Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Shotmastarich
    PSN
    Radiantsvgun

Wow, if I spent money on a freeloader, I'd be pissed.
    www.famicomshop.com -best place for famicom stuff. Run by a DP member.
    Radiant's Ongoing Ebay Auctions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GnawRadar

Quote Originally Posted by RadiantSvgun View Post
    Wow, if I spent money on a freeloader, I'd be pissed.
    Me too. Drexel923 had a couple for sale at Next Level Videogames but I passed on one and now I am glad I did. I wasn't intending to import for the Wii anytime soon, but I had a feeling that this would happen eventually.

Casual Collector Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Shotmastarich
    PSN
    Radiantsvgun

Quote Originally Posted by GnawRadar View Post
    Me too. Drexel923 had a couple for sale at Next Level Videogames but I passed on one and now I am glad I did. I wasn't intending to import for the Wii anytime soon, but I had a feeling that this would happen eventually.
    Its got to be worse for Drexel. He probably won't be able to move those at all!

Hey, there is always target practice.
    www.famicomshop.com -best place for famicom stuff. Run by a DP member.
    Radiant's Ongoing Ebay Auctions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GnawRadar

Nah, he only ordered a couple of them and they are already gone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also thought this might happen...I only ordered 2 and sold 1 of those over a month ago. Unfortunately I guess the other one will now be a nice coaster.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GnawRadar

Nah, he only ordered a couple of them and they are already gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drexel923 View Post
    I also thought this might happen...I only ordered 2 and sold 1 of those over a month ago. Unfortunately I guess the other one will now be a nice coaster.
    Well I guess I was wrong.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Drexel923 View Post
    Keep it stored for a couple of years then sell it as a collector's item? :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

but now we have two topics on it...lol

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118176
    All my meseta if you can guess what CMTZ stands for.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ever since the first Xbox came out and Microsoft started giving people's consoles the axe on Live it's become a gamble to use any gray market peripherals or exploits. Anyone who wants to invest in Freeloaders or mod chips these days has to be aware that the purchase comes with a risk. This is just going to be a continuing trend. Nintendo/Sony/MS will put an end to the most popular tools. The creators of these tools will come up with a stealth tool or somehow find a new "in." Nintendo/Sony/MS will follow that up with another update. I wouldn't be surprised if the people who want to keep using these freeloaders will have to buy 4 or 5 of them during the lifespan of the console.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

homebrew isnt really broken. you just cant use the exploit from twilight princess anymore. however if you already installed the homebrew channel, you can still install and run homebrew. (the homebrew channel forgoes the need for the TP bug)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can't you just not update your wii? I don't see what the great benefit to 3.3 is anyway. The ability to drag and drop your miis into the parade, who gives a shit.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What are the odds that consoles with the Homebrew Channel (or other non-Nintendo sponsored things) will eventually be attacked by Nintendo either by deleting it from the system, rendering it useless, or worse, bricking the Wii? Is it something that's as likely as fixing an exploit like they did here?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    What are the odds that consoles with the Homebrew Channel (or other non-Nintendo sponsored things) will eventually be attacked by Nintendo either by deleting it from the system, rendering it useless, or worse, bricking the Wii? Is it something that's as likely as fixing an exploit like they did here?

I *highly* doubt Nintendo will brick your Wii with an update. They want your money remember

At best, a future update could simply remove the Homebrew Channel and possibly check your system for illegal VC/Wiiware and remove those as well.

As for now, the 3.3 update removes the ability to use the Twilight Hack and trucha signed discs (Freeloader). If you already have the Homebrew Channel installed it will still work after the update, but you had better not remove it or there would be no way of a re-install.....since you cannot use the hack anymore which makes it all possible in the first place.

I am still on 3.2. I removed my wireless connection and am using my Wii without any internet connectivity. I have some great stuff running on it homebrew wise...enough to warrant purchasing another Wii need be down the road to use for updating/online/etc. I love the HB channel and the various emulators (which all run GREAT) enough not to want to loose the ability.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OakWoody make a point. What about those Wii that were never updated? I have a Wii probably a 3.1 version. Why couldn't those Wiis use the Freeloader or whatnot for imports?

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatgonzo View Post
    OakWoody make a point. What about those Wii that were never updated? I have a Wii probably a 3.1 version. Why couldn't those Wiis use the Freeloader or whatnot for imports?
    But they can make the games update the firmware before letting you play them. I remember that some PSP titles did this, but I'm not sure if Wii titles do this too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

They do. Galaxy does I believe. Whatever the next big nintendo title will have this update or a further one.

edit: is there anything worth homebrewing for right now? Emulators? I don't wanna play them on a classic controller or cube. Unless maybe there's a good n64 one, I don't think I'd enjoy that too much. Playing Genesis downloads on the classic is painful. They really should have thought that controller out a bit more in my opinion. I heard there was some software DVD player, again, why would i want to use it for that? I've got 5 other things that can play DVDs and I'd rather not waste wear on my game-playing drive to watch them.
    Last edited by Cryomancer; 06-18-2008 at 02:35 AM.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As I figure it, you're going to need to go one of two routes for simplicities sake. Buy a second Wii for homebrew and keep it off-line and running on the earliest firmware version possible to use while the hardware is alive and active at market. Or, just wait until the end of the hardwares lifecycle and use the latest circumvention method after Nintendo stops bothering with the updates and such. Kind of obvious, I admit, but I'm taking the latter as my plan.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    As I figure it, you're going to need to go one of two routes for simplicities sake. Buy a second Wii for homebrew and keep it off-line and running on the earliest firmware version possible to use while the hardware is alive and active at market. Or, just wait until the end of the hardwares lifecycle and use the latest circumvention method after Nintendo stops bothering with the updates and such. Kind of obvious, I admit, but I'm taking the latter as my plan.
    Why not just install the Homebrew Channel before updating? This update doesn't remove it or disable it at all.

Even if Nintendo comes out with an update later thatd does kill the Homebrew Channel, you'd be able to re-install it within a couple days if you wanted to since that's about how long it takes for hackers to circumvent the fix.

From what I've read (see HackMii.com), Wii hackers have already found a new exploit that works with the 3.3 firmware update. Apparently they're exploiting a bug in the updated firmware itself and sticking with Twilight Princess as the trojan rather than just using an entirely new game with an exploit similar in operation to the original Twilight Princess, though that route would have also been possible. Seems a bit more inflammatory, but that's part of the hacking game, I guess.

...word is bondage...

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

This is very reminiscent of the early PSP exploit situation.

Updates specifically crafted to kill exploits, games rolling out with new firmware attached ...

If the current state of PSP firmware hacking is any indication of where this will lead ... my guess is that we'll see the hacking community stay one step behind Nintendo with every new firware (rolling out new hacks shortly after each firmware update) and we'll see totally custom Wii firmware within a year or so, probably even less time than that.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"