Thread: Wii Virtual Console Trial Games?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Wii Virtual Console Trial Games?

I heard that Wii Virtual Console has a free trial version of some games.

Have all the games on the VC been given a free trial or only certain games? Does anyone have/know where to find a list of these trial games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by finisher View Post
    I heard that Wii Virtual Console has a free trial version of some games.

Have all the games on the VC been given a free trial or only certain games? Does anyone have/know where to find a list of these trial games?
    I think the only place you can get demos of some VC games is Super Smash Bros Brawl

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by joedick View Post
    I think the only place you can get demos of some VC games is Super Smash Bros Brawl
    I'm kinda confused about that. The only "place" is SSBB?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The VC itself doesn't offer any demos or trial versions of any of the games sold through the VC on the Shop Channel itself.

However, in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, there is a section in the game that offers some short 20, 30, and 60 second demos of games. The only other section to get demos is on the Nintendo Channel, where you can download demos to your DS just like you can at retailers through DS download service.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really wish they would do this, especially for the Wii Ware stuff...

Personally, I don't like shelling out $$ on games I haven't played. I know there are reviews out there but one man's trash is another's treasure...just because one guy likes a game doesn't mean I'm going to.

Truth be told, this has really halted my purchases, I don't buy any other game this way (without having played them first)...why would I start now?

Take a hike, wang-broom!
    I swear I can smell your stinky hands from here!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well..at least with a few of the WiiWare games, they first existed as Java or Flash games on website that were free to play. So with games like Defend your Castle and such, you know basically what to expect from the game. Also that latest 360 top down shooter that begins with Prot.... That was a PC game first and there is a demo of that available to grab and check out as well.

Still, they should offer some sort of time limited demo or something. They were able to do it with the SSBB games...they should be able to do this with all of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not likely to happen... Nintendo's business model for the VC is based on people getting some nostalgia after seeing a title and downloading the game. If they released demos for the VC games, it'd cut down on a lot of the downloads.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Koch View Post
    Not likely to happen... Nintendo's business model for the VC is based on people getting some nostalgia after seeing a title and downloading the game. If they released demos for the VC games, it'd cut down on a lot of the downloads.
    I definately agree with this as there are quite a few nes games I've bought at thrifts for a couple bucks thinking of all the fun I had as a kid playing it and then after 2 minutes realize how bad the game is now and if not also buying for a collection it wouldn't be something I'd keep.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Koch View Post
    But that doesn't work for the Wiiware. There are some great looking games that aren't flash/java, but a trial "try before you buy" would mean I'd buy a lot more Wiiware games.

But I do agree that the "Nostalgia" pull is strong! It's sad though that games like Paradroid are more expensive on the Wii's Virtual Console than they are when they were released! :S

Retro Garden - Retro Games blog and Retro Gaming Forum!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, I didn't realize the Wii didn't feature demos. I can understand that for the VC games, but everything else would probably benefit. I try demos on the 360 all the time and they have convinced me to buy a number of games. Go Nintendo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Wii's small HD wouldn't allow for demos of Wii games. Besides that, with budget/minigame nature of many Wii games, again it wouldn't make business sense for companies to release demos of those types of games anyway.

Nintendo probably doesn't want to do demos of Wiiware games for the same reason, ie how could you do a demo for something like Star Soldier R, which last for 5 minutes at the longest?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is off topic and I apologize, but it is a small peeve of mine when I see people refer to the Wii as having a HD or HDD or Hard drive..etc. The Wii has no such thing in it?! It uses flash memory not unlick what you have in your common USB thumb drives only it is integrated into the system for faster access.

I know it is habit, but really, if the Wii did have a hard drive of any kind on it, it would have been found out as to how to change it out and make it bigger by now yes?

As for the demo issue again. The best we are likely to get will be videos of gameplay and screenshots along with preview hands on articles as we have now.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, it's real bogus that Nintendo doesn't offer demos for those VC WiiWare games. I just don't buy them. They all look like shit, anyway, and the one I did buy (Defend Your Castle) was shittier than even the (low quality, mostly) XBLA games.

I think it really comes down to two factors: Nintendo is hell-bent on proving that "omgz peoplez don't want the online and the technology!111" and they want to stuff their goddamn pockets with as much cash as they can get from suckers who buy those crappy, horrible WiiWare games. And the overpriced VC ones...

Insert Coin (Level 0) Garry Shandling's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by finisher View Post
    I'm kinda confused about that. The only "place" is SSBB?
    Gary Shandling

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with smokehouse, retrogarden, and carlcarlson. If I were able to demo WiiWare games for a minute or two, I probably would've bought some that I'm on the fence about.

Quote Originally Posted by unwinddesign View Post
    Yeah, it's real bogus that Nintendo doesn't offer demos for those VC WiiWare games. I just don't buy them. They all look like shit, anyway, and the one I did buy (Defend Your Castle) was shittier than even the (low quality, mostly) XBLA games.
    Yes, some WiiWare games are horrible (SPOGS Racing, Pong Toss: Frat Party Games, Protothea, etc.), but some are great and look very nice (LostWinds, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King, Dr. Mario Online Rx, etc.). Overall, Defend Your Castle received a 6.7 out of 10. It's mindless fun, but not the best example of what can be done on WiiWare.

Next time, check the review scores before you buy:

Top 30 and Bottom 40 Wii games (including WiiWare)