Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Versions of Early Final Fantasy Games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Best Versions of Early Final Fantasy Games?

So, I dig the FF series, but mostly from 1 - 6, as I've dabbled in/completed I, IV, V, VI, VII, IX, X, XII...and I preferred the older ones (one through six).

Now, I played FFV awhile ago on emulator - translated SFC rom and all that, and it was good fun. For FFVI, I got the Advance version as the PS version didn't seem to include as much extra stuff, and I was very satisfied.

Now, they DS remade III and are going to give us IV here in the States soon, so I should probably pick those up, but I'm unsure about them - is it better to experience them in their original top-down 2D style, or should I go for the more modern approach? That, and should I play FFV or wait to see if it's going to be "enhanced remade" as well? Of course, I want to do the whole early series, so I & II are important, but I'm not sure if I want Dawn of Souls (GBA) or the other compilations.

Lots of versions, lots of questions. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    JCinc421

I picked up FFIII for DS when it came out and was quite dissapointed actually. It just didn't feel the same, it seemed a hell of a lot more boring than the actual and it couldn't keep my attention for crap. I believe I played for about 7-8 hours and that was enough for me...I believe I sold it on GameTZ a few months back.
    As for the IV remake I may pick it up and give it it's own shot...but I'm a little worried about doing so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ahhhh don't encourage them, don't encourage them! If you buy the stupid remakes they'll only make more :P

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally I say play the originals all the way. If for some reason you can't, then the Playstation anthologies are a good second bet. The Gameboy Advance and Nintendo DS remakes though.. .well admittedly I've only played Dawn of Souls but if that was a sign of things to come, I'm not missing much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was going to buy FF 2 or 3 from gamereproductions some time soon. Which one of these would you guys suggest?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i had heard FFIII's DS remake got mixed reviews, but i kinda figured that from FF I - III it might be better to check out remakes as they're a bit boring in original form (i'm also doing the DQ/DW series and dragon warrior I is TEDIOUS if it's not the remade one on SFC)

again it seemed like VI advance was the same game as the original but with a bit more, and i could grind while bored in stats class as it was a handheld...so i was thinking about getting IV advance. but i didn't know what people thought of the 3D DS remakes....i also did like V a lot, just not sure if it was enough to fully replay it - and as there's no DS remake on the horizon (yet) id' probably get the GBA version...

i'm looking forward to playing IV either way, since i loved culex's battle theme in SMRPG...and yeah i know of the whole remake cash-in but for someone who wasn't around for the originals, it's not a bad thing.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by DefaultGen; 03-12-2023 at 07:00 PM.

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i didn't like the look of the 3d remakes. just ugly, but i generally prefer 2d anyways.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

i've been playing the ds version of 4 for weeks now and its amazingly close to the orignal, with alot of newer stuff added to it, and beleive it or not its HARDER then the orignial japanese version (not the us snes release but the original sfc version) i'm not a big fan of 3d graphcis and all, but its a very enjoyable experience to play through and i'm enjoying every minute of replaying one of my favroate games of all times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Quote Originally Posted by FantasiaWHT View Post
    Ahhhh don't encourage them, don't encourage them! If you buy the stupid remakes they'll only make more :P
    Yeah but in theory eventually they'll run out and be forced to remake FFVII on the PS3... in theory.

Back OT, another vote for the GBA versions here.

Strawberry (Level 2) guitargary75's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

FFIII on snes was my favorite. However, the original will always hold a special place in my heart.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Having played the NES FFI and Dawn of Souls FFI on GBA, I personally liked the original NES version MUCH better.

Sure the GBA version has lots of perks like great graphics, the music was enhanced (I loved it), and tons of extra stuff from the rest of the FF series. But in adding all the extra stuff it seems thay had to re-balance the core game. Some spells that I found crucial in the NES version were pointless in the GBA remake.

All the things they enhanced and added were awesome but as far as the CORE game, I perfer the NES version..
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Today I did pick up FFV Advance because, well, it was there and I had the resources - was going to get DoS (loose) but FFV-A was new and not much more. It will be my first time playing a remake after (years after) playing the original (or translated original rom)...

FFIV, I'm still not sure about. Without things like the ATB and other developments made later on in the series, I'm not sure that the original will hold my interest as easily as some newer version might. Also, if FFI/II on NES/FC require anything like the grinding in DW1, then it's remake town I'm heading to (which is where I went to play DW1, the SFC remake...but I'm repeating myself). That, and the whole "when targeted enemy x disappears, your character helplessly slashes at empty space" mechanic is intolerable. It's part of why I never finished Lufia I (though II is fantastic and fixes that problem).

I guess there's a few things that just take getting used to after the comforts of starting later on in the series (like opening a menu to talk to someone or use stairs)...Remakes take care of that, but if it's not close enough to the original experience, then...I'd rather stay uncomfortable I guess. (In regards to your comment, Wraith Storm).

I'm going to look more into the DS versions for III and IV and see if it really alters the look and feel of Final Fantasy; part of the reason I like simple 16-bit sprites is so they can't lame up the character design. That, and block-by-block walking/grinding is something I'm already used to.

I'm rambling, as usual. Again, thanks for the feedback.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by onReload View Post
    Without things like the ATB and other developments made later on in the series, I'm not sure that the original will hold my interest as easily as some newer version might. Also, if FFI/II on NES/FC require anything like the grinding in DW1, then it's remake town I'm heading to (which is where I went to play DW1, the SFC remake...but I'm repeating myself). That, and the whole "when targeted enemy x disappears, your character helplessly slashes at empty space" mechanic is intolerable.
    The NES Final Fantasy had a bit of level grinding but not as bad as Dragon Warrior 1 on the NES (I haven't played the SFC remake).

As far as the battle system...well...The GBA Dawn of Souls fixes the "attacking dead enemies space". However I always liked that programming flaw. I thought it added more strategy to the battles. You really had to think about what character should attack what so you didn't accidentally waste a characters turn on a spot where there was no longer an enemy.

The original FF also had a really cool Dungeons and Dragons level based magic system. I loved it! The GBA remake changed it to a more traditional MP based magic system.

But it sounds like you might enjoy the GBA remake a bit more. It fixed the battle system problems(I liked the problems however), has a more traditional magic system (I missed the DnD inspired system), and also has a selectable Easy or Hard mode (The NES version only has the equivilent of Hard mode).

Whichever you choose I hope you enjoy it
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Soviet Conscript View Post
    i didn't like the look of the 3d remakes. just ugly, but i generally prefer 2d anyways.
    There are no 3D remakes of FF1-6. They're all in 2D.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

3 and 4 both have 3d remakes...

and the ATB system IS in part 4, its the first game to have it.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For me, FF1 and FF2 are unplayably slow.
    So what you should do is play the PS1 remake of 1+2 (like dawn of souls but doesn't suck), then the original version of 3 - 6.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Volcanon View Post
    For me, FF1 and FF2 are unplayably slow.
    So what you should do is play the PS1 remake of 1+2 (like dawn of souls but doesn't suck), then the original version of 3 - 6.
    Um, the PS1 versions play much much slower than either the original or the GBA remake because of the annoying load times (which aren't long, but given the large number of random fights, even short pauses really stretch the game out)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gatchaman17

How are the PSP versions of 1 and 2?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzwing256 View Post
    3 and 4 both have 3d remakes...
    That's news to me. The only remakes I had heard of had better graphics but were still 2D top-view games like the originals.