Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: What was the name of your childhood arcade?

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We had a TILT at our local mall down here. I remember them having some great games there too, such as Die Hard Arcade and Tekken Tag Tournament. They closed but not a few years after the new millennium.

There's also the movie theater, Hollywood 20, which always has a few. They had Aerofighters and Metal Slug many years back. They've also had Arctic Thunder, Area 51, and Tekken 2 many years back. Right now, all they have is crap like those racing games based on The Fast and the Furious.

The best one we have is King Richard's. They have had awesome games over the year such as Virtual On: Cyber Troopers, The Simpsons Arcade, Caveman Ninja, and X-Men Arcade. They've always been the largest in town with around 15 arcade machines. It was always fun joining some random dude in The Simpsons Arcade.

The most nostalgic was a privately owned pizza parlor called Pizza Factory. The arcade there was literally just a hole in the wall with four machines. In the beginning, it was Street Fighter 2, Vs. Super Mario Bros., some Golf game with a trackball I'll never remember (or care), and a pinball machine. They later changed some of those out for games like The Simpsons Arcade and X-Men Arcade, as well as some 3D space racer which may have been S.T.U.N. Runner.

Yeah, Simpsons and X-Men were common here. Gotta love 'em.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Vegas Amusement
    Circuit Circus
    Lester's

Those were the ones that I use to frequent. The first two I went to more often than the last one as it was not very close to where I use to live. Also, if I needed a game fix there were at least one game in ever convenience store near by. This was during the 1980s.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There was an Aladdin's Castle at the mall, but I didn't really start going there until I was an older teenager to play Mortal Kombat 2, Killer Instinct, and Tekken.

Before that, the arcade of choice was called Funway Freeway. It was at a strip mall and was amazing. Many hours were spent there playing games like Xenophobe, Xybots, Pac-Land, Discs of Tron, and Rampage. I went there for many of my birthdays. They didn't have parties, but if it was your birthday, you got a special deal on a huge sack of tokens.

That reminds me of how annoyed I was when arcades started switching from quarters to tokens.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Undercover cops

UNDERCOVER COPS

You can try this check in online arcade game collections, I have a 2.44 G collections, free shipping all in the game hall before the game, should have you want
    Last edited by hoger; 03-12-2012 at 08:07 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) VideoGameRescue's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Rebel Minja

Putt putt golf & games. It's called adventure landing now.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Scotterpop's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VideoGameRescue View Post
    Putt putt golf & games. It's called adventure landing now.
    Ah yes, I remember that Putt Putt fondly, enjoying many a game of 4-player Ninja Turtles there after school. And if you lived in Jax long enough, you may also remember Hobby Oasis at Neptune Beach. That's where my love affair with video games began. Every Sunday was 8 tokens for a dollar day so me and my buddy & neighbor Jason Lacey would walk down to this arcade and spend our afternoons (and all our pocket change) there. This would have been around '82 or '83. After my family moved away from the beaches I found myself hitting the arcades in Regency Mall: Aladdin's Castle and Game Emporium (mid to late '80s). Man, those were good times! In the nineties Mountasia was the coolest arcade in town, another Putt Putt style mini-golf/arcade spot. I reeeeally miss that one.
    Death to Videodrome! Long live the new flesh!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

Quote Originally Posted by hoger View Post
    UNDERCOVER COPS

You can try this check in online arcade game collections, I have a 2.44 G collections, free shipping all in the game hall before the game, should have you want
    I...wait, what?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to go to Fun Factory in the Independence Mall near Kansas City a ton as a kid. Since I was pretty young, I spent most of my time playing stuff like Skee-Ball and basketball for tickets. When I got older, I started moving more into the actual arcade itself. My favorite games were Virtual-On and Virtua Racing. I also loved playing Gunblade N.Y. when I got the chance. That massive machine gun rumbled so fiercely it'd leave your hands numb!

Fun Factory also had the full Virtua Racing sit-down cabinet, which absolutely blew my mind. I could barely play the game since I was so young, but damn if it wasn't amazing sitting in that car. Virtua Racing still remains one of my favorite racing games to this day.

I also went to Cool Crest on occasion for birthday parties and such. I played Spinjammers and other assorted Neo-Geo games there when I wasn't playing putt putt.

There is one other place I'm thinking of that I played Outrunners at, but the name isn't coming to me. It might have been Family Golf Park, but I'm not sure. I do remember that there was both a putt putt and traditional golf course, including a driving range. Playing Outrunners there after a round of putt putt was another great Sega arcade experience of mine.

If anyone still lives in the Independence area, I'm curious to know if Fun Factory is still in business. The last time I was there was in 2002 while visiting my grandparents. I wasn't able to find much on the internet, so I'm assuming it was shut down around the mid to late 2000's.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dgdgagdae View Post
    I...wait, what?
    Spam.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"Giggles" at the washington mall in washington, PA

played alot of my favorite games there and even had my birthday party there once. my reletive owned the pizzia shop right across from it as well so it was always nice to stop by and grab a slice of pizzia after some arcade gaming

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Starport at the local mall. My dad would take me once a week. He would park himself in front of Out Run and I'd wander aimlessly back and forth between every game for 2 hours lol. Starport closed when I was probably 8 or so though so from that point on the arcade at Putt Putt became my local choice.
    Currently attempting to complete my Genesis collection! Always looking for hard to find complete games! Send me a PM
    Please feel free to follow my collecting blog here! http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/

Insert Coin (Level 0) Badhornet's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Rocky J's in San Antonio. TX
    The 8 Bit Wonder

Follow me on Twitter: Ataritexas