Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Default Two SNES problems w/ cart and AC adapter port

1. I found a SNES cartridge, Super Mario World, which does not work. I cleaned the contacts, but still nothing. If the battery in that cartridge is dead, will that stop the cartridge from working?

2. Bigger problem is with one of my SNES's, the AC Adapter port. The plastic "male" end inside the port broke off and now the power won't come on. That is really weird because I wouldn't think a piece of plastic would affect power transfer between metal contacts?

What do you all think? Thanks!
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Strawberry (Level 2) mario2butts's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    2. Bigger problem is with one of my SNES's, the AC Adapter port. The plastic "male" end inside the port broke off and now the power won't come on. That is really weird because I wouldn't think a piece of plastic would affect power transfer between metal contacts?

What do you all think? Thanks!
    I had this exact same problem with my SNES. There's a metal piece at the bottom of the AC adapter port that needs to touch the metal "barrel" of the AC adapter plug. The plastic piece that broke off aligns these so they connect. All you need to do is push the plug "down" so it touches again. The easiest way to do this is to fold up a piece of cardboard and shove it between the plug and the part of the case that hangs above it. It's worked for me for years. Hope that makes sense... if you need clarification or a picture let me know.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by mario2butts View Post
    I had this exact same problem with my SNES. There's a metal piece at the bottom of the AC adapter port that needs to touch the metal "barrel" of the AC adapter plug. The plastic piece that broke off aligns these so they connect. All you need to do is push the plug "down" so it touches again. The easiest way to do this is to fold up a piece of cardboard and shove it between the plug and the part of the case that hangs above it. It's worked for me for years. Hope that makes sense... if you need clarification or a picture let me know.
    Well that weird thing is that the small plastic piece, while it broke out of the port, is still there. And if I center it and put the plug in, it still doesn't work. A picture would be helpful, Thanks.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Strawberry (Level 2) mario2butts's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hopefully this will clarify. As you can see, (though it's a little blurry) the plastic piece is completely missing:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The port can be replaced, with a good donor port, and some desoldering/soldering.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by mario2butts View Post
    Hopefully this will clarify. As you can see, (though it's a little blurry) the plastic piece is completely missing:

That did not work, I wonder if the internals broke as well? I put the broken piece back in and lined it up exactly where it should be and still nothing. As for replacing, I do have another SNES I could use it from. But I can't get one of the screws out of this one, and my GameBit is somewhat stripped. That and I really really stink at soldering. I may just chuck this one and go back to my original SNES, yellowed and all.