, it won't be the same without the little Japanese rock star with bad skin and a thing for Aerosmith.
    lol, he always acted like he created all of team ninja's games single handedly
    Last edited by DJ Daishi; 06-15-2008 at 07:09 AM.
    -DJ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No comparison to the Naomi version? Would only be right to compare the source :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Turntablist
    PSN
    DJ_Daishi

Quote Originally Posted by Borman View Post
    No comparison to the Naomi version? Would only be right to compare the source :P
    the DC version and the Naomi version are pretty much identical.
    -DJ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    walrusmonger
    PSN
    walrusmonger

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Daishi View Post
    lol, he always acted like he created all of team ninja's game single handedly
    Of course we all know he didn't, but I haven't been disappointed with any of the games he's "put out." He has to have been doing something right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Surprisingly, the Xbox version looked like it was running a slower 30fps while the PS2 and DC versions were at a steady, smooth, 60fps.

But the Xbox had very small lighting and shadow improvements.

Trying to compare the textures on the PS2 version and DC version was hard because of the low res on youtube. But the DC version held up quite nice, if you ask me..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    modest9797

I like vivid and colorful games (except in survival/horror games) hello dreamcast.
    Xbox Live : modest9797
    Games I Want
    PS1: 2% PS2: 0%
    Xbox: 42% GC: 18%

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

after going and playing all three Id have to honestly say id pick the ps2 version, im not a huge fan of the xbox controller, the DC version IMO probably has better textures then the ps2, this is to be expected with its higher VRAM but in my opinion the ps2 version does run smoother and has better light sources, not that there is much in it though.

/me goes off to cuddle his DC
    zomg I have a sig

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, the Dreamcast has better graphics than most PS2 games released within its first several years of life.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy View Post
    Surprisingly, the Xbox version looked like it was running a slower 30fps while the PS2 and DC versions were at a steady, smooth, 60fps.
    If that's how it looks on the youtube video, then the youtube is misleading. The xbox version has the best graphics, period. It should be, it was released towards the end of the xbox's lifespan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

That was a neat comparison but as with most Youtube videos the resolution is too low and the window is to small for me to get any kind of idea of what the "differences" were.

I have the DC and the Xbox version, although I havent played the Xbox version yet. The DC version looks, sounds, and plays good enough for me. So I have never had a reason to play the other versions.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Insert Coin (Level 0) james42519's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith Storm View Post
    That was a neat comparison but as with most Youtube videos the resolution is too low and the window is to small for me to get any kind of idea of what the "differences" were.

I have the DC and the Xbox version, although I havent played the Xbox version yet. The DC version looks, sounds, and plays good enough for me. So I have never had a reason to play the other versions.
    you do relies that you can make the videos full screen by clicking on the button by the volume. thought you should know that. too bad the video has been removed. sorry for bringing back old topic. i need to find a good comparison of dc and ps2 ports somewhere. i am curious how the ports turned out and i want to prove to some people that the dreamcast had better graphics too >.>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thats lame the video is gone for some reason.
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by james42519 View Post
    you do relies that you can make the videos full screen by clicking on the button by the volume. thought you should know that. too bad the video has been removed. sorry for bringing back old topic. i need to find a good comparison of dc and ps2 ports somewhere. i am curious how the ports turned out and i want to prove to some people that the dreamcast had better graphics too >.>
    Yeah. I know you can make the window full screen but it doesn't up the resolution and thats where the problem is for me. Thanks for the heads up though.

Youtube resolution is horrible for comparing games like this and trying to see the finer details. Sure, you can make the window bigger but then it just makes flaws and the low resolution that much more noticeable. It just doesn't allow for the details to be shown clearly.

Although I love comparison videos and look forward to them when I come across them.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Insert Coin (Level 0) james42519's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith Storm View Post
    Yeah. I know you can make the window full screen but it doesn't up the resolution and thats where the problem is for me. Thanks for the heads up though.

Youtube resolution is horrible for comparing games like this and trying to see the finer details. Sure, you can make the window bigger but then it just makes flaws and the low resolution that much more noticeable. It just doesn't allow for the details to be shown clearly.

Although I love comparison videos and look forward to them when I come across them.
    guess that's true. i noticed that some videos do have a option for high quality now but i have no idea why only some videos have it though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Crummy video comparisons are a shitty way to compare different versions of Dead or Alive 2 anyway. Read this site if you'd like to find out the differences between each release (there's 6 different versions not counting the Xbox release!). For what it's worth, I never really had trouble with the controls in the PS2 versions of the game.

At least with Dead or Alive there were only four versions to compare (Model 2 / Saturn / PS1 / ZN-1). The PS1 release (Dead or Alive+) was pretty hella awesome.