Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: N64 Sin And Punishment

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default N64 Sin And Punishment

Ok, so I bought Sin and Punishment on Ebay for the N64 (import) based on the thoughts and reviews from some members here, and that I am a big Treasure fan. I just got ahold of Bangai-O for the N64, and while I think the DC version might be slightly better, this game still really kicks ass! So how is this Sin and Punishment game? I hear it is sort of like Cabal or Space Harrier. How are the graphics and sound? Even more important, how is the gameplay and controls? I'd like to hear some about the game before it arrives

BTW: I have been looking for more info on Bangai-O on the net (for the n64) and I find very little on it. It's pretty easy to play the game even tho it is a Japanese import, but is there any place I can find a translation of the options menus?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's a lot like Panzer Dragoon IMO. Great game. If you DO end up hating it....I have a friend that needs a spare. Also, out of curiosity, what did you pay for it? I got mine for $25 mint complete, but I've seen it going for as high as $75 lately!

And..if you don't love Bangai-o for N64, I'd take it off your hands
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just imagine a game that takes a Cabal-like perspective and turns it inside out from every possible angle. In Sin and Punishment, you'll find forward-scrolling levels similar to Panzer Dragoon, side-view stages, boss encounters that resemble old-school shooters, and one level where you ride a piece of an aircraft carrier across the waters. It's an amazing game.

And because it's an amazing Treasure game, there won't be a sequel. Darn.
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

I have nothing to add, except those are some nice finds. I kept holding out on Sin and Punishment b/c it seemed like a US release was just around the corner...last time I make that mistake.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wrong
    I have nothing to add, except those are some nice finds. I kept holding out on Sin and Punishment b/c it seemed like a US release was just around the corner...last time I make that mistake.

It WAS right around the corner...but NOA said no, we don't want it here. They were SO close to a US release. Hell, most all of the game is in English with Japanese subs!

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I kept holding out on Sin and Punishment b/c it seemed like a US release was just around the corner...last time I make that mistake
    Ditto. And now I can't find it for any sort of decent price at all. Unless I get lucky, you can probably add this as number three on the list of treasure games I will never own, preceded by Radiant Silvergun and Alien Soldier.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WiseSalesman
    I kept holding out on Sin and Punishment b/c it seemed like a US release was just around the corner...last time I make that mistake
    Ditto. And now I can't find it for any sort of decent price at all. Unless I get lucky, you can probably add this as number three on the list of treasure games I will never own, preceded by Radiant Silvergun and Alien Soldier.
    Alien Soldier is actually not THAT spendy in Europe I'm told....but then, I DID pay $105 for mine, and another $35 for the convertor to play it.... x_x

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I paid $75 for Bangai-O boxed complete with a N64 adapter to play it as well. For Sin and Punishment boxed complete I paid $55. You can probably get it cheaper, but I used a BIN on it from a seller right in the USA (same with Bangai-O) and it's just easier, cheaper and quicker to get the game this way in my opinion...as opposed to winning it from a Japanese seller. All in all, I'm pretty happy with the purchase. $55 is what I would have spent for the game had it come to the US anyway!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords
    It's a lot like Panzer Dragoon IMO. Great game. If you DO end up hating it....I have a friend that needs a spare. Also, out of curiosity, what did you pay for it? I got mine for $25 mint complete, but I've seen it going for as high as $75 lately!

And..if you don't love Bangai-o for N64, I'd take it off your hands
    Nah, I'll keep Bangai-O. I love this game I have always been a fan of shooters, and this one is just awesome. YOu can still get it however, there are two on ebay as I speak!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I paid $75 for Bangai-O boxed complete with a N64 adapter to play it as well.
    What kind of adapter? I was under the impression that any modifications needed to play japanese games on a us N64 could be performed with a soldering iron or pair of pliers without even opening the case.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I paid $75 for Bangai-O boxed complete with a N64 adapter to play it as well.
    What kind of adapter? I was under the impression that any modifications needed to play japanese games on a us N64 could be performed with a soldering iron or pair of pliers without even opening the case.
    Yeah, you could ruin your N64 internally and perform the mod, or use an adapter. This one is made by Blaze...called the SFX 64. A simple adapter that plugs into the N64 and the game cart plugs into that. I like this better, as not only am I not modding my N64, but I can take this to a friends house and play the game on their N64 as well. Here is the link to the auction I won just to show you the pic of it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=27195

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default !

Fro what I understand, the N64 cart adaptor is just a simple pass-through device. If you look at the base of a US cart and compare it to that of a japanese cart, you'll see a subtle differance in the "notches" on the bottom of the cart. These notches line up with cut-outs in the N64... it's just a simple hardware differance. You can hack away just a bit on the N64 and get any cart to fit without any welding. You won't see any sign of the job externally.

I LOVE Sin & Punishment... especially the portion where you're flying around on the chunk of wreckage up, down, and all around the big gunship. I'm amazed at what the N64 can do in the hands of the right developer. This may be one of the most visually impressive N64 games I've ever seen.

Bangai-O is also a great deal of fun, but in a different way. The N64 original is actuualy better than the Dreamcast port in terms of gameplay (the graphics are better on the DC, of course.) They changed a few subtle yet important details in the gameplay, and the N64 wins. Did I read somewhere that both the N64 and DC games were produced in limited quantires?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yup, I hacked out those tabs with a knife tp play Sin and Punishment. Works fine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If we're just talkin' rarity, you'd have a much harder time getting Yu Yu Hakusho (MD) and Rakugaki Showtime (PSX) than Radiant or S&P, methinks.

Pricewise, they're all pretty high save for S&P.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I forgot about Yu Yu Hakusho....probably because I'm not all that interested in it. But, yes, at one point the goal WAS to own everything developed by treasure, but...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm kind of working on that at the moment. Not really very smart of me -- I don't like to play many Treasure games -- but I've already got JPN Alien Soldier, Silvergun, N64 Bangaioh, both JPN Ikarugas, S&P, and most American releases, so I'm already pretty far in. :/

That said, Yu Yu Hakusho is probably their least interesting 16-bit title for me. I tried it briefly in an emu and it just didn't seem terribly interesting. I'd say the rather lukewarmly regarded Rakugaki is probably next on my hit list.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: !

Quote Originally Posted by Atari7800
    Fro what I understand, the N64 cart adaptor is just a simple pass-through device. If you look at the base of a US cart and compare it to that of a japanese cart, you'll see a subtle differance in the "notches" on the bottom of the cart. These notches line up with cut-outs in the N64... it's just a simple hardware differance. You can hack away just a bit on the N64 and get any cart to fit without any welding. You won't see any sign of the job externally.

I LOVE Sin & Punishment... especially the portion where you're flying around on the chunk of wreckage up, down, and all around the big gunship. I'm amazed at what the N64 can do in the hands of the right developer. This may be one of the most visually impressive N64 games I've ever seen.

Bangai-O is also a great deal of fun, but in a different way. The N64 original is actuualy better than the Dreamcast port in terms of gameplay (the graphics are better on the DC, of course.) They changed a few subtle yet important details in the gameplay, and the N64 wins. Did I read somewhere that both the N64 and DC games were produced in limited quantires?
    I don't think the DC version was released in limited quantities, as there are so many copies floating around. But the N64 version is said to have made only 10,000 copies...and only released in Japan of course.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Guess I need the 64 version of Bangai-o then

So far for Treasure, I have most of their US releases (sold Stretch Panic..wanted to love it...but couldn't!). I have Silhouette Mirage, Dynamite Headdy, Gunstar Heroes, all the Contras and Castlevanias (said to be some Treasure there), Guardian Heroes, Light Crusader, and Bangai-O. I also broke down and bought a Euro Alien Soldier ($105...OW!)...worthwhile for the Engrish alone, and an import DC Ikaruga, as well as S&P!

I played Radiant Silvergun, and honestly, I didn't like it. I'm not about to spend $150+ on a shmup that I had a lukewarm reaction to, that's for sure. As for Yu Yu Hakusho and Rakugaki, I don't really know what I think there. I do want the McDonald's game they did. Am I missing any others? I think there may be more. I'll definitely be checking out the new Wario game by Treasure along with Gradius V.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Off the top of my head, you're missing...
    Guardian Heroes (Sat)
    Buster's Bad Dream (GBA, Europe only atm)
    Silpheed: The Lost Planet (PS2, Treasure helped a bit to make this shite game)
    Mischief Makers (N64)
    Hajime no Ippo (GBA, supposedly neat-o JPN boxing game)

Light Crusader gets a lot more flak than it deserves, I think. What I've played of it (before an apparent bug stopped me) was pretty enjoyable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BenT
    Off the top of my head, you're missing...
    Guardian Heroes (Sat)
    Buster's Bad Dream (GBA, Europe only atm)
    Silpheed: The Lost Planet (PS2, Treasure helped a bit to make this shite game)
    Mischief Makers (N64)
    Hajime no Ippo (GBA, supposedly neat-o JPN boxing game)

Light Crusader gets a lot more flak than it deserves, I think. What I've played of it (before an apparent bug stopped me) was pretty enjoyable.
    Hmmmm....I have Guardian Heroes and I forgot that they worked on Silpheed, which I also have. But Silpheed WAS a Game Arts game with Treasure help, not a straight Treasure game.....and I LIKED it!

Never heard of Buster's Bad Dream though....and I saw stuff about Hajime no Ippo on Treasure's Japan site (http://www.treasure-inc.co.jp/index01.html) but I don't know that I'll bother to buy it. I'm not much for sports games, even if it IS Treasure. Do still need a mint complete Mischief Makers tho! Yeah...and I liked Light Crusader too...it's werid, and not STUNNING, but it's not bad..reminds me of Landstalker kinda.