Thread: atari coax to av plug

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default atari coax to av plug

Does anyone have or know of a multi-box that allows connecting systems like Atari, Coleco, Intellivision with the standard COAX(i think this is what it's called) to out put AV to current tv's?

thanks

Strawberry (Level 2) JunkTheMagicDragon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    shaftinator84

you can pipe it through an old vcr. input over coax, output over composite.

as for connecting multiple consoles, i've thought about trying a coax combiner and sending that through the vcr, but i'm not sure one of those would do the trick.

haven't been able to find a dedicated coax switchbox like the ones made for composite. might be able to make one from scratch, if you've got the electrical knowhow and the time on your hands.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

Switches that convert A/V inputs to RF/Coaxial are easy to come by, but going the other way AFAIK there's no such animal. But you're not without hope.

Let's clarify some terms, though: When unmodified, the output connector on the end of an Atari or other older system is usually called an RCA connector and outputs an RF signal. What you'll want to do is convert this to coaxial output; easily and cheaply done by slapping one of these...

...on the end.

Then, assuming you are in fact trying to hook an older game system to a television, get a hold of a coaxial switchbox, which will allow you to toggle between your cable/antenna feed and the actual game unit.

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What you're lookinf for is called an RF demodulator. They do make them, though they're mostly for professional use, so they're quite expensive, though also quite well made. In the end a $5 VCR from a thrift store might be the best solution.

search for "demodulator" on eBay and you'll see some of what's out there.

THIS ONE would be pretty nice if you didn't have to buy 10 at a time and they didn't come out to $76 each.

...word is bondage...

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pantechnicon View Post
    Switches that convert A/V inputs to RF/Coaxial are easy to come by, but going the other way AFAIK there's no such animal. But you're not without hope.

Let's clarify some terms, though: When unmodified, the output connector on the end of an Atari or other older system is usually called an RCA connector and outputs an RF signal. What you'll want to do is convert this to coaxial output; easily and cheaply done by slapping one of these...

...on the end.

Then, assuming you are in fact trying to hook an older game system to a television, get a hold of a coaxial switchbox, which will allow you to toggle between your cable/antenna feed and the actual game unit.
    I second Pantechnicon on this one. I bought one of those adators and installed it on my tv. Then I would simply connect each one of my classic systems when I got the chance to play. In most cases, I had a clearer picture than when I used an old RF switch box. I picked mine up from Radio Shack for less than $5 IIRC.
    Keep It Stinky, Baby

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm....

Given the price of a demodulator you would be better served having your systems modded.

I have tried a couple of Rf combiners (they didn't work). I have tried VCR's...they worked for some systems and not for others. The oldest ones did not work through a VCR...could be the VCR.

I have some sort of defunct cable/satellite box that has Rf in with composite out (essentially a demodulator) that I bought off ebay a couple of years ago. It works great.

I have not been able to find an Rf switch for more than three systems so I currently have three of them chained together...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddychester View Post
    I second Pantechnicon on this one. I bought one of those adators and installed it on my tv. Then I would simply connect each one of my classic systems when I got the chance to play. In most cases, I had a clearer picture than when I used an old RF switch box. I picked mine up from Radio Shack for less than $5 IIRC.
    If you have more than one system that needs one of those adapters, plug them all into a normal RCA-style switchbox to the same port (video in, for example). Then run a cable from the video-out port to your TV using the adapter.