Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Best Versions of Early Final Fantasy Games?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

1 & 2 : psp, by far
    3: you really only have 2 choices, the DS or the famicom translate
    4: id say gba but psx aint bad (or the ds remake)
    5: gba i think is your only choice
    6: gba (not a fan of the load times on psx)

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    I challenge your assertion, sir. Yes, you can find people telling you about levistones, and you can find people talking about civilizations that became a desert. (Actually, I think the person who mentions that might be talking about an entirely different desert.) But I challenge you to tell me who you can talk to learn that after you get the levistone you're supposed to wander into this unmarked, undistinguished desert.
    Go talk to everyone in Elfland after you have the Floater. Challenge ended. I win.

Yeah. Don't know which person it is any longer, but I know that's where it's told. It's been quite awhile since I've talked to anyone in FF that you get an item from or need to give an item to or actually need to talk to. Except the old men at Crescent Lake. I always forget which one gives you the Canoe, somewhere on the bottom half.

*edit*

Well. I decided I'd load up my character which is at the end of the game. Went back to Elfland and found the elf who tells you about the Floater. Looks like after the elf talks about the Floater never changes what he says again. I don't see how it's hard to find. There's only about five towns, two castles, and a dwarf cave that you can explore without the airship. None have very many people. Coneria, Coneria Castle, Provoka, Elfland, Elfland Castle, Melmond, Crescent Lake, and Dwarf Cave.

Last edited by kupomogli; 10-20-2009 at 02:00 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

but.................now the challenge isn't a challenge because they don't have to explore to find the guy anymore

but see that does prove that if you explore and talk to everyone , youll find what you need.

I mean what if you were in the party of Light Warriors. You'd have no Gamefaqs to help you out!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

The NES and PSone versions are the ONLY way to play Final Fantasy 1. I don't understand why everyone likes the GBA and PSP remakes so much.

Granted they are very admirable ports. Excellent updated visuals, beautifully remastered score and extra content galore, but when they touched the magic system is where they ruined the game for me. The D&D style magic system of the original NES outing was and still is one of the most unique and defining features of the game.

When they remade it (GBA and PSP) and gave it a standard M.P. system the game really lost its identity and one of the features that helped set it apart from most other console RPGs. It became less unique and more like every other RPG out there.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

yes getting rid of Spells Per Day was pretty stupid.

ive heard it argued that "WELL, MP IS THE SAME THING"

well, no it isnt.

1st 2nd 3rd 4th
    4/ 4/ 2/ 1

isnt the same as having like 90mp to divide up how you want. Less thought involved. Too easy!

man imagine if FF1 did like Ultima and made you mix your spells yourself and prepare them. That would be one hell of a challenge curve.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Go talk to everyone in Elfland after you have the Floater. Challenge ended. I win.
    Well well. Indeed.

It's been quite awhile since I've talked to anyone in FF that you get an item from or need to give an item to or actually need to talk to.
    I guess that's the way things were in those days.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ahh, what better way to ring in the new year than to finally put this tedious game to an end? It took a little less than 30 hours and my party was maxed out, blasting through everything with a pair of Judgement Staffs. (I'm guessing those weren't in the original? They allow anyone to cast Flare over and over again without penalty.) The only problem is that my Bestiary is only at 96%.

I have to say that while there was no more brain-bendingly stupid game design after the airship thing, the so-called bonus content is pretty laughable. It had a few amusing bits, but generally it's just level after level of semi-random maps, clearly done without even the consideration given to the main content.

I think I shall go play something fun now before daring to try Final Fantasy II.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Insert Coin (Level 0) Thrashdance's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j1e View Post
    I was going to buy FF 2 or 3 from gamereproductions some time soon. Which one of these would you guys suggest?

Of those games, I would recomend 2. I played it for the first time on the playstation origins version which has a way fucked gil earning system that dosnt give as much gil as your supposed to get....but that may be changed in the repro. Great game despite that defect though!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

The translation for FF2 on gamerepros is crap because it's the original English translation prototype. It is the full game, just not translated well. The FF3 one is of the good translation.

FF3 is pretty nice with your ability to change job classes whenever you want. It may be less story driven but it is still easier to understand than the repro of FF2. Plus the fact that is has no 2D remake.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Insert Coin (Level 0) EColeman24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is a tough one. I love all the Final Fantasy Games since I feel each has its strong points but if I had to choose my favorite between 1-6 I would say 4.

Strawberry (Level 2) tomaitheous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

GBA are the lowest on my list. Half res? No thanks. Degraded audio? No thanks. There's almost no reason to even choose the GBA versions anymore.

FF1 on PS1 and PSP. The audio is fantastic and the graphics are great. The PSP one has a little better graphics than the PS1 remake, but the PS1 doesn't have the motion blur like the PSP has - plus I like the style of the graphics more even if they are a little lower res than the PSP one.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ahh, what better way to ring in the new year than to finally put this tedious game to an end? It took a little less than 30 hours and my party was maxed out, blasting through everything with a pair of Judgement Staffs. (I'm guessing those weren't in the original? They allow anyone to cast Flare over and over again without penalty.) The only problem is that my Bestiary is only at 96%.

I have to say that while there was no more brain-bendingly stupid game design after the airship thing, the so-called bonus content is pretty laughable. It had a few amusing bits, but generally it's just level after level of semi-random maps, clearly done without even the consideration given to the main content.

I think I shall go play something fun now before daring to try Final Fantasy II.

Yikes lol, max lv in 30 hours, flare casting staff, boy they sure turned a very good classic into a joke.

PS. There is no design flaw with the Floater/airship, a disgn flaw would be, if they held your hand like modern games.
    Last edited by Zoltor; 01-03-2010 at 07:14 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The first time around is always tedious with RPGs in my opinion. You should try it again without the Judgement Staff and between lvl 18 to lvl 22 or so. It's much more fun than probably crushing every monster and boss you encounter. Just a suggestion.

What monsters don't you have? One is probably Warmech, another is probably the dinosaur-thing close to Lefein (near the Mirage Tower/Sky Castle). Both of them are tough to find unless you know where to look.

If you thought FF1 was tedious, I wouldn't even bother with FF2 unless it's one of the updated ones that fixes some of the problems. The original game is broken.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pseudonym View Post
    The first time around is always tedious with RPGs in my opinion. You should try it again without the Judgement Staff and between lvl 18 to lvl 22 or so. It's much more fun than probably crushing every monster and boss you encounter. Just a suggestion.
    He's talking about Dawn of Souls, not the original so level 18 - 22 wouldn't be possible unless you run from battles and gain no experience most of the game. The levels have also changed so that level 18 - 22 would be around level 40 on DoS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

He's talking about Dawn of Souls, not the original so level 18 - 22 wouldn't be possible unless you run from battles and gain no experience most of the game. The levels have also changed so that level 18 - 22 would be around level 40 on DoS.
    oh shi-

I need to try DoS out anyway, good to know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The originals IMO. Get fan translations for the unreleased ones and maybe hardtype IV.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pk116 View Post
    The originals IMO. Get fan translations for the unreleased ones and maybe hardtype IV.
    The original FF3 is terrible. FF3 DS is also terrible but atleast it's better than the original. The amount of flaws I could list that aren't on the prior titles in the series.

First off is the battle system. On FF3 the delay between character attacks is pretty high. Just choosing attack for all your actions takes atleast half a minute(possible exaggeration but close.) The characters walk forwards slowly, you choose the action, and then they walk backwards slowly. Repeat this option for four characters. During each attack they walk forward slowly and attack then walk back. Why couldn't they have left it as fast as FF1 and FF2 on the exact same system?

Next is the fact that it's close to the original Dragon Warrior in the amount you have to grind before you can move on to the next area. Or the retarded parts that you have to turn yourself Mini or Frog in order to progress, usually against enemies that are more difficult than the ones that you were previously against. So low defense against stronger enemies, grind or grind to buy better equipment. I don't care about "some" grinding. I'm a fan of anything Dragon Warrior 2 and later, however, when it goes to the large amounts of grinding that FF3 has, that's where it just turns me off.

Last is the classes. FF3 DS fixes it so the classes are somewhat different and they make it so a lot of classes are actually useful, however, in the original, you're probably going to be using a few of the same classes as most classes in the game are completely worthless and exactly the same other than a couple minor differences.

So yeah. FF3 is actually worse than FF11 in my opinion. FF11 has a few things above FF3. Classes are actually different and the game offers more variety.

So, FF3 DS > FF3. By far. Both the original and the DS version suck and is only given any sort of recognition because it has the name Final Fantasy on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

The original FF3 is terrible. FF3 DS is also terrible but atleast it's better than the original. The amount of flaws I could list that aren't on the prior titles in the series.

First off is the battle system. On FF3 the delay between character attacks is pretty high. Just choosing attack for all your actions takes atleast half a minute(possible exaggeration but close.) The characters walk forwards slowly, you choose the action, and then they walk backwards slowly. Repeat this option for four characters. During each attack they walk forward slowly and attack then walk back. Why couldn't they have left it as fast as FF1 and FF2 on the exact same system?

Next is the fact that it's close to the original Dragon Warrior in the amount you have to grind before you can move on to the next area. Or the retarded parts that you have to turn yourself Mini or Frog in order to progress, usually against enemies that are more difficult than the ones that you were previously against. So low defense against stronger enemies, grind or grind to buy better equipment. I don't care about "some" grinding. I'm a fan of anything Dragon Warrior 2 and later, however, when it goes to the large amounts of grinding that FF3 has, that's where it just turns me off.

Last is the classes. FF3 DS fixes it so the classes are somewhat different and they make it so a lot of classes are actually useful, however, in the original, you're probably going to be using a few of the same classes as most classes in the game are completely worthless and exactly the same other than a couple minor differences.

So yeah. FF3 is actually worse than FF11 in my opinion. FF11 has a few things above FF3. Classes are actually different and the game offers more variety.

So, FF3 DS > FF3. By far. Both the original and the DS version suck and is only given any sort of recognition because it has the name Final Fantasy on it.
    You forgot the part where you complain that the game was made for a Nintendo system.
    Webmaster of the Cartoon Review Website!
    http://www.cartoonreviewsite.com

My sale thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So you played through a game you hated twice on two different systems? Gotcha. I don't think you actually hate it, but rather that you just like complaining, because you obviously have put a lot of time into the game.

As for me, I loved FF3 DS, though I never beat it because the final boss destroyed me very quickly, and I wasn't going to spend the two hours to get to that point again. Probably would have required some grinding to beat, or at the very least some luck. The amount of grinding during most of the game was minimal.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Evan_G View Post
    So you played through a game you hated twice on two different systems? Gotcha. I don't think you actually hate it, but rather that you just like complaining, because you obviously have put a lot of time into the game.

As for me, I loved FF3 DS, though I never beat it because the final boss destroyed me very quickly, and I wasn't going to spend the two hours to get to that point again. Probably would have required some grinding to beat, or at the very least some luck. The amount of grinding during most of the game was minimal.

Every word of this is true, Kupo you just like to whinge all the time and FF3 DS is great!
    zomg I have a sig