Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icarusX360
    PSN
    titanzguard

Default Atari Lynx - A button not working

Need some help...

I recently bought an Atari Lynx from a flea market. The guy told me it worked great, just needed batteries. Well at the time I did not have any batteries to test it so I went ahead and bought it. Today I install some new AA batteries and load up 1 of the 3 games I got with the system. It turns on, game loads up, GREAT!!! UNTIL... I am playing Batman returns and notice I cannot punch. I continue to hit the A button but it does not respond. I figured maybe it was the game so I switched it with another game -STUN Runner. Never heard of the game but the great part is at the start screen it asks you to press A or B to start game. I start hitting A - nothing happens. If I hit B it imediately loads the game. At this point I am pissed. I start to google to see if this is a known issue but I cannot find anything about bad A buttons. So what I did was try to flip the screen and see if the other A button works. I figured heck ill just live with it being goofy. I flipped the screen and still nothing. So both A buttons do not work. Does anyone have any idea what the prob might be OR how to fix it. I did notice one thing. While playing Batman Returns when I hit the OPTION 1 button while playing it switches my action from punch to some kind of weapon. As soon as I hit that button Batman starts throwing this weapon like as if a button is stuck. He continues to throw the item until its all out. Like I said, seems like the button is stuck but when its set to punch he doesnt do anything. I checked around the button and its not stuck, or doesnt seem to be. Also this is the Lynx II model.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by titanzguard; 06-13-2008 at 08:48 PM.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Sounds like there's something between the rubber and the contact point, or it's just plain damaged.

LYNX is an awesome portable. I'd say that it's worth opening it up and cleaning the rubber and the metal contact area underneath, check for any corrosion or damage while you're in there. Not sure if it's rescuable if it is rusted, corroded, or if anything leaked in there (like battery acid ... since the LYNX batteries reside over the buttons, it's possible) but it's worth trying....nothing to lose.

OR you could play it lefty if the bottom buttons work, just use the screen-flip mode.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icarusX360
    PSN
    titanzguard

Ya, I tried flipping and the bottom A button did not work either. Do u happen to have a HOW-TO on opening the system up and checking it out?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by titanzguard View Post
    Ya, I tried flipping and the bottom A button did not work either. Do u happen to have a HOW-TO on opening the system up and checking it out?
    Nope, I don't have a repair guide ... but the fact that BOTH A buttons don't work is worrying, and probably signs of problems above your basic cleaning issue.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icarusX360
    PSN
    titanzguard

Ya I think u may be right. It really irritates me cause I have been wanting one of these systems since I was in 5th grade and I thought I was getting an awesome deal. I guess Ill have to wait and see if any one else has any ideas. The only part that has me curious is the fact that when I play that batman game and click option 1 he starts shooting his weapon non stop, like something is stuck. I have no idea at this point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Well man, you literally got little to lose by opening it up and giving it the visual once-over.

I would imagine it's just standard philips head screws.

If you do get it running, I advise picking up the following games :

Electrocop
    Blue Lightning
    Rampart
    Xenophobe
    Road Blasters
    Xybots
    Wings
    Battle Wheels