Insert Coin (Level 0) NytroSkull7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    NytroSkull7

Talking Next Gen System Help!

Well it comes the time that the newest systems are out with alot of the kinks worked out and i was wondering of the three ( PS3 XBOX360 WII ), in what order should i go about obtaining these and would it be easier to buy used.

THX! ~Nytro

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Uh, it's really up to you. Get whichever one that has the most games you're interested in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    NytroSkull7

I'm kinda looki toward more of a "you want this console if u like..." because i dont know what the systems have to offer. I would go read reviews on them but i like to here it from tru gamers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

You're asking everyone else to do the work for you. Really it comes down to reading reviews and seeing which one has the most games you're interested in, currently and coming out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Word of advice - Do NOT buy a 360 used.

The newer models seem to be doing better. But the older models, especially the launch models, are ticking time bombs.

It's only a matter of time before it red rings.

EDIT - I have all 3 next-gen consoles. My 360 and PS3 get more play than my Wii does. Infact, my Wii sits there, powered off, 90% of the time. Nintendo is still making good games, but the Wii's 3rd party game support is shit. And after about 3 days, the controllers' novelty wears off.
    Last edited by diskoboy; 06-22-2008 at 03:22 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    NytroSkull7

Quote Originally Posted by jcalder8 View Post
    You're asking everyone else to do the work for you. Really it comes down to reading reviews and seeing which one has the most games you're interested in, currently and coming out.
    i'm asking 4 an opinion that is all. its not about the games i'll buy what ever looks good after i buy a system. I never buy a system just for a game or two. i wanna know if xbox is the one you feel is appealing to the masses or if wii is what is the revolution of the videogame age. Srry, I dont mean to make it seem like others have to do the work for me. I just like opinions from all sides

thanx diskoboy i knew the first models were bad but i wasn't sure if they had gotten better batches out.
    Last edited by NytroSkull7; 06-21-2008 at 10:07 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You're really just asking for a whole can of worms to be opened - just take a look at some of the posts about the Wii to see how batshit people can get about defending their favorite system.

Anyway, I have a Wii and PS3 myself. The Wii is a fine system, but the online play is very blah and the graphics are about the same as a GC, so the PS3 makes a nice addition for more "hardcore" games like GTA4.

The Wii is getting a bit easier to find but still pretty much shoots off of store shelves. One thing to also keep in mind is that it's the cheapest system, but for a fully kitted-out system, you're going to spend a lot on accessories (a Wiimote/Nunchuk combo can run $60-70).

The PS3 is easy to find, if you're not looking for the elusive 60GB model with PS2 backwards compatibility. It is the most expensive of the three consoles, but it does have a Blu Ray player built in, and their online play is free.

I can't really say too much about the 360. I'll probably end up getting one eventually, but the RROD stories put me off for now.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll try to give you a non-biased review, since I own all three consoles:

XBOX 360: The XBOX 360 started out with some severe hardware problems, such as disc scratching and motherboard failures. All units manufactured after August 2007 have had this problem corrected with new mainboards to prevent the "red ring of death." The XBOX 360 has the greatest game library to choose from, with many high-quality titles being published with excellent multiplayer support.

Pros:
    • Next-generation hardware
    • Many titles of different genres to choose from.
    • Excellent online multiplayer support.
    • Ability to play XBOX 1 games.

Cons:
    • Previous hardware problems.
    • Only console without built-in WiFi (wireless internet, adapter costs $100.00).

Playstation 3: This console also makes use of next-generation graphic technology with a slight edge over the XBOX 360. It is also the only console with a built-in Blu-Ray player, which allows games and movies to store up to 50 gigabytes of data (HD video). Unfortunately, it has poor developer backing due to the complexity of the programming needed.

Pros:
    • Next-generation hardware, including Blu-Ray support.
    • Good online multiplayer support, with Wi-Fi.
    • Ability to play Playstation 1 and 2 games (60 and 80 gigabyte models only).

Cons:
    • Currently, few games to choose from compared to the XBOX 360 and Wii.
    • Packaged without high-definition/HDMI cables.
    • Most expensive console compared to the XBOX 360 and Wii.

Wii: Extremely popular with the casual gaming audience, or first time gamers due to the ease of the Wiimote wireless motion controller. Many innovative and unique games with various control methods (Wii Fit pad, Mario Kart wheel). Unfortunately, it uses last generation hardware (comparable to the Playstation 2, circa the year 2000). Many third-party titles are of extreamly poor quality; online play also suffers many problems.

Pros:
    • Innovative controller, many accessories.
    • Wi-Fi support.
    • Many titles to choose from.
    • Ability to play GameCube games, and download original "classic" titles.

Cons:
    • Most third-party games are of very, very low quality.
    • Poor online multiplayer support.
    • Last generation hardware, meaning games appearing on the 360 or PS3 probably will never show up on the Wii.
    • Cannot play DVDs.

Whew. In my personal opinion, after reviewing the above (and this is just me), I would choose the XBOX 360. It has more games, excellent online support, and most of the hardware glitces have been solved.

If you really want a Blu-Ray player, or aren't a real hardcore gamer who needs every single "exclusive" release, the Playstation 3 would be a good choice if you can afford it!

Despite the popularity, I'm sorry to say that I cannot recommended the Wii as a next-generation console, unless you fit the criteria above (non-gamer/casual gamer). The Wii is not a BAD system, but Nintendo really needs to rethink the way they are marketing it: they are leaving out the people that made their company a household name through the 80's and 90's.

Although I'm a Nintendo fan before I am a Microsoft or Sony fan, I'm still going to have to go with the XBOX 360, or the Playstation 3 as a second choice.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a Wii and a 360.

The Wii doesn't get played because I can't find games that hold my interest for more than five minutes.

The 360 doesn't get played because I'm scared it'll shut down all the power in my apartment like my first one did.

Do yourself a favor, and get a PS2. It's not next-gen, but you'll get a lot more enjoyment out of it.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can recommend all three for various reasons. The major crux is: If you're not hip with all this new fangled HD razzle-dazzle then I would suggest only Wii since you won't net any benefit from the others. In fact, from what I gather, playing a 360 or PS3 on an SD set is a huge detriment overall.

I myself only own a Wii because I'm not ready or willing for the HD cluster fuck just yet. The other reasons? Well, the 360 makes me nervous and the PS3 doesn't really offer much that the 360 doesn't. That and they both cost a shit-ton of cash that I don't have. Especially when you roll in the purchase of a new HD set (buying the Wii was a major expense and it is obviously the budget console this go). I'll get them when their current fanbase abandons them for the latest next-gen man-boy toybox. I'm fine with waiting. It worked wonders for me when I jumped on an Xbox just 6 months ago. I have spent less than $250 and have a system with two pads, two light guns and about 40 games. Pretty awesome huh?

A PS2 for $99 is still the best value overall for a new system. There are still many games at retail and many of the best games can be had in GH iterations for $20 or found used at common frequency. $30 for a used GC can't be beat and an original Xbox is able to be had (again, used) for $40-$50.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 06-22-2008 at 01:56 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I'll try to give you the most concise run-down as possible

PS3 - Awesome multimedia machine, non-proprietary HDD, Free online play, great backwards compatibility (in the case of 20/60/80 Gig models) increasing library of quality exclusives, built in Wi-Fi on 40/60/80 Gig models, built in HDMI on all

Wii - Awesome Nintendo 1st party titles, Wiimote controls (novel/innovative), Virtual Console and Wii Ware libraries have strong appeal, GC Backwards compatibility, built in Wi-Fi

360 - Biggest current-gen library, Best online interface ($50 per year), great library of XBLA games/exclusives/classics, downloadable HD movie/TV rental/purchase

Graphically the 360 and PS3 have the edge with 1080 output on a good number of titles and 720 on just about everything. 360 DOES have some backwards compatibility, but it's VERY spotty, not all models have HDMI built in, and the proprietary HDD sucks big time. Wii is currently going through limited downloadable content storage space growing pains with no solution in sight at the moment, and PS3 of course is STILL the least cost-effective system.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 06-22-2008 at 12:12 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Everybody else has summed up the pros and cons quite nicely, but for what it's worth, you don't need an HD set to enjoy 360 or ps3 games. It's kind of funny that many of the same people that say "good games are good games, graphics don't matter" are saying that next gen needs to be in HD to be worth it. I love my 360 and play it on a 6 year old set. Sure, I'm planning on buying an HD set in the near future, but I don't feel like my games are lacking right now. However, text can be hard to read, so if you're playing rpgs and are deaf than that can be a problem.

You say you never buy a system for just a game or two, so to me the 360 is the obvious choice. Both the Wii and the PS3 have a handful of great titles, but to me that's all they've got. A month with each system will be all you'll need to play and finish all of the great games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    NytroSkull7

thx for the feedback i love the perspective of more modern gamers and as i suspected 360 seems the more obvious choice, but PS3 didn't do too bad as far as opinions over reviews. I wasn't sure on the Wii and stilled mixed on a choice for when to get it but thanx again for the help.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NytroSkull7 View Post
    ... but PS3 didn't do too bad as far as opinions over reviews.
    The PS3 is a very nice system, it just doesn't have the game library that the 360 has yet. It's also the most expensive of the bunch which doesn't help. Once the games start rolling in I will definitely be buying one, but right now the only reason I see to own one is Metal Gear Solid 4.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

By the whole "Go Wii if no HD" thing I see it like this. Buying a $400+ console to play on a SD set is likened to slapping value-economy tires and steel wheels on a exotic sports car and calling it "alright". Of course it drives, but really now?

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm surprised that no one mentioned the extreme noise the 360 is generating.
    Thats really the only thing holding me off from buying one.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by etikette View Post
    I'm surprised that no one mentioned the extreme noise the 360 is generating.
    Thats really the only thing holding me off from buying one.
    The Wii and PS3 can and often do make lots of noise as well.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    The Wii and PS3 can and often do make lots of noise as well.
    Don't know about the PS3 but i noticed that the 360 is way louder than the Wii.
    I may be a bit cautious when it comes to loud consoles because i'm only 1-2 meters away from a console while playing (small tv :/).

Can't imagine watching a movie or playing a game with a moderate volume setting on the 360 because i get easily distracted by such things.

I hope Microsoft fixes this problem with the next hardware revision.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

Xbox360 for games
    PS3 if you have an HDTV, Blu-Ray makes puts it past the 360; IMO.
    Wii if you have children or are easily amused.

I would get the X360 or PS3 first and then add a Wii later...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ThoughtBomb

Get a 60gb PS3, buy all 4 Metal Gears, and do nothing more. You'll be just fine. Haha.
    Seriously, you need to think about which games are out on each of the systems that would appeal to you the most. If there's one thing I've learned as a universal gamer, it's that it really depends upon one's personal "appetite" for certain games. If your the kind of person who likes to revisit older games or play old games you've never played, while at the same time trying new ones, go for a PS3 or a Wii. The Wii has the largest back catalog of the 3 systems with more coming each day, plus their ever-popular line up of first-party games (Zeldas, Marios, Metroids) that never disappoint. Aside from that & the Wiimote function games and such, there's not much else. If your straight about the newness, go for a 360. It's got the best online setup from what I understand, and it also has an extensive catalog of online retro games and current gen titles as well. My personal fave would have to be the 60gb PS3 I bought used, simply because it's got the double PS/PS2 backward compatibility for the titles I already own, as well as titles I continue to collect for both systems, and of course the library of good games that are beginning to come out for it. I don't take sides, I always tend to go for what's going to entertain me the most. That's what you need to think about firstly.
    Oh no! The truck have started to move!!