Thread: free PS3 for signing up to random stuff

Pretzel (Level 4) monkeychemist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default free PS3 for signing up to random stuff

Hey everyone,

Well, I am getting desperate for a PS3. Problem is, I do not have the cash to shell out for it. So...I was looking online for those PS3 giveaways but I am scared that they are scams. Has anyone in DP successfully gotten something like that? Any experiences good or bad to share?

Thank you!

Strawberry (Level 2) Nitrosport's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From what I understand, there is one site that is suppost to be legit. I saw it on the news the other day but don't remember what it was. Supposedly it works as long as you register with one sponser. You have to make sure you cancel the subscription before a certain time so they wont charge you.

It seems like a huge headache so I never tried it. Most of the sites are obvious scams though.
    Last edited by Nitrosport; 06-16-2008 at 04:11 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I did the free iPod one a while back. What you basically have to do is get 5 or 6 people to sign up for these free trial offers on their site (like Blockbuster.com, Ancestory.com, etc, etc.) and they send you your stuff once all the requirements are met.

Most of them are legit, but it's not easy to get random strangers to sign up for these offers. What I had to do was bribe people with stuff from my Trade pile.

I did mine thru Gratis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gratis_Internet

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

I must commend you for actually -asking- about this! I thought this was going to be a spam post or something.

Truth be told, I've been curious about these sorts of offers as well, but not living in the US kinda gets in the way. :P I'm about $4 away from a $25 Gamestop gift card through eRewards, though, so...
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't worry, I like this place too much to wreck my membership by spamming haha.

wow you have gamestop on your eRewards? I have like 40 bucks there now and nothing really interesting to get. It's all airline miles and magazine subscriptions.

Well, I don't like going the route of having friends sign up because that will be the quickest way to loose some haha. I found a few sites that ask you to sign up for 2 silver, 2 gold and 6 platinum offers. That seems manageable. I signed up under bogus info to look at what you have to sign up for and it seems to be all in the $5-15 range. If I can get this PS3 under $100 then I'll be happy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Almost all of them are semi legit, if you manage to fulfill the requirements you get the item. Of course its in their best interest to make it nigh impossible to actually fulfill the requirements. But instead of stonewalling you off the bat they let you do a few easy things first so they get some benefit and you just get frustrated and spammed forever for trying.

My advice would be to start a get rich quick infomercial to raise money for a ps3 youll have an easier time creating and marketing a product to fun this than you will redeeming your "FREE!" playstation 3.
    For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle.

DP Feedback Thread
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ight=mrsparkle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by monkeychemist View Post
    Don't worry, I like this place too much to wreck my membership by spamming haha.

wow you have gamestop on your eRewards? I have like 40 bucks there now and nothing really interesting to get. It's all airline miles and magazine subscriptions.

Well, I don't like going the route of having friends sign up because that will be the quickest way to loose some haha. I found a few sites that ask you to sign up for 2 silver, 2 gold and 6 platinum offers. That seems manageable. I signed up under bogus info to look at what you have to sign up for and it seems to be all in the $5-15 range. If I can get this PS3 under $100 then I'll be happy.
    Yeah, I have Gamestop. A friend of mine already got the $25 gift card, and he asked me to order something for him a few weeks ago, so I -know- it's legit.

Now if only I could get four more freakin' bucks so I could ditch that thing...
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    Yeah, I have Gamestop. A friend of mine already got the $25 gift card, and he asked me to order something for him a few weeks ago, so I -know- it's legit.

Now if only I could get four more freakin' bucks so I could ditch that thing...

If I could trade I would give you 4 eRewards bucks... My rewards are a bit weak. I have subscribed to a couple of magazines and redeemed restaurants $5 off certificates. eRewards is good because it is free and legit but it is by invitation only. I have NO idea how I got the invite... actually, it might have been through a free EGM subscription that someone tip me off on this forum.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Every single one of those sites are pyramid schemes.

All of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramid_scheme

Is it impossible to get the items that they're offering? No.

Is the amount of work worth the monitary value of the item offered? Absolutely not.

Of course I use "work" in the loosest possible sense of the word ... it's really just doing exponential pyramid scamming for the site owners.

The number of sites you must sign up for that include free TRIAL periods for services that if not monitored and cancelled become PAY services (Everybody remembers Columbia House 12 CDs for a penny, right? Ever try to CANCEL one of those offers?) and/or the number of OTHER people you must coax into joining and doing the same becomes painfully obvious almost immediately after signing up. And once you've done one or two of the trial offers, even if you quit, the site owner reaps ALL of the financial gains/benefits.

If you really want a PS3 ... there are other legitimate ways of earning money ... namely a job.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    If you really want a PS3 ... there are other legitimate ways of earning money ... namely a job.
    Or plasma! You got blood? BAM!!! You've got a Playstation 3!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I very much agree with your idea. However, I go to school full time, do 20 hours of research, TA 20 hours and work on the side about 16 hours a week. I have to say that I pretty tapped out in that aspect. We need it to pay for the mortgage and living expenses for the family. My wife is doing pretty much the same thing. It would be VERY difficult for me to justify $600... well $660 with a game...that is why I am resorting to these tactics. I can always sell $100 worth of video games, so if that + a lot of hassle buys me a PS3 than I am all for it. haha

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by monkeychemist View Post
    I very much agree with your idea. However, I go to school full time, do 20 hours of research, TA 20 hours and work on the side about 16 hours a week. I have to say that I pretty tapped out in that aspect. We need it to pay for the mortgage and living expenses for the family. My wife is doing pretty much the same thing. It would be VERY difficult for me to justify $600... well $660 with a game...that is why I am resorting to these tactics. I can always sell $100 worth of video games, so if that + a lot of hassle buys me a PS3 than I am all for it. haha
    With all of those stresses, I'm surprised that you'd want to have to go through the daily trouble of finding places (to pester people into signing up for a website and trial period offers) that won't ban you for having links on threads about stuff like that.

There are other free web ventures that can actually net you cash.

Are you creative? Open a free CafePress store and make clever t-shirts.

Good at finding bargains/rare items? Garage sale/thrift store shop and do some eBay selling.

Seriously ... you sound too smart to be wasting your time on one of those other sites.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by DefaultGen; 03-12-2023 at 07:00 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SloshyCape0

Yeah man, seriously. I remember when my mom (Housewife for life-no job,coupon queen) first got the internet. All these "pop-ups" I think she signed up for all of them. Pretty soon she was spamming everyone she knew and didn't know just to get something for "free". Not only that but she wasn't exactly computer savy and her credit cards starting getting billed without her understanding why.

Well you don't give out your personal information without something bad happening in my experience. Anyway's after about 6 months of that my Father threw the computer in the trash.

Don't really know if it's related to your situation or not, but it's as close as I can communicate to you that...

Nothings free.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

There are other free web ventures that can actually net you cash.

Are you creative? Open a free CafePress store and make clever t-shirts.

Good at finding bargains/rare items? Garage sale/thrift store shop and do some eBay selling.

Seriously ... you sound too smart to be wasting your time on one of those other sites.
    But Cafepress sites get ripped off ALL THE TIME. It really sucks. :\

On the other hand, I'm the perfect example of an eBay seller that makes a living outta flea market purchases.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yea, I guess ebay or gamegavel seems like the way of getting this. I just have to make it a point to check out garage sales. The flea markets around here are overpriced. Any tips on finding good garage sales? It seems like people sell everything but video games here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

I don't just sell games. Whenever I find something that catches my attention I look up info on it, and if it's worth buying for reselling, I do so.

But I've been at this for more than three years. A lot of sellers here know me and give me discounts... it's not easy at first, but just give it time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

haha, I sent emails to several sites asking if the program includes needing to refer people and all of the emails....ALL were failure notices. haha what a joke

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ThoughtBomb

I can't vouch for any of those afformentioned sites and such, however I'd like to say that I was very iffy about coughing up for a PS3 myself, which I've had for about a month now. You can nab a PS3 at around the 400 mark like I did, if you're willing to buy used, via ebay or amazon; any legit company. Dunno if you spent your recession check yet, but that could be a very big chunk of it off the price! Plus you need to ask yourself if backward compatibility is of any importance to you. You may be able to find a 20gb PS3 out there for probably even less that 400! Research and research some more, save some money here and there, 20 here 10 there, so forth and so on, eventually you'll have one.
    Oh no! The truck have started to move!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DustnF
    PSN
    Alfador

I did the iPod one like 4 years ago kinda like the silver gold platinum offer thing you mentioned, they didn't send me an iPod but I got a check for $400 instead, so I was very happy, especially since all the offers only cost me about $25.