Thread: "Collecting" the Current Gen Systems

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default "Collecting" the Current Gen Systems

I was updating my list of PSP games yesterday and realized I have passed the 200 game mark for the system. I laughingly refer to my PSP game acquisitions as "adding another one to the pile", but I really do like having these games in my possession. Obviously, to end up with more than 200 PSP games, you can't be all that discriminating in terms of what you're buying, and the truth is I'll buy pretty much any PSP game I see for less than $20 if I don't already own it. And, of course, it's a given that I haven't played all of these titles to completion; there are a good many that haven't spent more than 10 minutes in a PSP since I acquired them. Still, I want to have them in that warm, acquisitive place inside that drives my "collector's urge", and it occurred to me last night that I haven't felt that way about any gaming platform in a very long time...

There have been two other systems that I remember feeling this way about before - the Atari Lynx and the Turbografx-16/TurboExpress - and despite the fact that I had significantly lesser means in those days (1989-1993), I managed to gather more than 80 Lynx games and well over 100 TG-16 titles before I felt compelled to sell my collection in deference to my (then) wife who insisted I "grow up" now that I was a father and husband. I've lived to regret that decision, of course, but have managed to replace my TurboExpress and Lynx (and, for that matter, my less-than-sympathetic first wife ).

Now, looking at my PSP collection, I can't help but notice some parallels with my Lynx/TE days. Like the Lynx and TurboExpress, the Playstation Portable is the most powerful gaming handheld available this gen, and the PSP is something of an underdog system, at least in comparison with the market leading Nintendo DS, though it has admittedly performed exponentially better than either the Lynx or TE managed in their race against the original Game Boy. Then there's the game media themselves: PSP's UMD is a unique and interesting format, as were the comparatively advanced (for their day) VG Cards and HuCards that the Lynx and TG-16 used respectively. And like the Lynx and Turbografx-16, the PSP's game library is largely perceived (wrongly, imho) to consist of a few gems and an abundance of sub-standard fair...

I think the comparisons run pretty strong, and I'm beginning to believe there is a healthy dose of nostalgia tinging my PSP acquisition impulse. But is that "collecting"? Not that there's anything wrong with it, of course! It's just... um... interesting...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Wow i didn't know there WERE 200 psp games yet lol. I tend to only collect for the previous generation and older as current gen is too expensive to collect for me. I look at it this way $50 seems like alot to pay for a game for $50 a great number of the old greats can be had. If i was serious about the monetary aspect id probably pick up games i thought were likely to be pricey down the road but i really consider myself more of a video game librarian or some such.

umd is a cool format but then again i always loved minidisc and this is really just the logical successor to that format.
    For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle.

DP Feedback Thread
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ight=mrsparkle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If it helps, I'm collecting WIi games and am somewhere near the 80 - 90 games, and that's all 100% retail complete copies. I'm in the same $20 or under boat but usually I try and go for $15 or less. Tons of great games in the lot too; for some reason, too many people focus on the BOLD Games rather than see all the great games that are already $20 and under (Zack and Wiki, Mercury Meltdown, Pinball Hall of Fame, Elebits, etc).

It's weird. I never thought I'd collect a "current gen" system so feverishly, but truth be told is I love that little white box bastard more than any other system I've owned, to a degree even the PlayStation 1.

Here's to a complete collection!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

So were you as keen to see the new Dungeon Explorer as I was?

Anyways, I know what you are saying, I've been there, but I am beginning to move past where you are by forcing myself to realize that the platform does not matter; just the games. Every console is worthwhile to collect for and play. The PSP is under-rated by many, but it is fantastic, but the DS is as good or better, just different.

Actually I think the Turbo Grafx Express can almost hold it own against either system...

The Lynx on the other hand is a great rainy day option...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Well, I look at my 360 collection as being less titles I will have to buy in the future, 255 titles for that system for me so far including some imports.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

Just hit 80 games in my 360 "collection", though I wouldn't really say that I'm collecting them. Just games that I want to play or find cheap. <10 on each PS3 and Wii.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree. I also love the 20 below price point combined with the discount card. I love the PSP. I find it to be a remarkable handheld. I sit and wait for the price drop then wham.

Overall I am very happy with my collection I think I am at 150. I love the ds but the psp just offers a different experience to me. Sorta like beer and liquor. I can drink beer all the time but a nice long island ice tea is great ever now and then. Cheapest psp game I bought was the alien syndrome $7.00. MY PSP biggest suprise was how fast syphon filter Logans Shadow dropped to 17.99.
    Last edited by gepeto; 06-18-2008 at 09:09 PM.
    neo geo system

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Current collecting is so hard to really gauge because of costs. It's a constant battle against the pricedrop and availibility. Do you jump on this game now, or wait to find it used, or for the dump bin drop.

In my PS2 struggle of days past I used to just buy at release... It helped me to get LOTS of games, but I was dumping way more into most of them than I needed to. Now I just buy what I feel like, when I feel like for the system (which isn't all that often), but I do buy DS stuff quite heavily. That system has me thinking, will I see this again in 2 weeks, can I just hold on for used, is it going to price drop quickly? I end up drawing certain lines with publishers and titles and hope for the best. My guesstimation seems to have worked well for the most part so far.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, the only one I'm buying feverishly for the moment is the PS2 since some of the harder to find late release titles won't be available at retail after a while.

I won't dare get started with trying to collect games for the DS. Even if I had the money, I know I wouldn't have the space.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Strawberry (Level 2) murdoc rose's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrSparkle View Post
    Wow i didn't know there WERE 200 psp games yet lol. I tend to only collect for the previous generation and older as current gen is too expensive to collect for me. I look at it this way $50 seems like alot to pay for a game for $50 a great number of the old greats can be had. If i was serious about the monetary aspect id probably pick up games i thought were likely to be pricey down the road but i really consider myself more of a video game librarian or some such.
    was going to say almost the same thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm pretty hardcore collecter on current-gen systems. like NES said I really don't buy them to collect it's more of what I like to play so I pick it up, so far have 65 360, 31 PS3 and 45 Wii games, guess if we are counting DS & PSP well I own triple digits for each of them..(215 PSP & 157 DS)...all my last gen console collections are triple digits and beyond....but still do collect for them when I see something that I missed...really PS2 & Xbox because I'm well over 400+ for both consoles, just hit 150 on my GameCube.

Proud owner of a PS3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, PSP and 3DS

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

In a way I was doing this for the last-gen at the time (2003-2007), seeing as I now have a complete Cube collection. My rules were not that complicated:

1) Anything with an outer box, bonus extras, special controller etc, get at launch or while it's still sold as new on the shelf cos it's gonna be much harder to acquire fully complete down the line.

2) Anything by major publishers is more likely to be easier to acquire later on, and probably stick around subject to price drops. Conversely get anything Atlus on release cos it's be gone in a flash usually.

3) I noticed price cycles in the US during my infrequent visits. After 3-4 months new titles normally get marked down in price but can still be found new condition along with some used. After that it's the law of diminishing returns to get new. Time to bust out the discount cards and grab games. I found that a game marked down to $20 new would often be $15 or $17 used, to which you get a discount on that also. That was anywhere in the 3-9 months bracket after it came out. Of course some stuff never did price drop a lot (Nintendo's own games?!).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well to be honest I find collecting for current gen cheaper then retro here!, in australia snes collecting is pretty tough and expensive with even the most common game fetching over $25, its bullshit.

With collecting second hand and buying of the EvilBay i find it cheaper.

90+ for 360
    around 30 ps3
    30ish Wii

last gen i ended upwith 200+ xbox and 600+ PS2 100ish GCN
    Last edited by Emuaust; 06-20-2008 at 02:57 AM.
    zomg I have a sig

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by videogameking26 View Post
    I'm pretty hardcore collecter on current-gen systems. like NES said I really don't buy them to collect it's more of what I like to play so I pick it up, so far have 65 360, 31 PS3 and 45 Wii games, guess if we are counting DS & PSP well I own triple digits for each of them..(215 PSP & 157 DS)...all my last gen console collections are triple digits and beyond....but still do collect for them when I see something that I missed...really PS2 & Xbox because I'm well over 400+ for both consoles, just hit 150 on my GameCube.

VGK, I'm movin' in!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

Quote Originally Posted by s1lence View Post
    Well, I look at my 360 collection as being less titles I will have to buy in the future, 255 titles for that system for me so far including some imports.
    I'm afraid you've reached your limit.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116933