Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which last gen titles WILL be rare??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Deadman View Post
    After having played it for about 10 minutes, it might be hard to find but it will NEVER be desirable. Ugh. Again, I don't know the origins of it, but it might as well say "Thanks for Test Driving a Volvo" on the front, as it is just an ad for their 2005 models.

What's funny is that it has terrible driving physics, but it's supposed to be an ad for their traction and driving control systems. With their control system "on", the car corners like it's on rails. You can take a 90 degree turn at just about full speed. Yeah, I'm sure it's just like the real thing....
    I did a quick Google search and it was made as a promo item for Volvo dealers. As for the goofy driving physics, the game was developed by Climax, who did the Runabout games.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

don't lock this thread --- those other threads are like 5 years old and really out of date.

to wit:

for this last generation, with few exceptions, rarity isn't based so much on quantity but on condition. sealed games are "rare" to the extent that most people ripped open the game and played it vs. the actual print run.

if there are any "rare" games, in terms of quantity, from this last generation, they are label variations, not certain titles.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are several low print run PS2 games, the two i can think of off the top of my head:

Gundam Battle Assault 3 - GameStop didn't even have this title in their system. It was delayed for months and had a stealth release. There aren't any copies on ebay.

Red Star - Small initial print run. There was going to be a second print run, but i don't know if it ever happened.

There are some other rare titles that never really made it to retail too, like the original Acclaim version of Juiced. There are thousands of copies, but it never made it to stores.

The "Microsoft Store" copies of xbox games are going to be pretty damn hard to track down too (different covers).

If you want to go outside of the US, there are plenty of rare titles for all 3 systems:

PS2 - Japan - PlayStation 2000 festival games.
    Xbox - NUDE Limited Edition

If you're looking for something "rare" to collect, there are plenty of oppertunities in the previous gen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    cloneholt
    PSN
    cloneholt

Alright. Tonight I headed out to do a little research and found a few interesting items at four local GameStops.

Items from the other "Rare Xbox" thread:

Air Force Delta Storm - found one tonight, listed at $19.99

Phantom Crash - found one for $2.99, but it was beat to crap with no manual. Torn, chewed, and more.. ugh...

Castlevania: Curse of Darkness - found one for $9.99

Other interesting items that I found are:

Metal Dungeon by Xicat - perfect, complete with manual for $4.99. I've never seen this game before, so I grabbed it.

The Bible Game by Crave - I couldn't believe it! Never seen or heard of this before and the guys at the GameStop where I found it had just gotten it traded in today and said it was the first they'd seen since it's release 4 years ago. A very quirky game, so I had to grab it.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Alright. Tonight I headed out to do a little research and found a few interesting items at four local GameStops.

Items from the other "Rare Xbox" thread:

Air Force Delta Storm - found one tonight, listed at $19.99

Phantom Crash - found one for $2.99, but it was beat to crap with no manual. Torn, chewed, and more.. ugh...

Castlevania: Curse of Darkness - found one for $9.99

Other interesting items that I found are:

Metal Dungeon by Xicat - perfect, complete with manual for $4.99. I've never seen this game before, so I grabbed it.

The Bible Game by Crave - I couldn't believe it! Never seen or heard of this before and the guys at the GameStop where I found it had just gotten it traded in today and said it was the first they'd seen since it's release 4 years ago. A very quirky game, so I had to grab it.

As far as what you've mentioned, I'll comment on what I've seen. I've seen the bible game a just few times, but never thought to buy it. Castlevania I've seen quite a few times in FL and SC for $10-$15, and wouldn't consider it rare. I've seen Metal Dungeon once, and bought it only because I had never heard of it. It got pretty poor reviews.

EDIT: And as far as what ProgrammingAce mentioned below. I've seen Xyanide in SC and FL at Blockbusters for $6.99 multiple times in the past year.
    Last edited by TheDomesticInstitution; 06-23-2008 at 10:57 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Few more:

Xbox - Lotus Challenge (did this even see release?)

Xbox - Yourself Fitness - You can still find this in some stores, but it was a stunted print run due to a lawsuit.

Xbox - Xyanide - End of console game, small print run. Title is damn hard to read off the box...

There's another one, Carnival somthing or other... The box doesn't even pass microsoft's certification requirements. I'll have to look up the name of the game later, it's not even on Microsoft's release list.
    Last edited by ProgrammingAce; 06-23-2008 at 10:57 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    Few more:

Xbox - Lotus Challenge (did this even see release?)
    Yes, and it was actually titled Motor Trend Lotus Challenge. It's a common sight among the budget Xbox titles, at least around here.

However, the game was later ported to the Gamecube, losing the Motor Trend license, and was only titled "Lotus Challenge." This version of the game can be pretty tough to track down.

Speaking of Gamecube racers, here's three more I hardly ever see in the wild - Rally Championship, F1 2002, and City Racer.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Alot of the games mentioned in this thread are very common , especially freaky flyers theres a ass load in the bargin bin at my local circuit city and gamestop for 5 dollars a pop.
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

pretty much everything listed in this thread is common. it is going to be hard not to be able to find a title from this last generation.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

By most accounts, NCAA College Basketball 2k3 for the Gamecube is the rarest retail release out of the PS2/GCN/Xbox with only about 6,000 copies.

I think perhaps most rarities will come in the form of bonus giveaways or demo discs and that kind of stuff. The things that nobody really thinks much about until you learn years later that only 1,000 were ever printed.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i still think that with this generation - if you've opened it you've killed whatever rarity it had. you now have a common game on your hands.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    cloneholt
    PSN
    cloneholt

Quote Originally Posted by backguard View Post
    i still think that with this generation - if you've opened it you've killed whatever rarity it had. you now have a common game on your hands.
    I have to say that this thread has already been very enlightening, along with the other thread that was referenced earlier. The games that one person considers to be rare seem to almost always be warming the shelves at another persons local shops. Xyanide was mentioned here but I see it at at least half of the GameStops that I shop at here and I even saw it twice tonight. Where I found the Bible Game and Volvo Drive for Life for the first time ever, others are probably sick of them clogging up the bargain bins where they are. It truly shows that rarity must be regional.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

World Heroes Anthology may end up being uncommon, if not rare, due to the few shops that actually stock it.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've still never seen another Xbox copy of "Outrun: Coast 2 Coast" in my area.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Complete PlayStation2 Linux kit? Surely this will be much rarer than anything sold at retail?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The games that one person considers to be rare seem to almost always be warming the shelves at another persons local shops. Xyanide was mentioned here but I see it at at least half of the GameStops that I shop at here and I even saw it twice tonight. Where I found the Bible Game and Volvo Drive for Life for the first time ever, others are probably sick of them clogging up the bargain bins where they are. It truly shows that rarity must be regional.

That's exactly what I learned from the other threads. Just because they haven't been updated in a while doesn't mean there isn't a lot of good info there. I still see new xbox games all the time I didn't know existed. I've also browsed ebay heavily in the past for completed auctions- and while prices may not reflect rarity they do give an idea of the more popular or in demand titles. Ones I always look out for- and will pick up even if I already have a copy (and if the price is reasonable)...

XBOX
    MvC2 (don't own and seen anywhere but GS for $60)
    Sniper Elite (great game)
    Jedi Knight
    Jedi Academy
    Stubbs the Zombie
    Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis
    Fatal Frame

I'm sure there are a few more- oh and there's still that Barbie Game too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheDomesticInstitution View Post

I'm sure there are a few more- oh and there's still that Barbie Game too.
    I made a good 30 off that there Barbie game after I bought and resold one I found at goodwill. Even though I knew I would make money it was still rough getting those looks from the staff after telling them I want that Barbie game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Air Force Delta Storm - definitely not rare. Two copies exist in this house!

http://xbox.gamespy.com/xbox/volvo-drive-for-life/ <- cancelled? But OP says he has a copy...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thetoxicone View Post
    I made a good 30 off that there Barbie game after I bought and resold one I found at goodwill. Even though I knew I would make money it was still rough getting those looks from the staff after telling them I want that Barbie game.
    And if you say "It's a gift" no one still ever believes you.

Banana (Level 7) snes_collector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    Gundam Battle Assault 3 - GameStop didn't even have this title in their system. It was delayed for months and had a stealth release. There aren't any copies on ebay.
    I had know idea they even made this, how does it compare to the first 2?

As for GC, some of the hardness to come by are:

NCCA College Basketball 2K3( only 6,000 copies printed)
    Bust-A-Move 3000( TRU exclusive)
    Pokemon Box ( Pokemon store exclusive)
    F1 2002 ( pretty early release, I've personally never saw a copy in a game store ever.)

A couple of the Disney Sports games are kinda hard to find aswell.