Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which last gen titles WILL be rare??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    cloneholt
    PSN
    cloneholt

Default Which last gen titles WILL be rare??

This topic could almost fall into the classic gaming category at this point, but I think technically it belongs here.

As I sift through bins of Xbox, GC, and PS2 games I see many titles that I've never seen before - even after 7-8 years of being in existence. Since the online rarity guide doesn't rate this "last gen" for rarity yet (other than a 0 or 1), I was wondering which games seem to be rare. Here are a couple of examples of games that I saw this weekend that I have NEVER seen before:

Freaky Flyers (Xbox) - don't have any recollection of it's release or any talk of the game itself. Looks fun though and my kids are having a good time with it.

Drive For Life (Xbox) - this game is all Volvo products and almost looks like something you'd get for test driving a real Volvo. The manual is almost a brochure for the car, discussing features and promoting the Volvo line, rather than gameplay.

Ford Bold Moves Street Racing (Xbox) - similar to the Volvo game above, but more game oriented.

There were a couple more including some GC games, but I can't remember them right now. So, the question is what games do you guys consider "rare" from last gen?

Also, if information on these titles is needed for the database (as the two car games aren't currently listed) I can definitely scan the boxes or manuals if that would be helpful!
    Last edited by Deadman; 06-23-2008 at 11:00 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I worked for a game store a couple years back, we couldn't get rid of Freaky Fliers no matter how hard we tried. Since the store was in a college city and the cover art looked pretty goofy, that may be why. I could potentially see it being a little harder to find, but I doubt it will ever be worth any money. That's just my personal opinion based on the experience I had with it and I'm glad your children are enjoying it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

easiest way to make sure you wind up with all the rares is to buy EVERY SINGLE LAST GEN GAME THATS FOR SALE!!! or just try to read the trends, rpgs always seem to go up in price so obscure rpgs that are alot of fun are the first things i can think of to get your hands on. Cool wierd ultra japanese imports. the big names wont really become rare but will have a constant demand which can artificially inflate prices (ie ff7).
    For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle.

DP Feedback Thread
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ight=mrsparkle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Psychonauts and Stubbs The Zombie, For two. I remember seeing ads for Freaky Flyers back in 2003 or so, But I never picked up a copy. I saw a copy in the last year or so for $4 used in Fye or Gamestop.
    Last edited by Slate; 06-23-2008 at 12:18 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

for last gen, I would say grab what is already worth a little bit on ebay, and chances are they may retain some form of value (Marvel VS. Capcom 2, Metal Gear solid 3 Subsisence LE) those are refering to PS2 games. I also tend to try and pick up the obscure RPGs that have been put out. NIS and Atlus rpgs tend to keep some form of value. Also if you were to keep certain games sealed such as those RPGs, you'll probably get a bit more for them.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Drive for Life might actually end up being hard to find.

Thing is, the games that WILL be rare are the one no one cares about. Market saturation was huge this generation, leaving few OMG RARE possibilites. Stuff might be hard to find reigionally, but I think that RARE will be a very choice word this go-round.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The PS2 version of Marvel vs. Capcom 2 seems to go for a lot on ebay. I bought the PS2 version for £20 a while back, and I think it's holding it's value well, maybe increasing....

Retro Garden - Retro Games blog and Retro Gaming Forum!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    cloneholt
    PSN
    cloneholt

Quote Originally Posted by nestlekwik View Post
    When I worked for a game store a couple years back, we couldn't get rid of Freaky Fliers no matter how hard we tried. Since the store was in a college city and the cover art looked pretty goofy, that may be why. I could potentially see it being a little harder to find, but I doubt it will ever be worth any money. That's just my personal opinion based on the experience I had with it and I'm glad your children are enjoying it.
    It plays a little like a Mario/DK flying game, also somewhat like Toy Commander from the DC era. Pretty fun game I have to say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    cloneholt
    PSN
    cloneholt

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    Drive for Life might actually end up being hard to find.
    After having played it for about 10 minutes, it might be hard to find but it will NEVER be desirable. Ugh. Again, I don't know the origins of it, but it might as well say "Thanks for Test Driving a Volvo" on the front, as it is just an ad for their 2005 models.

What's funny is that it has terrible driving physics, but it's supposed to be an ad for their traction and driving control systems. With their control system "on", the car corners like it's on rails. You can take a 90 degree turn at just about full speed. Yeah, I'm sure it's just like the real thing....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    cloneholt
    PSN
    cloneholt

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    for last gen, I would say grab what is already worth a little bit on ebay, and chances are they may retain some form of value (Marvel VS. Capcom 2, Metal Gear solid 3 Subsisence LE) those are refering to PS2 games. I also tend to try and pick up the obscure RPGs that have been put out. NIS and Atlus rpgs tend to keep some form of value. Also if you were to keep certain games sealed such as those RPGs, you'll probably get a bit more for them.

As far as value goes, it's pretty easy to tell which ones are gonna hold up better - including the RPG's and known franchises, like SW: KOTOR II etc. I was just more curious about which ones you guys thought would be tough to find down the road, like Psychonauts, etc. Another one that I rarely see is that SeaWorld Shamu game. Every once in a while I'll see it and when I do, it usually goes for at least $10-15 used! I would think that it must be a rarity issue, because is it really that good of a game??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chrozi

I had a hard time finding Battle Engine Aquila for a while.
    "Oh my lord it's nutty, yup!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Really anything by Atlus. I'd also say gitaroo man, pyschonauts, and some of the psp games that were recently ported to ps2.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by calgon View Post
    Really anything by Atlus. I'd also say gitaroo man, pyschonauts, and some of the psp games that were recently ported to ps2.
    other than the metal gear solid 3: LE, I think the console games aren't going to be so much rare than they are desireable to drive values up. If something like Final Fantasy 7 can get the amounts that it does on ebay and whatnot, whats to say FFX or something like that won't do the same? maybe not those titles specifically but I'm sure you catch my drift. Careful with Atlus titles because a lot of them have been reprinted (Nocturne, Disgaea) and the likes. I don't really see there being much for rarities on original xbox though.

As far as the PSP goes (and DS for that matter), you may have a better chance of your game being rare down the line (Etrian Odysey, any game that only been available through online orders, games such as Castlevania: PoR that you have the desirable pre-order bonuses for). Will there ever be a chance of there being R6+ games? highly doubtful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

The original Xbox Ninja Gaiden still seems to be fetching a hefty price tag. Used copies are still going for about $25-$30, here. Depending on where you shop.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OutRun 2006 Coast 2 Coast (Xbox version). There was even a little heated discussion for a while as to whether it actually came out or not in the US ... I snagged one for $14.99 new a few months ago.

Anecdotal reports from the field:

ToeJam & Earl III on Xbox seems to have had a relatively small run for an Xbox game, and I've only seen one copy of the GameCube version of Dragon's Lair 3D. I can't tell whether Ikaruga (GameCube) is uncommon or just so cherished that no one trades it in.

Those are a few off the top of my head.
    DP Buy/Sell feedback is here: GM80's Feedback Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We've discussed this for the Xbox, Gamecube, PS2, and GBA before. Here's the threads:

Rare Xbox Games
    THE rarest Gamecube game?
    Rare PS2 Games?
    Rarest GBA Games

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSpace View Post
    We've discussed this for the Xbox, Gamecube, PS2, and GBA before. Here's the threads:

Rare Xbox Games
    Rare PS2 Games?
    Rarest GBA Games

I agree. Why not use the search function and bring back those threads from the dead, if you want to know. And if you read them, they mention some of the very same titles that people are calling "rare" here.

But, this is one of those debates that won't be that valid for another year or two. Some of the in demand Atlus titles on the PS2 are still going through reprints.

Psychonauts rare? Under $10 at a Blockbuster near you.

Outrun 2002: Coast 2 Coast- just sold one here for $8 shipped because I found a CIB copy for $10 at BB.

This thread is just pure speculation right now... but there's nothing wrong with speculatin' is there?

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Even without the reprints I think Atlus gets too much credit for putting out rare games. Maybe they did before but Atlus has grown fairly prominent lately justifying larger print runs. Add that together with Sony's minimum print run requirements and I think people expecting Atlus titles to become rare are in for a wake up call. The only games I could see from Atlus being relatively rare are ones that came out around now because at the tail end of the PS2's life I'd imagine print runs would be shorter all around. Even so, would something like Arcana Heart be rare? I'm sort of doubting it. Every store I go to has at least 3 copies. We're out of that bubble where anything with Atlus on it is an automatic rarity. Hell, I bet a good number of Atlus PS2 games end up not being very pricey either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    cloneholt
    PSN
    cloneholt

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    Even without the reprints I think Atlus gets too much credit for putting out rare games. Maybe they did before but Atlus has grown fairly prominent lately justifying larger print runs. Add that together with Sony's minimum print run requirements and I think people expecting Atlus titles to become rare are in for a wake up call. The only games I could see from Atlus being relatively rare are ones that came out around now because at the tail end of the PS2's life I'd imagine print runs would be shorter all around. Even so, would something like Arcana Heart be rare? I'm sort of doubting it. Every store I go to has at least 3 copies. We're out of that bubble where anything with Atlus on it is an automatic rarity. Hell, I bet a good number of Atlus PS2 games end up not being very pricey either.
    Actually, I personally don't think ANY PS2 games are ever going to be rare. Why? Take a look at any used game store and you'll see 5 times the number of games over Xbox and Gamecube. That system was supported like crazy (and still is) and I think that game manufacturers just made more of each game because of the bazillion PS2 units out there! The PS2 outsold the Xbox by what, 3 times, 5 times, 10 times? Gimme Marvel vs. Capcom 2 for the Xbox over the PS2 for rarity any time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    cloneholt
    PSN
    cloneholt

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSpace View Post

Rare Xbox Games
    Rare PS2 Games?
    Rarest GBA Games
    Very helpful, thanks! Apparently I don't work the search engine correctly, as I just can't find them that quick.

You guys can lock this one if you want and take it to the old one.